News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Let the fun and games begin! (1974 garage find)

Started by Vegas_Nick, December 27, 2016, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on May 08, 2019, 06:39:27 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on May 07, 2019, 09:50:49 PM
Mission accomplished. Thanks or the photos  :icon_smile_cool:

Now I can work on it for six monhs and plan on taking it to Charlotte once I get some of the bugs worked out. Like adding the 5spd, and probably a rear sway bar. :)

Whoa, you did not add a rear sway bar.??  :scratchchin:

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 05, 2019, 04:54:56 PM
Quote from: Vegas_Nick on May 08, 2019, 06:39:27 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on May 07, 2019, 09:50:49 PM
Mission accomplished. Thanks or the photos  :icon_smile_cool:

Now I can work on it for six monhs and plan on taking it to Charlotte once I get some of the bugs worked out. Like adding the 5spd, and probably a rear sway bar. :)

Whoa, you did not add a rear sway bar.??  :scratchchin:

Not yet!

Vegas_Nick

Since my last update, we have ran Daytona again! Topped out at 145 on the backstretch before the infamous "Bus Stop" chicane. Had a blast, but killed the transmission. The old 904 held up as long as she could I guess. Also, burned up my tail light wires. Digging into it, all of the tail light sockets had super high resistance. The contacts were just flat worn out. I know you can refresh the solder on them, but the left housing had started to crack in all sorts of places. It even had a missing piece.

That being said, I have bought three more engines. One in the machine shop now. Also have the 5Spd hooking to it. And... I started fabricating my own LED tail light setup. I know it will make the purists cry, but for a track car, this fit the bill for function, and safety.

Pics of it all:

And the LED tail light set up that I am working on:

Also, if you want to hear that 5.9 turning 6500 rpm...
https://youtu.be/NQ1qfExsFjo

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

73chgrSE

Vegas_Nick

Well it's "tear down for the winter season" at my house. Good news is that I am building a brand new 408 for it and swapping over to an NV3500 five speed. And for your entertainment:

The 904 had a few issues:

70 sublime

Did you know it was going to look like that before you took it apart ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 05, 2019, 03:29:50 PM
Did you know it was going to look like that before you took it apart ??

No sir! I drove the thing from Daytona to Darlington and back. I am sure it was like that. The pressure from the engine against it I am sure is all that was holding it together.

Vegas_Nick

Engine out and test fit the transmission:

Started the design of a new trans mount using parts from the old crossmember. I used side by side bushings that mated in the middle. Hoping to give a little bit more cushion for the twist

Finally done with that.

Now I am working on a remote short shifter so it doesn't feel like driving a dump truck.

And by the way... managed to get an orbital fracture from a piece of steel stock that I was using as a spacer on top of the trans while I was setting it all up! That hurt like a bitch.

RallyeMike

Is this the Dakota 3500 version? Any tricks needed to matching up the converter?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 27, 2019, 08:13:34 AM
Is this the Dakota 3500 version? Any tricks needed to matching up the converter?

It is. I went with it because I can find them all day long here between $100-$500 in great shape so if I rip it up, then I have a spare.

Honestly, I grabbed an entire flywheel and clutch kit for the 5.9 Dakota as well as the Dakota clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder kit. Pretty much made it all plug and play. You can use the hole where the factory clutch rode goes through to mount the master cylinder. Only issue is you will have to make a custom rod to go from the clutch pedal and the master cylinder. Also, have to drill a new hole in the clutch pedal arm due to the angle of the actuator. I'll get some pics when I am done with that.

It does take up some real estate under the trans tunnel. I decided cutting the tunnel open and fabricating a new section was much easier than trying to bang out places that need clearance. (Because...race car)

I found a drive shaft from an A body that was the correct length and actually found the correct conversion U joint at Advance Auto.

The cross member and mount was the only real fabrication. I am sure given ten people doing this, there would be ten different versions. I wanted to use what I had on hand. I had a lot of suspension bushings left from other projects so that is why I designed the mount that I did. I might go back later and make a jig and fabricate a tube cross member. I will wait and see if I break anything at the next Daytona run!

Oh.. and I am fabricating a short throw remote shifter for it as well.

RallyeMike

"Converter"   :-\    I guess I should ease back on sniffing glue!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Vegas_Nick

Progress is happening...

Engine runs awesome! I fabricated a remote shifter before the road test. Beats feeling like I am driving a Peterbuilt!

timmycharger

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on January 10, 2020, 02:54:22 PM
Progress is happening...

Engine runs awesome! I fabricated a remote shifter before the road test. Beats feeling like I am driving a Peterbuilt!

That's interesting, how is the slop with that remote, can you still achieve positive gear changes?  Pretty clever idea  :2thumbs:

Vegas_Nick

IT actually shifts fairly solid. It's a Dakota trans so it is naturally a bit clunky, but not too bad. Swapping out the oil in it this weekend after several days of research. Going with Redline MT90 and hopefully that smooths it out even more.

Vegas_Nick

Well.. the "new" trans turned out to be garbage. It was probably garbage before I bought it. At any rate, I ended up with a damn good NV3500 that shifts like butter. Loving this car more and more every day.

All buttoned up now:

And as luck would have it, my fellow Mopar buddy called up and asked if I wanted something really cool. Of course, he's like the hot chick in the "free candy" van tempting me...

8 3/4 with Posi and big drum brakes. It will be a few months before I overhaul it and swap it into the Charger, but at least I have the holy grail for my car now!