News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best sold prices of Mopars at Barret Jackson,Mecum, ebay and your buys !!

Started by ACUDANUT, January 19, 2020, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Deals are out there folks.
I just saw a Maroon 69 Roadrunner 440 auto, that was awesome sell for only 20k. The guy had at least triple in this. :shruggy: :Twocents:

hemi-hampton

I seen a red 70 Hemi Cuda sell at Barrett Jackson for around $150k. Seller put almost $300k into a recent Restoration on it. SO, Seller lost about $150k. And people think you can make money flipping these cars. LEON. :scratchchin:

b5blue

Yup saw bunches of can't build for that deals. Even with that how would you figure actual storage costs over years if "investment"? I wonder how many buyers will wake up this week thinking: "why did I?" :scratchchin:

ACUDANUT

Yet our other thread of delusional sellers never stops.  :smilielol:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 19, 2020, 11:54:54 PM
I seen a red 70 Hemi Cuda sell at Barrett Jackson for around $150k. Seller put almost $300k into a recent Restoration on it. SO, Seller lost about $150k. And people think you can make money flipping these cars. LEON. :scratchchin:

And yet when I post realistic comments on junk "restoration" threads, I'm the bad guy.  :yesnod:

ACUDANUT

Mike DC

Restoring anything  =  hand-building it.  

If hand-building cars was profitable then Detroit would not use assembly lines.  

Restorations are normally money-losing operations.  The ones that do make money are the exceptions.  

Ghoste

Quote from: b5blue on January 20, 2020, 09:45:37 AMI wonder how many buyers will wake up this week thinking: "why did I?"

At least an equal number to the ones who will wake up thinking that old 69 Satellite that has been sitting in that swampy spot behind the barn for the last 35 years is worth at least as much as that Road Runner he just saw on tv. 

Aside from the crazy price bubble in the mid 2000's this rarely been a hobby where you got your money back on a car.  Thats why it's a hobby.

F8-4life

ACUDANUT

That Red/Maroon Roadrunner with a 440 Sold Way too cheap.  Someone lost their ass on it.

GreenMachine

When they were outside talking about the car, you could see the paint was very wavy. I'm sure it was more obvious in person, hence the low price.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 22, 2020, 01:16:41 AM
When they were outside talking about the car, you could see the paint was very wavy. I'm sure it was more obvious in person, hence the low price.

Looked great under the hood and under the skirt (frame).  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents:

NHCharger

Posted in one of my auto body groups. Guy paid 150k for this. Mid 70's Chevy PU. nothing rare or special about it from what I could see.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemi-hampton

hmmm, tough choice, if I was at Barrett Jackson with $150k to spend what should I buy, the 70 Hemi Cuda or mid 70's Chevy PU truck (with cracks in paint) :shruggy: :scratchchin: :slap:

ACUDANUT

150K for a Chevy P/U.  Even it was perfect, it ain't worth 20K.  :Twocents:

Mike DC

These auctions attract rich MoFos.  $150k is pocket change to some people these days.  They could misplace it and never notice it was gone.   

ACUDANUT

FJMG

Wasn't there a challenger hemi-convertible clone that went for 60k?

ACUDANUT

triple_green

I' always amazed at how cheap the cars go that are not sold in "prime time", I would be pissed if I was the owner of one of the cars that go for $20-30K in non-prime time spots and look like they must have at least double that into them.

I watched a little, but I didn't see many high end Mopars being offered in Prime time and those that were didnt look like they got big money.

Also interesting how many C1-C3 corvette restomods went for big money. Seems like just last year those were kind of shunned and the Bloomington Gold ones were getting the big money.

Prices on non-correct restorations seem to go up and down with the stock market. It up this year so non-stock stuff got bigger dollars...

Fire away..
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

b5blue

Yea Triple I saw the same effect. I think they save what they have deemed most interesting besty beststis for prime time. Ratings add to the insane raking in they reap. We get a quick jittery sweep of camera many times cheated of things flawed so the appearance is of a much better deal. (Again to drive buzz just like here.)

69bfan

I know that at Mecum, if you want your car to go up on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday prime spots, then expect to pay more of a fee to list the car.  Just like any event, prime coverage time with the largest audience in the room, TV exposure, etc. will end up costing more to schedule your car to go up during that day or time slot.

I have attended the past four Mecum Kissimmee auctions.  The second week of Thursday, Friday and Saturday cars are staged to gain the most exposure.  They have a more secure area away from dust and the weather exposure from being staged under the huge tents that are used for a large number of the cars.

So if you want to go up on say the last Friday at 4 PM when the feature cars go up, expect to pay more for that slot.  From my experience, some very good buys can be had very early into the day or at the very end of the day.  At the end of the day for say the last 30 cars, the audience is very small relative to what it would be at peak time.  Thus, the potential for two to three different bidders pushing the price up is reduced.  At this point in  the day, these cars are basically being bid on by the potential buyer who has checked the car out and is very serious on making the purchase.  Basically no serious competition from four to six guys like it can be during the prime time bidding spots.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

Ghoste

Unless Mecum does it differently than everyone else, it isn't as easy as just paying more for the spot you want.  Yes, those spots are more but auction houses typically reserve the right to have control over the final run order, which means you can't run your project car through at 2pm Saturday just because you paid for it.  There is a reason the non prime cars bring less money and it doesn't have as much to do with the run order as sellers think.  That is a factor but also very important is the car, if you bring a great car and it has been promoted properly, bidders will find a way to buy it.

Mike DC

These auctions are entertainment events.  TV shows.  They aren't gonna treat a fugly S-10 pickup the same as a Hemi Cuda no matter how much the owner pays.  

Ghoste

ACUDANUT

This all makes sense at BJ and Mecum, so lets focus on the best sold prices on the latter..Ebay, Here and Craigslist ect. :popcrn: :popcrn:

b5blue

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 29, 2020, 08:36:41 AM
This all makes sense at BJ and Mecum, so lets focus on the best sold prices on the latter..Ebay, Here and Craigslist ect. :popcrn: :popcrn:
Are you keeping notes? You were saying you may sell off your cars when you retire? (The auctions sure look like a fun way to do it!)

ACUDANUT

I Am already there. looking for a place to sell them. If I use ebay, it will cost the same as using a place such as gateway auto's.  I think I am going with them. :Twocents:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 29, 2020, 02:05:54 PM
I Am already there. looking for a place to sell them. If I use ebay, it will cost the same as using a place such as gateway auto's.  I think I am going with them. :Twocents:

Whatcha got that you're getting rid of?

Birdflu

eBay doesn't take anywhere near the commission as a dealer/broker, but you have to deal with all of the grief associated with the general public!  :brickwall:

hemi-hampton

" but you have to deal with all of the grief associated with the general public!"

That's the worst part. I'd pay extra to not have to deal with all the Assclowns :brickwall:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 29, 2020, 02:08:34 PM

Whatcha got that you're getting rid of?

To start off with, maybe a couple of  My 72 Big Block (Not 400 smog motors either) Rallye Chargers. Orange and Petty Blue.