News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger Hold Off Valve For Disc Brake Swap

Started by RIDGERACER383, February 01, 2020, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

Hey guys... Been a long time since I've been on here. I'm in the process of making all new copper/nickel brake lines for my charger and want to go ahead and set it up for front disc brakes. I have 2 questions.

1 - Are the proportioning valves on front disc cars and front drum cars the same?

2 - Is the hold off valve the only thing I need to add to my brake system to regulate the pressure?

My proportioning valve on the car works fine now so hope I can still use it.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Mopar Nut

I installed adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes, keeps the rear from locking up first.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

RIDGERACER383

I'm just putting a factory style front disc brake system on. Was thinking about this kit https://westernchassisinc.com/1962-74-MOPAR-Dodge-Plymouth-Disc-Brake-Conversion/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiAg9rxBRADEiwAxKDTultTKwdXM_1GZK15btjmkbkCREplEG3KuSihk4UzkoPlUz48901PTBoCSVMQAvD_BwE

I had a kit saves which I can't find now that I knew for 100% that the calibers mounted to the rear and not the front. Not sure if this kit mounts the calibers in the rear.

RIDGERACER383

Dragon Slayer

Just as a note:  Original 67-69 B body Disc car had no hold off valve.  The Bendix 4 piston caliper system only had the proportioning valve (shown) for the rear brakes.

The 70 B&E using single piston caliper Kelsey Hayes set up used a metering valve (hold off) for the front disc along with the Proportioning valve for the rear drum. 

c00nhunterjoe

Stock 4 wheel drum cars do not have a proportion valve. It is merely a distribution block. Disc cars have a proportion valve. If converting you can install an inline adjustable valve or replace the stock block with a new disc block. Or, like me with sticky rear tires and skinny front tires, i run disc/drum brakes on a drum block with ZERO issues stopping. I can panic stop and its smooth.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 04, 2020, 02:05:22 PM
Stock 4 wheel drum cars do not have a proportion valve. It is merely a distribution block. Disc cars have a proportion valve. If converting you can install an inline adjustable valve or replace the stock block with a new disc block. Or, like me with sticky rear tires and skinny front tires, i run disc/drum brakes on a drum block with ZERO issues stopping. I can panic stop and its smooth.

I have 11:75 rotors on mine with 11 in. drums in the rear and i still can't put my car into a rear end slide.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

gtx6970

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on February 04, 2020, 08:07:07 AM
Just as a note:  Original 67-69 B body Disc car had no hold off valve.  The Bendix 4 piston caliper system only had the proportioning valve (shown) for the rear brakes.

Ive done 3 total 1969 B bodies with the original Bendix disc brake setup,
All 3 had a holdoff valve mounted rearward of the prop valve

Black and Blown

Quote from: Mopar Nut on February 02, 2020, 02:33:27 AMI installed adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes, keeps the rear from locking up first.

Thanks for the photo of the Baer unit. 
I see they offer two mounting brackets - their website reads " Available for 2-bolt Ford/GM style master cylinders. "
Did you use one of these?  Or something else?