News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 firewall

Started by runningman, January 18, 2020, 05:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Not doing a 100% stock resto, I wondered if there are any firewall holes that can be welded up before my car is painted.  It was a non AC car but adding a Classic Air system and decided to go with American Auto wire wiring instead of the stock wiring.  I'll be doing Lizard Skin on the inside for sound deadening and heat barrier.  It's been forever but there were holes for mounting the stock insulation I believe.  It's electronic ignition and will be doing a one wire alternator so I think any external voltage regulator holes could be closed up and possibly the ballast resistor?  Any recommendations??  Thanks  Matt

metallicareload99

Quote from: runningman on January 18, 2020, 05:21:17 AM
Not doing a 100% stock resto, I wondered if there are any firewall holes that can be welded up before my car is painted.  It was a non AC car but adding a Classic Air system and decided to go with American Auto wire wiring instead of the stock wiring.  I'll be doing Lizard Skin on the inside for sound deadening and heat barrier.  It's been forever but there were holes for mounting the stock insulation I believe.  It's electronic ignition and will be doing a one wire alternator so I think any external voltage regulator holes could be closed up and possibly the ballast resistor?  Any recommendations??  Thanks  Matt

Sorry I don't have any real advice, but I'm definitely interested in doing something similar. How will you seal the new wiring?

Easier said than done,  especially if you're doing the work,  ;) but maybe make a template now of all the existing holes/points to reference and then weld them all up? Then once you know which ones you need as you put it back together you can redrill  :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

BLK 68 R/T

Why not do the lizard skin in addition to the factory insulation afterwards?

runningman

Quote from: metallicareload99 on January 22, 2020, 03:44:17 AM
Quote from: runningman on January 18, 2020, 05:21:17 AM

Sorry I don't have any real advice, but I'm definitely interested in doing something similar. How will you seal the new wiring?

Easier said than done,  especially if you're doing the work,  ;) but maybe make a template now of all the existing holes/points to reference and then weld them all up? Then once you know which ones you need as you put it back together you can redrill  :shruggy:

I'll probably run the wiring in the stock locations and wrap it like factory but will be adding relays for the headlights, horn and electric fans.  I need to figure out where to put those, I'm hoping there is room under the battery tray to mount them.  That's a good idea, I was thinking about doing that.  I need to get to the shop and make a template.

runningman

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on January 22, 2020, 02:55:27 PM
Why not do the lizard skin in addition to the factory insulation afterwards?

I can definitely do both, just not sure if it's necessary.  I figure the least amount of holes on the firewall the better.