News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ebay Superbird -

Started by 1970Moparmann, September 22, 2014, 07:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannedbird

Update on this car 5/13/2015: I ended up buying it from Hank in October 2014. One of my friends lives by him so we checked the car out and liked it. I'm a little familiar with 'birds and it checked out legit. I'm keeping the exterior same (kind of), but redoing drivetrain and suspension (Gen 3 HEMI, 700-HP, no permanent modifications other then frame stiffening). I already restored a beat up 'Bird to stock (seen at mopar nat's 1991) and often regret losing the survivor look. Not this time! But I am doing something different - not sure how you all will like it.  More details on the web page: bannedbird.com.

I am looking for any info on the car from new to when it was put into barn around 1978. I have talked to all the owners after the barn owner (Hank, Steve Gemza, Le Hodge, and horsepwr426). Car started out B5 blue, white bench, automatic until repaint Petty blue with white vinyl top. Assume Virginia area.  I'm doing a title search.

The white top is interesting. Certainly helps identify the car in internet pictures and history (The old Beeler bird also had white top, but mine has no white nose trim). The top is not painted. Looks like the original material grain. But no "lettering" seen on underside (one area was lifted up by previous owner and checked for anything printed on underside). Don't worry: I'm not going to even try and say it is factory white top Superbird.

Also, I can provide details from broadcast sheet if it will help in clarifying the location of the firewall hole.

Just wanted to update this thread. Hope to make the Oct 22 reunion with the car. Thank you. Superbird Steve (Chicago).
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

Hey Steve, another Bird in Chicago - love it.   What part of Chi Town are you?  I'm in the Dundee area.   We have a good amount of Wing owners in the area and on DC.com.   :2thumbs:

I'm planning on being at the reunion, but probably Birdless unless I get my butt in gear. 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bannedbird

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 16, 2015, 08:19:19 AM
What part of Chi Town are you? 

MMann - Thanks. I used to be in Palatine when I was part of "Windy City Wings" in the 1990's (used to have: Superbird and C500 - 440, 4spd, X-Volo Museum car). I'm now a mile or two from the Packer/Bears state line, 7 miles from I-94.

wingcarenvy

bannedbird

Tan Top (if you get this), what did you mean by: "has the  same body calking  , that we was talking about the other week "?

Update: here is picture of car Sept-2016.

djcarguy

:popcrn: :popcrn:  is car done ??  any new info an pixs ???  AWSUM engin  <any info ??????    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :drool5: :drool5: :cheers:

bannedbird

Thanks for asking.  I do have some updates.  Last October I drove it.  I got the car back from the 3 years (or was it 4) it was in AZ getting converted. Removed the 383 / 727 / 8.75 rear to Gen 3 446 cid / 6L85 / Dana.  Car was "lost" for over a week on a transporter from AZ to IL.  RoadRunner Auto Transport said "we will call you tomorrow" for 2 weeks: they called me once each Friday.  I had to go to the police and was one day from them starting an investigation.

After two weeks in the truck with the key partially turned, there was no power in battery.  Jumped it and I took car off the transporter and drove to local car show.  Shouldn't have done that with no juice in the battery.  Motor gradually lost power on way home and had to get it towed.  I assume low amperage with all the fuel pumps and ignition: boy I miss simple coils and points!  I don't think it was anything major, but I need to either get more gauges to know what is going on or full time laptop.  With 3 different shops involved, I've got no electrical schematic, switches with no labels, and not sure what wires go where.  I had them remove the Holley EFI (which is now in the garbage thanks to no technical support) and put in a second EFI.  So it's a matter of me putting time in with a pad of paper and tracing wires.  But it's freezing in my garage!

But, man... does it sound good.  I thought it was the ported heads that had the sound, but a few people said it was the 8 throttle bodies that makes that "sharp" tone (cylinders don't share intake with another cylinder).  So until I get a trailer and tow vehicle, I may need to put something better than Cherry Bombs on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnsEnUzWXg

Take care, Superbird Steve

bannedbird

At Cudas (Antioch IL) car show... Everyone had left except one car (not in pix) - LOL

bannedbird

For the video shoot, my Buddy Ben drove the car along with his son and mechanic.  He said it handled very good with the coils and modern suspension.  Turn radius is about half of what it used to be.  I need to look at that.

bannedbird

A few screen shots from the video a few posts back. Thx.

bannedbird

A few more.  The shop "Car Guys" in Chandler AZ did a great job. Here are a few pix.

bannedbird

The machining lines on the pistons.  Anyone else appreciate that look? It's that little stuff.  :)

bannedbird

underneath

bannedbird

I mention wiring as a challenge...

nascarxx29

Wiring not to hard it's a road map starting at battery.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

bannedbird

Yup. just a road map.  I need to start mapping. :)