News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Video of the #7 Ramo Stott Superbird in the 1970 ARCA 300

Started by ae8i, January 19, 2020, 08:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ae8i

There is some great footage of Ramo Stott and his #7 Superbird here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCqwihzuwk

The race is the ARCA 300 at Daytona on February 15, 1970. Ramo's win got him $5,900 and an asterisk in the racing record books, as this was the first win anywhere for Chrysler's new Superbird body style. Ramo led 89 of the 120 laps. Bobby Watson, also seen briefly in the video, finished second in his #8 Daytona. Ramo's average speed was 142.086 MPH, as the 300-mile race was slowed by five cautions, spanning 33 laps. One of those cautions was for pole-sitter Benny Parsons in his #98 427-powered Talladega, when he blew a tire and hit the wall.

By winning this race, Ramo earned a spot in one of the two NASCAR Daytona 500, 125-mile qualifying races. Ramo finished eighth in his qualifying race, started fifteenth in the Daytona 500 and finished eighth there also.

As many of you may know, Ramo's Superbird is now owned by a frequent poster here, Aero426.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Birdflu

Aero426

Good footage, indeed.   Thank you ae8i.       

Benny Parsons in the #98 Talladega was a favorite starting from the pole.   He lost a tire and inner liner and wound up in the wall in turns 1 and 2.      Ramo led a lot in the Superbird, but ran into ignition trouble mid-way.   The car would only pull 6200 rpm instead of the normal 6800.    Iggy Katona and his Charger 500 had the race in hand, but lost a tire and inner liner with just a few laps go.  You can see him spinning out on the banking.   Ramo got around Bobby Watson in the #8 Daytona and beat him to the flag.     

Aero426

Another shot from the Monday morning Daytona paper.

Aero426

Ramo beating Bobby Watson to the flag.

Aero426

The trophy and checkered flag shown in victory lane had become separated from the car.   I was able to buy them several years ago. 

odcics2

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2020, 10:36:31 PM
The trophy and checkered flag shown in victory lane had become separated from the car.   I was able to buy them several years ago. 

That is so cool!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2020, 10:36:31 PM

Really cool!  :yesnod:

Mopar John

Thanks to Ramo and Doug for preserving this Superbird all these years!
Now to see a nice clip of the Superbird in action and winning is GREAT!
MJ

ae8i

Quote from: odcics2 on January 20, 2020, 08:09:31 AM

The only reason the wing cars were made! RACE! 

And race it did!

Ramo (or his driver Lem Blankenship) drove the car in at least seventeen events from 1970 until 1972, making it one of the most prolific Superbirds ever raced, and the only one to compete in all three major sanctioning bodies – ARCA, NASCAR and USAC. The car won the ARCA 300 at Daytona, the Vulcan 500 Qualifier race at Talladega later in 1970, and at Michigan in 1972.

Ramo retired the car in September 1972, due to USAC rules making the Superbird ineligible to compete in 1973. Unlike all other race Superbirds known, Ramo opted not to modify the car to make it eligible to race after its years as a Superbird. He instead put the car in storage, keeping the chassis and sheet metal just as it was when the car was last raced in 1972. He sold the car in the late 1980s, it being the sole race Superbird surviving very much as it was during the aero car era.

A rare Bird, indeed!

Doug, the fiftieth anniversary of the car's win at Daytona is coming up in just a few weeks. Are we all invited to the party?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bannedbird

Thanks for the Video link.  Looks like we see a person taking THE picture of one of the Ford's in the newsprint pictures posted here.

I'm hoping the Ramo car will make it to the nearby June 28, 2020 "Mopars at the Park" show in Fox Lake IL 60041. The Disco-Tona is planning to be there.  My "Patina-Mod" Bird will be there.  Hopefully Brett's B5 Bird, Scott's R4 with red interior Daytona, and Dave's R4 Tona will be there to represent beautiful Day 1 cars.  All years of Mopars and Mopar Kin are welcome.

Should be a wide spectrum of Aero cars this year.  Having the race car would be nice.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

bannedbird

Disco-Tona and The Banned Bird should be at the show.  I think the Stott car would fit in!

bannedbird

In the opening scenes of the video the pace car leaves the pack and goes into pits.  What is the smoke coming from pace car?  Did they have some dust or something to dry off pit row?  I first thought too many people in car and tire rubbing a fender from the sway but the "smoke" continues when car is going straight.  I assume some drying agent on pavement.  That's not gravel or dirt surface is it?

bannedbird

I wonder if the car still has marks from the heels?

bannedbird

Quote from: bannedbird on January 25, 2020, 12:26:31 AM
Disco-Tona and The Banned Bird should be at the show.  I think the Stott car would fit in!

Thanks Doug! (he says he's bringing it!)
Have an opening for a Pro Mod superbird. Got to try this one next.
And all you are welcome to stop by Fox Lake IL June 28, 2020 (far north East Illinois). Small 120 car show, but fun.

Mytur Binsdirti

odcics2

Quote from: bannedbird on January 26, 2020, 05:27:53 PM

Yes, they are!

Doug is a very lucky guy to have an original sheetmetal race wing car!!!

Aero426

Quote from: bannedbird on January 26, 2020, 05:27:53 PM

There are plenty of small dents in the cowl.

Aero426

Quote from: ae8i on January 20, 2020, 10:12:57 AM

Doug, the fiftieth anniversary of the car's win at Daytona is coming up in just a few weeks. Are we all invited to the party?

The party is Saturday.  Who's coming?

ae8i

The party is Saturday.  Who's coming?

If I show up, can I stand on the cowl?

bannedbird

ae8i

Aero426

Congratulations to Ramo Stott on the 50th anniversary of his big win at Daytona in the ARCA 300, 2/15/70. Winning the ARCA race got him a free entry to the Daytona 500 which he qualified, ran and finished top 10 the next weekend. We got a little cake to celebrate tonight. Ramo's Daytona win was the first for the Superbird model.

WINGIN IT

Awesome Doug !
And the fact that you have the flag and the trophy too !! :cheers:

Birdflu

bannedbird

Aero426

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 16, 2020, 10:07:07 AM
Awesome Doug !

The Daytona flag and trophy had become separated from the car years ago.     They were not easy to acquire.   But it was defiintely worth it to get them back with the car where they belong.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 16, 2020, 08:33:02 PM
Awesome Doug !

The Daytona flag and trophy had become separated from the car years ago.     They were not easy to acquire.   But it was defiintely worth it to get them back with the car where they belong.

:notworthy:

WINGIN IT

Awesome Doug !

Agreed !
So did acquiring them involve sacrificing something else?  I am sure there is a good story behind you getting them.

Aero426

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 17, 2020, 12:31:05 PM
Awesome Doug !

The Daytona flag and trophy had become separated from the car years ago.     They were not easy to acquire.   But it was defiintely worth it to get them back with the car where they belong.

Agreed !
So did acquiring them involve sacrificing something else?  I am sure there is a good story behind you getting them.

It just took a long time.   Probably five years.    The short answer is that "not for sale" really means "offer more money".      :yesnod:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on February 17, 2020, 10:19:49 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 17, 2020, 12:31:05 PM
Awesome Doug !

The Daytona flag and trophy had become separated from the car years ago.     They were not easy to acquire.   But it was defiintely worth it to get them back with the car where they belong.

Agreed !
So did acquiring them involve sacrificing something else?  I am sure there is a good story behind you getting them.

It just took a long time.   Probably five years.    The short answer is that "not for sale" really means "offer more money".      :yesnod:

Ha, gotcha  ;)