News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pilot Bearings and High Performance Use

Started by Ghoste, January 22, 2020, 11:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know a lot of people now are using a pilot bearing in the torque converter register on the back of the crank with four speeds but are not certain styles preferable over others for heavy duty use?

Ghoste

Is that the one you are using?  The needle bearing ones are good to go?

c00nhunterjoe

I used that one when mine was a 4 speed. One of the few components that survived when i scattered the 383. Broke the crank, cam into 6 peices, block broke, broke the bellhousing, part of the cam went up through the valley and cracked the intake. Carb was reusable and the pilot bearing still spun free. Everything else was scrap. Thats the extent of my torture test.

Ghoste

John_Kunkel

IMO, rollers are good for high rpm use but a bushing will carry more load.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2020, 06:37:26 AM
Aren't those fun?

I was most upset about losing the cam. It was an original racer brown peice.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 23, 2020, 12:10:05 PM
IMO, rollers are good for high rpm use but a bushing will carry more load.

Agreed. I ran the roller for the rpm.

BSB67

I've never used Brewer's piece, and know he has a reputation for good stuff, but the only pilot bearing that I've seen fail was a needle roller.  This was in a actual 4 sp crank.  Replaced it with sintered bronze, never a problem again.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

I thought there was an application that used a bushing inside that bearing shell (for want of a better way to describe it) but I'm not sure what it is.  I'm sure Brewers are just getting them off the shelf from their local parts store.  Again though, Im not sure what the application is.

birdsandbees

Believe the roller/needle bearing is from a Dodge Dakota truck..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

metallicareload99

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 24, 2020, 10:14:52 AM
Believe the roller/needle bearing is from a Dodge Dakota truck..

:iagree:

90ish to early 2000 Dakota for the needle bearing. I think Brewer's made the bushing in the bearing shell for the converter register but I didn't see it on their site anywhere.

At any rate, I've always used the needle bearing because my first 440's crank wasn't finished to size and my current 440 has a cast crank. They have held up well for 60,000+ miles  :shruggy:  I asked one of the A833 vendors if I should switch to the bushing out of concerns of like what BSB67 mentioned, but they told me I'd be fine to keep using the needle/roller bearing
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

John_Kunkel

It seems the bushing has gone out of favor with all vendors.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

The bushing was more for the actual 4 speed drilled cranks. The non drilled cranks are more plentiful and the off the shelf compatability of the needle bearing set up makes it a cost effective alternative that fits 90% of the builds.