News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use this custom dash ?

Started by 5wndwcpe, February 10, 2020, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5wndwcpe

I didn't find anything in the search, but has anyone used this dash either from this vendor or from Classic ?  Gauge choice is unimportant at the moment, I'm more interested in the fit and finish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Mopar-B-Body-Black-Dash-Carrier-Panel-3-3-8-2-1-16-Gauges-/272420625884?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f6d88dddc

Thanks

AKcharger

Based on my extensive experience with other "custom parts" I'm gonna bet the fit and finish is CRAP and if it's, as is mostly likely, made in China it's absolute CRAP and will give you a killer virus.

WHITE AND RED 69

The fit is actually pretty good from what I've seen. The issue with them is the angle of the gauges.

Here's an old thread showing the problem.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,113025.0/all.html
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

5wndwcpe

Ah, another dream shattered.  :eyes:

Thanks for the replies.

TexasStroker

It fits pretty well.  I pitched them the idea back in the day and a guy downstate worked with them on the prototype etc.  As mentioned, the angle might be objectionable to some.

There are basically 4 options for a dash featuring aftermarket gauges:

1-Build Your Own
-You pick the material, finish, layout, gauges, and switches

2-Bore out the stock bezel and trim the housing as needed to fit the gauges of your choice.
--The downside here is it is almost impossible to get the gauges to look right and using popular brands you have to flatten the bezels where they touch...This is exactly why I moved to Classic Dash.

3-The Classic Dash Option
-Spreads the gauges beautifully, but the fitment could be improved.  The other thing to note is that you will have to basically slice the back of your housing for clearance.  It is still needed since you have the factory rocker switches and brake light etc.  A lot of people enter this option unaware of that aspect of the install.

4-Dakota Digital
-Pricey and it is a love it or hate it, but it is all inclusive and many forum members find it to be their best course of action, despite the initial investment.

I still say the 68-70 dash is the best looking I have ever seen...I ventured into this to simply further enhance the package, in my opinion, with aftermarket gauges' looks and performance.  There are several older threads where you can see different finishes members came up with.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

WHITE AND RED 69

I wonder if it is possible to add a little spacer at the top of the openings to get them to the proper angle. Doesn't look like it would take much to make them right.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

5wndwcpe

The other thing to note is that you will have to basically slice the back of your housing for clearance.  It is still needed since you have the factory rocker switches and brake light etc.

Is this the only thing the stock housing is retained for ?  In other words, what is the feasibility of just making mounts on the Classic dash for switches ?

Also, any idea what the material is ?  (ABS, Poly etc.)

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on February 11, 2020, 06:46:30 PM
I wonder if it is possible to add a little spacer at the top of the openings to get them to the proper angle. Doesn't look like it would take much to make them right.

I think you could easily modify it to taste.  Funny thing is, I have one of their inserts for the Duster and while I only did a quick mock-up, I don't recall having issue with how the gauges were angled.

Quote from: 5wndwcpe on February 12, 2020, 05:45:04 AM
The other thing to note is that you will have to basically slice the back of your housing for clearance.  It is still needed since you have the factory rocker switches and brake light etc.

Is this the only thing the stock housing is retained for ?  In other words, what is the feasibility of just making mounts on the Classic dash for switches ?

Also, any idea what the material is ?  (ABS, Poly etc.)

It is an ABS Plastic and UV Resistant.  There is a carbon fiber option, but it is hydro dipped...I know because I wanted to match it for other areas.  If you really like the look of their carbon piece pull the trigger on it...if you want it black, plan to custom paint it, anticipate modding it, or want it overlayed in your vinyl of choice just go with the black one.

I think you could definitely make everything mount up without slicing the housing, it would just requite some custom fabrication.  I need to pull mine out and mess around with it...had it all lined up, opted to re-wire, went down a rabbit hole of other stuff, wound up bringing in similar parts for the Duster, and then had some other stuff come up...I'll get to it eventually.  I know I had pics of the backside, but I can't get into my old photobucket account at the moment.  I have a housing cut, but thinking about it, some sheet metal, or aluminum flats might be able to get the job done .

Also, in the event you opt to bring the panel in...you might shop on Summit and wait for one of their promos...it will save you a decent bit of cash...especially if you are getting gauges, or any other high dollar item.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

b5blue

I recall considering this. Things like custom wiring or adapting it and cost of gauge set VS repair/restore/replace had me just stick with stock. If I were to go that route I would have used aluminum for mounting with a wood veneer like my Spitfire's dash. I the end it was even less work to redo factory.  :2thumbs: