News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torsion bar cross-member fitment

Started by BrugeeRT, February 15, 2020, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

Im putting in an amd torsion bar crossmember and its coming up a little short.   From other threads this is common and some people weld a plate to the inner rocker to take up some of the space.   Would most of you guys do this or try to bend the tabs to fit?  It come up equally short on both sides.  Is there any critical measurements I should follow when putting it in?  Anybody use 3M panel adhesive to put one in?   Any advice installing one would be appreciated.
Mark

hemi-hampton

I would never panel bond adhesive a torsion bar crossmember, that would be like panel bonding a k-frame or motor mount or rear leaf spring mounts :shruggy:

Mike DC

If you re-bend the flanges WELL that would probably be the best result.  Some heat from an O/A torch could make that job easier. 

Don't start heating & bending on the metal without some specific plan to check the fit along the way.  Measure stuff, make templates, whatever.  You have to bridge the gaps on both sides, you have to do it evenly enough to keep the center of the crossmember from ending up off to one side, and you also have to maintain the angles on the flanges. 

If you don't think you can pull off a re-bending job very well then don't start attempting it.  Use some steel plates in there to bridge the distance. 

BLK 68 R/T

If it were me, I'd also install the k member and lower control arms. Then slide the torsion bars in once you get the crossmember tack welded where you think it should be. If the torsion bars slide in and out of both the crossmember and the control arm sockets then you should be good to finish weld it in place.

68RT440

I had the same issue with the AMD crossmember that I bought. I returned it and found a clean original. Aside from being short on the sides, the slugs that the torsion bars slide into seemed to be at a different angle. I wasn't going to even mess with it, so I returned it
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 68RT440 on February 19, 2020, 12:44:23 PM
I had the same issue with the AMD crossmember that I bought. I returned it and found a clean original. Aside from being short on the sides, the slugs that the torsion bars slide into seemed to be at a different angle. I wasn't going to even mess with it, so I returned it

Sounds like good advice :scratchchin: