News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firm Feel Power Steering Box

Started by CRW-FK5, January 25, 2020, 06:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRW-FK5

Are there more affordable power steering boxes on the market than Firm Feel that provide a decent (tight) feel?  I'm hoping to spend less than the $399 Firm Feel is charging for a box.

c00nhunterjoe

The next step in boxes is the high dollar ones. Firm feel is best avg priced upgrade. If your box is in good shape, you can lower the pump line pressure to improve the over assist. Thats about the cheapest option.

303 Mopar

:iagree: Brass washer will lower the pressure and tighten up the steering. However I do need to say that a Firm Feel Stage III box is a very nice upgrade if you can swing it.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

CRW-FK5

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 25, 2020, 09:58:34 AM
The next step in boxes is the high dollar ones. Firm feel is best avg priced upgrade. If your box is in good shape, you can lower the pump line pressure to improve the over assist. Thats about the cheapest option.
Thanks.  The only other options I saw were the rebuild boxes on eBay for around $170.  They appear to be rebuilt to standard configuration.  Any experience with those?

The main reason I'm planning on replacing mine is because it leaks pretty bad and though it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a box that is a little stiffer than the one in there now.  Also, the steering is almost too easy, making it feel a bit more unstable than I'd prefer.

With the Firm Feel is there a particular stage more suitable for B-bodies, or does it just come down to personal preference?  I heard from a friend who installed a stage III in his E-body that initially it was pretty tight, almost not self-centering, but that it loosened up and worked well once broken in.  Do you know if that's typical for these?

Thanks for you feedback.  Greatly appreciated.

CRW-FK5

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 25, 2020, 10:10:58 AM
:iagree: Brass washer will lower the pressure and tighten up the steering. However I do need to say that a Firm Feel Stage III box is a very nice upgrade if you can swing it.
Thanks.  I assume you're talking about the shim change to  the pump and not the box, right?  I actually did try and go that route not long ago but could not get the valve assembly disassembled inside the pump so I put it back together.  I got the assembly out okay but there was no way I could get enough grip on the cast housing to get the screw off there and replace the shim. 

You mention the Stage III Firm Feel.  Any drawbacks to that (I'm assuming it was on a B-body)?  Was it too tight?  Was there a break-in period?  Thanks for the feedback.

CDN72SE

Got my box packed up and ready to send to Firm Feel, I'm going with the Stage II. This is what Dennis said to me.

"Stage 1 is just a bit more effort than the stock feel.  Stage 2 is comparable to most modern day power steering efforts.  Stage 3 is a heavy, high effort feel.  We usually recommend stage 1 boxes for the bigger C bodies, stage 2 for B and E bodies, and stage 3 for lighter A bodies.  However, people have different tastes when it comes to the steering systems they are used to and prefer.  You might research some of the forums for preferences of other Mopar owners (For B Bodies Only, for example).  The stage 1 and 2 rebuilds are $379, and stage 3 is $399."
1972 Charger SE

c00nhunterjoe

If you have driven the modern lx platform srt charger and challengers- thats a good equivalent of the stage 3 box imo.
    Shimming the power steering valve on a stock box with a good alignment will give you the feel of a gt mustang.

5wndwcpe

I've used a few Stage II boxes from FirmFeel.  I do like them but what kills me is the shipping.  I know it's not FF's fault, but it tacks $180 onto the price of the box.  :brickwall:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 25, 2020, 03:52:21 PM
 The stage 1 and 2 rebuilds are $379, and stage 3 is $399."
Quote from: 5wndwcpe on January 25, 2020, 05:01:13 PM
I've used a few Stage II boxes from FirmFeel.  I do like them but what kills me is the shipping.  I know it's not FF's fault, but it tacks $180 onto the price of the box.  :brickwall:

Shipping would be a deal breaker and I live two states away.

For less money the OP can buy a Borgeson Power Steering Conversion Box

Summit Racing has a sale, $40 off $500 with free shipping.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800126
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

CRW-FK5

I've used a few Stage II boxes from FirmFeel.  I do like them but what kills me is the shipping.  I know it's not FF's fault, but it tacks $180 onto the price of the box.  :brickwall:
Wow.  Yeah, if I have to tack on another $180 to the $379 price it's not going to be worth it to me.  Do they require a core exchange with these and if so, how is return shipping of that handled I wonder?

CRW-FK5

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 25, 2020, 03:52:21 PM
Got my box packed up and ready to send to Firm Feel, I'm going with the Stage II. This is what Dennis said to me.

"Stage 1 is just a bit more effort than the stock feel.  Stage 2 is comparable to most modern day power steering efforts.  Stage 3 is a heavy, high effort feel.  We usually recommend stage 1 boxes for the bigger C bodies, stage 2 for B and E bodies, and stage 3 for lighter A bodies.  However, people have different tastes when it comes to the steering systems they are used to and prefer.  You might research some of the forums for preferences of other Mopar owners (For B Bodies Only, for example).  The stage 1 and 2 rebuilds are $379, and stage 3 is $399."
Thanks.  Much appreciated.

CDN72SE

Very welcome, now I am wondering how much I will get dinged with shipping to Canada.  :scratchchin:
1972 Charger SE

5wndwcpe

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on January 26, 2020, 08:33:13 AM
Wow.  Yeah, if I have to tack on another $180 to the $379 price it's not going to be worth it to me.  Do they require a core exchange with these and if so, how is return shipping of that handled I wonder?

In my case, I sent them my original box, they rebuilt it and sent it back.  Shipping to them was $100, rebuild $ 379 and shipping back $80 for a grand total of $ 559.

The other option is to pay the $379 plus a core charge of $250 (refundable when they receive your old box)  Obviously you're still on the hook for the shipping so the cost is the same in the end. I think they used to let you buy them outright, but I would double check with Dick to see if that's still the case.

Please note, they have had a price increase as of late and all of the p/s boxes are now $ 399

http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_power_steering_box_rebuild.html 

70 sublime

Quote from: CDN72SE on January 26, 2020, 08:44:28 AM
Very welcome, now I am wondering how much I will get dinged with shipping to Canada.  :scratchchin:

Think I can live with the drips on my steering box for a little while longer

Lets see $559 US times exchange rate is about $725 Canadian with out extra shipping cost  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

jlatessa

Before you throw that kind of money around,
take that valve out of the pump again and post a picture,
we may be able to give you some direction on taking it apart.

I did that mod on our 70 Charger with very good results.
Bought the right washers to shim it from McMaster-Carr

Joe

303 Mopar

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on January 25, 2020, 12:55:16 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 25, 2020, 10:10:58 AM
Thanks.  I assume you're talking about the shim change to  the pump and not the box, right?  I actually did try and go that route not long ago but could not get the valve assembly disassembled inside the pump so I put it back together.  I got the assembly out okay but there was no way I could get enough grip on the cast housing to get the screw off there and replace the shim. 

You mention the Stage III Firm Feel.  Any drawbacks to that (I'm assuming it was on a B-body)?  Was it too tight?  Was there a break-in period?  Thanks for the feedback.

The Stage III is perfect in my '68 Charger, feels like a modern car and no slop in the wheel. No break-in, just swap and go. I've talked to a handful of guys that have a Stage II and they all wish they went with a Stage III.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Lennard

Do it once,  do it right... get the Borgeson.

CRW-FK5

Quote from: jlatessa on January 26, 2020, 10:11:29 PM
Before you throw that kind of money around,
take that valve out of the pump again and post a picture,
we may be able to give you some direction on taking it apart.

I did that mod on our 70 Charger with very good results.
Bought the right washers to shim it from McMaster-Carr

Joe
I may consider that.  Thanks.

Bronzedodge

I'm happy with my box from Steer N' Gear.  It was $300.- at Carlisle.  Can you come to PA in July with a core box?
Mopar forever!

CRW-FK5

Quote from: Bronzedodge on February 02, 2020, 09:39:01 AM
I'm happy with my box from Steer N' Gear.  It was $300.- at Carlisle.  Can you come to PA in July with a core box?
That's actually a pretty good idea.  I wonder if Firm Feel has boxes at Carlisle or The Mopar Nationals. 

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Lennard on January 27, 2020, 09:20:38 PM
Do it once,  do it right... get the Borgeson.

Do it once, get a manual box.

will

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on February 02, 2020, 10:11:46 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea.  I wonder if Firm Feel has boxes at Carlisle or The Mopar Nationals. 

Word of caution, my box has puked after around 1000 miles of average driving. I followed their flushing instructions and the seal still failed. I was warned by a fellow moparian this might happen, and now the box is flushing out of the seal every time I drive it. They did rebuild my power steering pump satisfactorily, but FF would be money well spent.

CRW-FK5

Quote from: will on February 03, 2020, 07:41:15 AM
Quote from: CRW-FK5 on February 02, 2020, 10:11:46 AM

Word of caution, my box has puked after around 1000 miles of average driving. I followed their flushing instructions and the seal still failed. I was warned by a fellow moparian this might happen, and now the box is flushing out of the seal every time I drive it. They did rebuild my power steering pump satisfactorily, but FF would be money well spent.
Thanks.  I just checked FF and looks like they've bumped their prices up even more in the last week.  Now at $425.

5wndwcpe

I've used a few of the Firm Feel boxes now and while pricey, they've never let me down.  Steer and Gear however.....

I sent the box for my '57 to S&G and after a $450 rebuild, it leaked.  Funny, it didn't leak before I sent it to them.  I called them about it and basically they said " Eh, shit happens". I won't use them again.

CRW-FK5

Here's a picture of the valve assembly, as requested.  I am assuming I have to remove the hex nut on the end and then replace/add a shim washer.  That nut, however, is not budging.