News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Piston to valve clearance

Started by NavyDad, January 26, 2020, 02:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NavyDad

I'm getting ready to put my 440 together and I'm a bit confused on checking the valve clearance to piston crown.  I have speed pro flat tops with the valve reliefs cut in.  The cam I am using is a Lunati voodoo 703.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513; LSA/ICL: 110/106; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 1800-6200; Includes: Cam Only
I am also running Harland sharp 1.6 rockers.  Do I need to buy a solid lifter to get correct clearance?  I read somewhere the 2.14 intake valve will hit the vale pocket side of the piston because they are to small. Maybe I don't need this whole step because cam is mild? Help.

metallicareload99

Quote from: NavyDad on January 26, 2020, 02:04:49 PM
I'm getting ready to put my 440 together and I'm a bit confused on checking the valve clearance to piston crown.  I have speed pro flat tops with the valve reliefs cut in.  The cam I am using is a Lunati voodoo 703.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276; Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513; LSA/ICL: 110/106; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 1800-6200; Includes: Cam Only
I am also running Harland sharp 1.6 rockers.  Do I need to buy a solid lifter to get correct clearance?  I read somewhere the 2.14 intake valve will hit the vale pocket side of the piston because they are to small. Maybe I don't need this whole step because cam is mild? Help.

What cylinder heads are you using? Retainer to guide clearance might be something to think about also.

You "should" be ok, I run a bigger cam with a bigger intake valve with what sounds like the same pistons with the same LSA and within 1⁰ ICL. That being said, I would absolutely get a solid lifter and some checking springs and verify  :shruggy:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

NavyDad

The guides should be good. Had the heads set up by Todd marsh. They are sidewinders with comp springs and 10 degree retainers.