News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl Wrapping

Started by JMF, January 20, 2020, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Just wondered if anyone has ever had their car vinyl wrapped ? , thinking of doing mine satin black just as a change but don't want to paint it, is it harder on an old car compared to a new car because of all the stainless trim etc ? Any pics would be great.

Also mine doesn't have any but I assume any imperfections like rust bubbling would show through on the wrap ? Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

I would not. Have a few friends with dedicated race cars that are wrapped. They dont ever see the street and are stored indoors. The wraps dont last. Then factor stone chips with a street car and its even less time.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JR

Right here man, I work in the industry.

The short answer is, wraps are by nature intended to be temporary.  It's not a total replacement to paint, nor was it ever intended to be.

3M 1080 and similar quality brands of wrap are warrantied to up to 7 years. Theyre advertised as being easily removable up til the three year mark. After that, the are removable, but more time consuming to do so.

As long as your current paint job was prepped and applied properly, there should be no issues with removal. If you have an earl sheib paint job that was a scuff and spray,  I'd advise not wrapping over that.

The durability of the wrap depends on how it's treated really. If you're playing Ken Block down gravel roads on a weekly basis, then nah, it's not gonna hold up. But then neither is paint.

You can also think of the wrap as the ultimate protective layer over your paint. While the wrap is applied, your paint is protected from UV exposure, chemicals, and abrasion.

I like the wraps overall, just be realistic about what you're expecting, and find a quality shop. Just like paint, a wrap is as good as the guy who installed it.

I'm going to be changing mine to black too soon. The chameleon color I picked out draws WAY too much attention.

I've had the same wrap on since February,  and my car usually sees 80mph interstate cruising, and there is still no peeking or rock chips. Anything hard enough to chip the vinyl, probably would have chipped the paint.

EDIT: if you have a facebook and want to see a walk around video of mine, here you go.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=432686730859720&id=100023551898343
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JR on January 20, 2020, 05:28:19 PM

I always like to hear from the guy that does the actual work, and JR if you don't mind a question?, I was curious if it's doable or wise to clear coat a wrap?, say a carbon fiber style wrap, or is their a gloss black carbon style wrap that has some legitimate/realistic gloss and depth to it to simulate a real carbon fiber lay up?

TIA
Mike

JR

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 21, 2020, 12:48:22 PM
Quote from: JR on January 20, 2020, 05:28:19 PM

I always like to hear from the guy that does the actual work, and JR if you don't mind a question?, I was curious if it's doable or wise to clear coat a wrap?, say a carbon fiber style wrap, or is their a gloss black carbon style wrap that has some legitimate/realistic gloss and depth to it to simulate a real carbon fiber lay up?

TIA
Mike

Well Mike, the "correct" way to do it (assuming you aren't using a textured vinyl)  is to apply an "over laminate" over the carbon wrap. The over laminate is basically a clear vinyl,  usually about 3 mil thick. Something like 3m 8518 is best suited for this. You can get decently close to the look of real clearcoat with it.

If you are using textured, well, that's definitely out of my wheelhouse. Personally, I've never tried to shoot clear over wrap.

(I'll say this assuming youre doing small pieces, and not an entire vehicle. I would never reccomended this on a complete exterior wrap.) assuming there's no chemical reaction, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would test it out on some scrap materials before spraying your actual parts. Maybe use a flex additive in the clear like they use on bumper covers, then spray 4 or 5 really thin coats that can be wet sanded smooth?

You're not trying to carbon wrap an entire vehicle, right? Just smaller parts? I wouldn't try this on an all over wrap, as the clear would make it an absolute nightmare to remove, but if we're talking small trim pieces, I could see trying it.

I'm genuinely curious now, no one's asked me about that before. If you try it, post up the results. I'd really like to know the answer to that one myself.

c00nhunterjoe

When we were looking at repainting the race car trailer, we shopped around between paint and wrap. Every shop local (very reputable) said paint over wrap. We asked about clearing over it to prolong it and they said it doesnt work well. Im not a body guy so i cant give their reasoning. But to wrap was considerably more money then paint, and the paint will last longer. We were told expect 5-6 years on the trailer at best if it is stored outdoors year round in my area with the wraps. (Heavy salt use in winter).

smithenhiven

I'm going to attempt vinyl wrapping my project Charger.  I cant afford proper paint and body work on it right now, so to get it looking half decent I'm going to try a wrap.  I've never attempted wrapping anything before, so it will a learning experience.  I've watched enough Youtube videos to get the basics and I'm pretty confident I can do it, certainly can't make it any worse than it already is.

Aside from clear coat, I have heard people adding ceramic coatings to vinyl wraps, just as they do to paint; and apparently that will help to extend the life of the wrap.

Mytur Binsdirti

The above post confirms my thoughts that vinyl wrapping is just a poor man's paint job.

Mike DC

Maybe so.  But that's no reason to hate on it.  

Muscle cars are inherently ghetto machines.  Big cheap engine + smaller cheap car + teenage immature marketing.  

Now they are worth money.  So what?  So are vintage comic books & Star Wars toys.  It's still just a certain generation's cheap old stuff that developed a rabid fan base. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 22, 2020, 09:06:46 AM

Maybe so.  But that's no reason to hate on it.  

You're confusing hate with speaking the truth.

timmycharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 22, 2020, 11:09:21 AM

Maybe so.  But that's no reason to hate on it. 

So those people who have brand new Ferraris or Lamborghinis vinyl wrapped do it because they can't afford a paint job?  Not so sure about that Mr. Turbin..

c00nhunterjoe

A gallon of tractor paint from tractor supply is 25 dollars.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: timmycharger on January 22, 2020, 11:16:20 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 22, 2020, 11:09:21 AM

Maybe so.  But that's no reason to hate on it. 

So those people who have brand new Ferraris or Lamborghinis vinyl wrapped do it because they can't afford a paint job?  Not so sure about that Mr. Turbin..

Those people have plenty of money, but in that case, having lots of money doesn't translate into having good taste.

tan top

:yesnod:                                            

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafCDU_kdOE

there are some interesting wrapping ideas about ,

quicker faster cheaper way to change the look of your car for a while  , NOT  something I would ever consider doing, each to their own  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nchrome

Wonder if ya mite try gold or chrome vinyl wrap on your ride  :2thumbs:

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: smithenhiven on January 22, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
I'm going to attempt vinyl wrapping my project Charger.  I cant afford proper paint and body work on it right now, so to get it looking half decent I'm going to try a wrap.  I've never attempted wrapping anything before, so it will a learning experience.  I've watched enough Youtube videos to get the basics and I'm pretty confident I can do it, certainly can't make it any worse than it already is.

A professional who is very skilled at his craft always makes it look look easy on videos.

smithenhiven

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 23, 2020, 04:59:46 AM
Quote from: smithenhiven on January 22, 2020, 07:56:42 AM

A professional who is very skilled at his craft always makes it look look easy on videos.

So do several amateurs, so we'll see how it goes.

The wrap will be a temporary stop-gap to give the car a somewhat decent appearance for the time being.  If a wrap last 5-7 years, then in that timeframe I should be able to save up the umpteen thousands required for proper paint and body work.  Us poor folk gotta make due how we can; unless you prefer me to roll around in it as-is, some like the ratty dirty turban look, but it's not for me.

1970Moparmann

A friend of mine wrapped his 69 Camaro and it's been on it for about 5 years.   He bought a cheaper brand and only has $400 in the material.   He has about 50 hours in it since it was the first time he did it.  Like above, a paint job is recommended over wrapping, but if you do it yourself, you can't go wrong money wise.

If you want me to ping him on what brand he used, just let me know.  

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

JR

I would highly reccomended Avery if it's you're first time.

It's the easiest and most forgiving to work with. Excellent color selection and grear quality.

Homerr

Aren't any solid colors just going to translate crappy condition underneath - dents, rust bubbles, creases?  Seems like camouflage or distracting patterns of some type should be considered.

A dented General Lee would be a natural.

Or this -

c00nhunterjoe

2 gallons of kubota orange paint from tsc- 47 dollars. 1 bottle hardner- 18 dollars. I can of thinner- 10 dollars. 1 harbor freight paint gun- 25 dollars. 1 giant tarp from harbir freight- 30 dollars. Painted in my front yard under a tree 8 years ago now. I am not a bodyman. I am not a painter. Im not even good enough to be called an amateur.

https://youtu.be/ue45_eAwgf4

DAY CLONA

Quote from: JR on January 21, 2020, 08:19:53 PM

You're not trying to carbon wrap an entire vehicle, right? Just smaller parts?

I'm genuinely curious now, no one's asked me about that before. If you try it, post up the results. I'd really like to know the answer to that one myself.

Thanks for the reply JR, I have a customer who wants some small body parts to look like "real" carbon fiber, generally in the fiberglass trade we'd just pull molds and make the parts, but the customer doesn't have the coin, nor do I feel like making that many small molds, so usually the alternative is to fiberglass a layer of real carbon on the part, followed by many layers of clear resin, and LOTS of sanding between coats, then polish to gloss...  problem is the part loses definition, looks "swollen" with all the resin build up to produce a smooth part, you can get away with it on some body parts like skirts/flares/etc, but others like mirrors, scoop inserts, etc usually no dice, that's why I'm open to any "wrap advice" you can offer, I'll give some of your input some sample testing to see if the results seem doable

Thanks
Mike

Mike DC

Quote2 gallons of kubota orange paint from tsc- 47 dollars. 1 bottle hardner- 18 dollars. I can of thinner- 10 dollars. 1 harbor freight paint gun- 25 dollars. 1 giant tarp from harbir freight- 30 dollars. Painted in my front yard under a tree 8 years ago now. I am not a bodyman. I am not a painter. Im not even good enough to be called an amateur.

How is the color holding out against sun fading?  

Just curious.  Red pigments always take such a beating.  

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 23, 2020, 10:07:47 PM
Quote2 gallons of kubota orange paint from tsc- 47 dollars. 1 bottle hardner- 18 dollars. I can of thinner- 10 dollars. 1 harbor freight paint gun- 25 dollars. 1 giant tarp from harbir freight- 30 dollars. Painted in my front yard under a tree 8 years ago now. I am not a bodyman. I am not a painter. Im not even good enough to be called an amateur.

How is the color holding out against sun fading?  

Just curious.  Red pigments always take such a beating.  

Still looks the same. Spray wax regularly. I would post a picture but its a pain to upload here now.

Mike DC

I know a guy who sprayed a trailer with red tractor enamel and it faded pretty fast.  But he keeps it parked outdoors full time.

c00nhunterjoe

While im sure if i left it go with no wax, it would fade quick. Its a 50 dollar paint job. You cant expect much. But with wax on it, it has lasted me well. Im headed to the shop tonight. I will take some photos of the paint.

taxspeaker

For what its worth, my son sprayed our faded 70 Superbird with cracked body putty and next to no shine to anything with Plasti-Dip-yes they sell car kits. People laugh when we say it, but it has held up well after 15 months, and covers the horrible paint so that it looks very good now. It cost about $400, plus a few days in replacing the old cracked body putty and sanding. We has it at Talladega in Ocotber-driving it there and back in the rain, and frankly was an excellent spend. Like Coonhunter says-its not a fantastic paint job, but it beats the heck out of what it looked like before, and it looks great even from 1-2 feet away. It is a dark silver that he mixed some very light metal flake in when it was painted. Will be selling the car when I get back to the states at the end of February-have found a 6-pack. The info is in the listings for cars wanted.