News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock E Street EFI install complete

Started by Paul G, February 21, 2020, 11:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I picked up a used E Street EFI system with the sump kit for $500. Installed it on my 73 big block Charger. I knew the system had issues, that's why it was for sale.

The previous owner of the EFI could not find the original tablet. Edelbrock uses Blue Tooth technology and Android tablets to interface with their systems. Very nice way to communicate. The tablet is big and easy to see, and it is mobile. So I loaded the Eddy software from their website in to an older tablet I had. This created the first problem. I loaded an older version of the tablet software on to my tablet which corrupted the ECU. Had to send the ECU and the original tablet, which the previous owner did find, back to Edelbrock. They re-flashed the ECU for free. Nice customer service from Edelbrock.

Got the engine running, and saw the original problem the previous owner was having. Once the engine ran for several minutes it would just shut off like you turned the key. Would try to restart and just die. Wait 1/2 an hour and it would restart, run good for 20 minutes, and die. Got back in touch with Edelbrock tech using their online forum.

First thing they want to do is blame the ignition system. Maybe they see a lot of ignition related problems, which are blamed on the EFI. I am using an MSD6AL box. It worked well with the carb. So I relocated many wires away from anything related to the EFI, No help. Switched MSD boxes with my 72, still no help. Tech was still after a tach signal loss.

Finally I took a video of the tablet screen while pumping the gas during a restart failure. Pumping the gas during a restart would keep the engine running, popping and choking but running. We could see the tach reading when doing this. Not a tach loss. We also could see the manifold vacuum at -25 the entire time, even with key on and the engine not running. Failed MAP sensor! It would fail when warmed up.    

Edelbrock uses a 1bar GM map sensor. Got another from Oreilly, around $75, and replaced it. Problem solved.  

Now with the system working I could program in my AFR values and let it learn. I really like the system. I have been playing with carbs for some time. They say a well tuned carb will outperform an EFI system. But, an EFI system will outperform a carb that is not perfectly tuned. I find that to be true.

The car runs great on the EFI. Off idle transition is perfect. Smooth idle, great street manners. It was so easy to dial in the cold start, acceleration fuel to get rid of any stumbles, and leaning out the cruise for economy. While still maintaining a rich enough WOT for great full throttle and top end. The EFI learns how to transition through idle to WOT and cruise. Something you will fight forever with a carb. And no fuel bowl leaks to boot.  

The video of the tablet showing the loss of vacuum signal and no restart. I just wish they would program in some OBD to help with trouble shooting a failed sensor.

https://youtu.be/A_nW-CfwhzE
https://youtu.be/Rn-776JmXfg
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cdr

Very cool Paul, just a note if you are running a dual plane intake, running a 1/2,, or better a 1" carb spacer the Tbody efi will work much better, IF you have hood clearance, My car picked up HP going EFI, & the carb was tuned very well. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Paul G

Quote from: cdr on February 21, 2020, 07:16:57 PM
Very cool Paul, just a note if you are running a dual plane intake, running a 1/2,, or better a 1" carb spacer the Tbody efi will work much better, IF you have hood clearance, My car picked up HP going EFI, & the carb was tuned very well. 

Running a 1" spacer under the throttle body. It runs well.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

cdr

Quote from: Paul G on February 21, 2020, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: cdr on February 21, 2020, 07:16:57 PM

Running a 1" spacer under the throttle body. It runs well.

:coolgleamA:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TexasStroker

Nice, glad you got the issue resolved and are liking the system...especially since you got a great deal on it!  There are a few of us from DC over on the Eddy forums...most being in the Pro-Flo 4 section.  I have had pretty good luck getting info from other users and the mods.  Nate, who helped quite a few of us out, has left, but I'm sure some others will step up.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

c00nhunterjoe

Glad you got a good deal.on it and got it fixed up cheap. Happy tire smoke.

69Chrgr

I installed this exact system on a customers 73 Cuda that I built an aluminum headed 440 for. Had very similar issues, to find out it was extremely sensitive to voltage dropping below 11 volts during cranking. Finally got that figured out and installed the Edlebrock timing control along with it. It was an animal after we got it dialed in. The timing control was a HUGE improvement with that system, so much that I decided to use the Holley Dual Sync for my Sniper on my Charger. The timing control really makes these F.I. systems that much better INMHO. Good job figuring it out. :2thumbs: