News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Panel Bonding a qtr panel skin?

Started by oldcarnut, January 11, 2020, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Im going to replace my rusted and dented qtr panel with a skin I got from AMD.  Goes almost to the top of trunk level.  No body shops around me does this work and
I'm hesitant to weld it myself.  I have thought about the use of panel bonding combined with some welds but would like to know if anyone has done this and what were if any problems.  3m 08115 seems to list ok for it and 07333 for structural attachments.  At least I wouldn't have to worry about much warping from welding and the seems would be sealed from moisture.  I'm wondering if the joint line will end up showing through the paint?  Experiences or concerns please.

tan top

sorry this is not the answer your looking for, NO don't do it . while some modern car makes use some bonded on body panels, & prolly more do now ! since ive been  out of body & paint altogether  for a few years .  its for complete panels like a roof skin , not  joining a panel to another like you would if welding except where weld your now using glue ,  no matter what you do the join will show through sooner or later , more like prolly soon as you drive the car or slam a door or trunk lid , while  bonding could be successfully used to glue the quarter outer wheel lip to inner wheel well lip ( instead of the factory spot  weld ( pinch weld ) but the charger body shell was / is a unibody ! meaning its welded design relies on all the stamped body parts welded together to maintain structural integrity. yes some might argue what happens  when a car has had a lot of rust repair with ground down seam welds . plug welds etc ! but its still welded , it may or may not behave in a crash as they did when they were new but they are still welded not stuck with glue .

IMO would  buy mig welder learn properly  & watch videos of body repair etc  then attempt rear quarters or start with something smaller first. your save your self a lot of heartache  time & money forget  gluing quarters on .  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nchrome

oldcarnut check out junkerups videos they will help you out doing your quarters if ya ant it done rite and cheep buy a mig welder or even rent one and do it you won't regret it. Did mine aren't perfect but l'm okay with what l did. That's junkerup.com

DAY CLONA

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 11, 2020, 05:12:52 PM
Im going to replace my rusted and dented qtr panel with a skin I got from AMD.  Goes almost to the top of trunk level.  No body shops around me does this work and
I'm hesitant to weld it myself.  I have thought about the use of panel bonding combined with some welds but would like to know if anyone has done this and what were if any problems.  3m 08115 seems to list ok for it and 07333 for structural attachments.  At least I wouldn't have to worry about much warping from welding and the seems would be sealed from moisture.  I'm wondering if the joint line will end up showing through the paint?  Experiences or concerns please.

Take the time and money to invest in a mig welder to attach the qtr properly or find a shop or individual in your area to do it for you, panel bonding is best left for repairing the latest Detroit junk that's disposable, I've done both over the years, nothing beats a panel structurally and long lasting as being welded

Mike

b5blue

My low dollar 70 Charger got some bonding repairs and they have held up. Some mapped a bit and one patch has developed a small hairline crack. I tried several swirl tip epoxy products but outdated cartridges, some as old as 5 years just kept showing up. Clamping the top seam over what about 6-7 foot would be problematic at best.  :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Even on a new cars 1/4 panel you do not get a patch usually but the entire 1/4 panel & even on these it is recommended from the factory (both auto factory & adhesive bonding company) that the outer exterior viseable part gets welded. I've glued on many new 1/4's for Chryslers new cars damaged in Transit. LEON.

Highbanked Hauler

I have used 3M bonding material  since it came out and is a great material but 3M will tell you in sticking on a quarter you WELD in a few places. With a skin on a Charger  it is wise to weld around the tail light panel and  to the trunk floor extension and bond all the way along the bottom to the door. You can do the skin to the door post if it is welded on the top part. I did the skins on my sons Challenger  and it are still holding nicely as of last year.

I wouldn't recommend  bonding across the top of the quarter  because  of the heat from the sun as it did loosen at a given temp. and I don't remember what the temp. is.  I am going to use it on my 68 when I get that far. Good luck with your choice.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser