News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch Adjusting Rod Length

Started by CRW-FK5, February 17, 2020, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRW-FK5

In order to get the clutch pedal to come all the way back when released, I found I need to adjust the clutch rod nearly all the way out, leaving little engagement between the hole in the shift fork and the rod.  I appear to have the correct length for my car (approx. 5").  Has anyone else experienced this condition with their cars?  Is there a longer length rod that can be ordered that works with big block B-body?

metallicareload99

I don't think it's normal, adjusted that far out suggests the clutch disc is too thick. Is this a new problem, what pressure plate are you using, and are you using a over center spring?

My clutch is adjusted out that far, but I just attributed it to the crappyness of this current clutch and the rear main seal seems to leak a good amount.  As the disc wears you'll adjust the nut forward
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

CRW-FK5

Quote from: metallicareload99 on February 18, 2020, 10:55:32 AM
I don't think it's normal, adjusted that far out suggests the clutch disc is too thick. Is this a new problem, what pressure plate are you using, and are you using a over center spring?

My clutch is adjusted out that far, but I just attributed it to the crappyness of this current clutch and the rear main seal seems to leak a good amount.  As the disc wears you'll adjust the nut forward
Clutch is new, but even on my old one (which was not worn badly) I noticed it was adjusted back quite a bit (nut near end of rod thread).  Pressure plate is same as before, just rebuilt.  Not sure of any details of it.  Using original over-center spring set up. 

Thanks for your help.

metallicareload99

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on February 19, 2020, 08:57:04 AM
Clutch is new, but even on my old one (which was not worn badly) I noticed it was adjusted back quite a bit (nut near end of rod thread).  Pressure plate is same as before, just rebuilt.  Not sure of any details of it.  Using original over-center spring set up. 

Thanks for your help.

I think your situation is due to a new disc and using the over center spring. If it works properly I wouldn't worry about it  :shruggy: 

I know when I threw this used clutch and pressure plate behind my engine it was way out like in your picture. In my case it seems like contamination of the disc has caused it to swell, but after 15,000 to 20,000 miles I think the adjusting nut is finally further forward
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth