News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Inner Wheel Housings Experience

Started by cincyboy, January 22, 2020, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincyboy

So I know the AMD vs Sherman & Goodmark Discussion has been beat to Death,  and I used the search feature and found related answers but not exact ones so I'm going to ask.

Anyone use Sherman or Goodmark Inner Wheel Housings in the last 5 years or so that can speak to their fitment & quality.   I use AMD on  everything else but at 375ish a pair for AMD and 200 a pair for Sherman or Goodmark the Money has got me curious on this mostly unseen part.   I also know the stack up here can cause me problems later  so I'm trying to decide. 

Anyone who has first hand experience I would appreciate your thoughts. 

68 Charger

cincyboy

So I'm doing my own experiment, maybe it will help someone else.

I use all AMD parts due to feedback from this site and having no other knowledge.  However, in the case of inner rear wheel housings I was comparing 90 each delivered (Goodmark)  vs $175each plus shipping (AMD).  

It also appears to me to be a simple panel compared to the outer wheelhousing which has multiple complex bends etc.

So see pics this far.  

Both AMD Outer housing  and Goodmark inner housing  reject a new sheetmetal gauge for 20 gauge and both accept the gauge as 18 gauge.  (No 19 slot sorry) I guess i could put some calipers on them.   So they are close to the same thickness.

More to come on the install and how it goes.

cincyboy

Housings out on the Drivers side

I' m going to blast and prime immediate areas before installing.

I them will blast hole car and prime once quarters are off.

Mike DC

BTW, the metal quality issue (with repro metal in general) is about more than just the thickness.  Some of the older repro panels were plenty thick but the steel alloy itself was dogshit.  You could bend it more easily by hand and it wasn't as heavy as it should be.  The MIG welder would crackle & pop on the impurities. 

AMD is the best metal quality I've come across.  It's probably not OEM but it's pretty good.  

cincyboy

Thank you, I only bought the left side.  If things go south, Ill scrap this panel  and I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and document it here. 

hemi-hampton

"I use AMD on  everything else but at 375ish a pair for AMD and 200 a pair for Sherman or Goodmark"

I thought the whole reason AMD Parts were made in China or Taiwan is so they could sell these parts cheaper then anyone else? :shruggy: :brickwall: :slap:

Mike DC

Is anybody's stuff not made in Asia now?  Like, big panels that need to be stamped with big tooling? 

Magnumcharger

I've been fitting my various AMD panels to my '68 R/T and so far have found that every one of them have issues.
The inner wheelhouse I purchased do not fit. Plain and simple.
The outer wheelhouses are marginally better, but take some effort to pull in to match the original inner panels, and in the process get deformed. Which translates to the quarter panel.
Here's what I was left with after mocking up the outer tub. I'm using screws to temporarily fit all my panels.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Mike DC

Can you be more specific about the inner WH problems?  Pics?  Measurements? 

As a hobby we need to keep track/document these issues better.     

birdsandbees

Exactly Mike, what doesn't fit correctly? It's like guys asking about where to get something and the reply is "I sent you a PM"!  :brickwall:

My metal guy noted no issues installing my AMD inner and outer wheel wells on my Bee. At least he complained of none and that would have been odd considering some of the other griping..  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Magnumcharger

This isn't the first car I've restored. But, I'll say that the 70 Roadrunner I did with AMD panels had everything fit as it was supposed to.
Maybe this Charger is cursed?
I'll get some pics together tomorrow to tell the Charger's tale.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed