News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sound deadening

Started by runningman, January 23, 2020, 06:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

For those that have used Lizard Skin or a product like Dynamat did you end up using the factory insulation also?  I'm thinking it's probably not needed and would like to weld up the holes for the plastic clips if so.  Also are there areas on the firewall that should not get treated with this stuff?  Thanks!  Matt

green69rt

I used Hushmat (Dynamat clone) and plan to use jute insulation also.  The Hushmat is mostly a sound deadening with a little thermal insulation but not much.  Depends on how much you think you need.  It's like a buytl caulk sheet with a foil backing.   As for holes, I just used the Hushmat to plug smaller holes (up to about 1/4").  It acts like a sealer.  Sticky, sticky, sticky.  Bigger holes I used hole plugs or something more robust.  It also acts like a sealer around bolts you put thru the sheet metal, such as seat mounting bolts.

runningman

Quote from: green69rt on January 23, 2020, 08:54:34 AM
I used Hushmat (Dynamat clone) and plan to use jute insulation also.  The Hushmat is mostly a sound deadening with a little thermal insulation but not much.  Depends on how much you think you need.  It's like a buytl caulk sheet with a foil backing.   As for holes, I just used the Hushmat to plug smaller holes (up to about 1/4").  It acts like a sealer.  Sticky, sticky, sticky.  Bigger holes I used hole plugs or something more robust.  It also acts like a sealer around bolts you put thru the sheet metal, such as seat mounting bolts.

My car is getting ready for paint so I'm able to have any extra holes welded up.  I bought Lizard Skin years ago without realizing there was an expiration date so I'm hoping it will still be good, they haven't been opened yet.  I have both the heat and sound formula but I haven't really read anything about how it performs.  I'm wondering if it would be an issue if the entire interior firewall was done with regards to sealing everything that mounts to the firewall.  Should I fit everything and tape these areas off?  I have heard good stuff about Hushmat also, I think some were doing the Lizard Skin and that on top.  Thanks!  Matt

green69rt

Quote from: runningman on January 23, 2020, 11:38:11 PM
Quote from: green69rt on January 23, 2020, 08:54:34 AM

My car is getting ready for paint so I'm able to have any extra holes welded up.  I bought Lizard Skin years ago without realizing there was an expiration date so I'm hoping it will still be good, they haven't been opened yet.  I have both the heat and sound formula but I haven't really read anything about how it performs.  I'm wondering if it would be an issue if the entire interior firewall was done with regards to sealing everything that mounts to the firewall.  Should I fit everything and tape these areas off?  I have heard good stuff about Hushmat also, I think some were doing the Lizard Skin and that on top.  Thanks!  Matt

I don't know if Dynamat or Hushmat would stick to the Lizard skin, probably but am not sure.  I also don't know how good a sealer it would be.  If you have ever used butyl caulk then you know how gooey it can be and how to use it for sealer.  I don't know about lizard skin.

b5blue

I would NOT use expired 2 part anything!  :scratchchin:

CDN72SE

I will be using Dynamat and am not bothering with any factory insulation.
1972 Charger SE

runningman

Quote from: b5blue on January 24, 2020, 11:37:36 AM
I would NOT use expired 2 part anything!  :scratchchin:

It's just a one part so I'm not sure why they have an expiration date on it.  There are two seperate formulas though that are independant of each other.  The sound deadener and the heat formula.  I emailed them and they just said it depends on how it mixes after I open them and it's possible to add a little water if needed as it's water based so we'll see I guess.

runningman

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 24, 2020, 12:56:22 PM
I will be using Dynamat and am not bothering with any factory insulation.

Welding up the holes for the factory mounting spots for the insulation?