News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radio speakers

Started by nitrousn, February 09, 2020, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousn

My 69 Charger project is in need of speakers. I had an AM radio with a front speaker. Does any one have a picture of what the speaker looked like and mounted to? Mine was all cobbed up and wired in place. I think it should be a 4 x 10. I picked up an AM-FM factory radio as well as the rear speaker switch and wiring. What size rear speaker does it use and what side does it mount on? Lastly where is a good source for a factory look and fit speakers.

AKcharger

Original speaker for rear is 5x7. but a 6x9 will fit you'll just have to drill holes from the mounting screws. as far as from speaker you have two options 1) find a 4x10 or get 2 small speakers and mount them in a 4x10 plastic plate. I did that on my '72 and worked fine. Source for custom speakers and such is Classic car stereos. I just got a complete set up for my '72 and it's just about done.

Cheers!

nitrousn

Quote from: AKcharger on February 09, 2020, 09:31:04 PM
Original speaker for rear is 5x7. but a 6x9 will fit you'll just have to drill holes from the mounting screws. as far as from speaker you have two options 1) find a 4x10 or get 2 small speakers and mount them in a 4x10 plastic plate. I did that on my '72 and worked fine. Source for custom speakers and such is Classic car stereos. I just got a complete set up for my '72 and it's just about done.

Cheers!

So the rear would take a 5 x 7 to be correct? On the front 4 x 10 to be correct. What did the front speaker attach to, and how did it mount to the underside of the dash?? Any pictures? Thanks......

AKcharger

OK, I went through all the photos I had of my '70 and didn't have any good dash photos so gonna have to guess here but should give you a good idea of what you're up against. 2nd Gen people chime in

These are from my '72. the rear tray is 100% the same. difference is if you had the factory defrost. IF YOU DID the pax side hole is already 6x9 and drivers 5x7. Otherwise both should be 5x7

- Speakers...Original 5x7 & 4x10 and the dual "custom" one I made (if you set up is the same you pay for shipping and it's yours) and a new one I got with my "super stereo kit"

- Dash...not the same but gives you an idea

- Rear speaker area with remnants of the defrost duct

Cheers!

nitrousn

Thanks for the help. I found a front mount and ordered 2 new speakers from Turnswitch.

http://www.turnswitch.com/

nitrousn

What was used on the front speaker mount plate to dash? It looks like some sort of seal. The plate I have has some gooey residue on it.

AKcharger

It's just a piece of thin plastic I cut to fit