News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator with a mind of its own

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 01, 2020, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Went to a local  50 mile cruise in today and on the way I noticed the volt meter was jumping between 10-14 volts. To add to it the fan belt would scream occasionally. I checked the alt. bolt with a hand held meter and got the same readings. Its four years old with 1000 miles on it at the most and has been fine till today. It is a dual field alt. and one field is grounded. The regulator is a blue MP. unit and the battery is new this summer. Not sure of the alt. rating output. Ideas ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

resq302

I'd start by checking that all of the grounds are good.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: resq302 on January 01, 2020, 11:21:21 PM
I'd start by checking that all of the grounds are good.

Yep done already, today I tapped it with a hammer while running, don't know if it did anything but took a short drive and was good so far. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser