News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A reasonable hemicar?

Started by lloyd3, February 19, 2020, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Other than buying a trashed newer Charger/Challenger, what years/models in the 60s demand the least money?  Off the top of my head, I'm  thinking something like a '65 Satelite?  What do the Plain-Jane, sleeper-type cars go for anymore?

Daytona R/T SE

The '66 and '67 Hemi cars seem to bring the least money.

RallyeMike

I agree the early Satellites and Belvederes. I've been looking at these for awhile. They made a reasonable number of them and there seems to be a high percentage of survivor-types compared to other models.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lloyd3

I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 19, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Have I got a 572 cu in crossram equipped hemi 4 speed car for you!

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

lloyd3

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 19, 2020, 03:04:18 PM
Quote from: lloyd3 on February 19, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Have I got a 572 cu in crossram equipped hemi 4 speed car for you!

Nice ride!  👍
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RallyeMike

QuoteToo flashy. I like sleepers.

:yesnod:   I've been drooling over the light yellow 4-speed Belvy for sale with manual everything, heater and radio delete and something like $14k miles, .... but no garage space  :'(   If I had an empty slot I think I'd be on a plane to check it out.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Yeah, those 66 and 67 Hemi cars just never gain the dollar factor of some of the other cars.

lloyd3

Yeah, that 66 Belvedere is pretty neat (a bit shopworn, but ultra low-miles if it's real). There's a comparable 67 R/T Coronet automatic out there as well (both yellow).  Neither have the visual appeal of the 2nd Gen Chargers but....a hemi is a hemi, no matter where it originated, and I've owned enough of the mid 60s B-body stuff to fully appreciate them.

gtx6970

Depends on condition. I think the cheapest way into a Hemi car is probably a base line model 1966 Coronet or maybe a base line Belvedere sedans

If you are patient I think you could find a running driving car for low $50s  ,,,MAYBE even upper 40s if your willing to take on some work

I think a 67 RT or GTX will push that number into the sixties or seventies money wise .Im in the market and have looked at a bunch of 66-67 Plymouth B bodies ( both hemi and 440 cars ) At least for anything Ive found the past 12-14 months .
FYI, There was a blue 67 hemi GTX advertised for a while last fall and I was told 2nd hand that maybe the car could have been bought for low 60s MAYBE even upper 50s And it was a running driving car with some small detail issues . But looked ok in pictures

PS, I base my opinion on real cars not clones.

lloyd3

A original hemi Coronet 500 sold a while back on carsonline that would have likely met my needs.  It went in the 50s I believe.  I don't think I'd be interested in a clone either.

gtx6970

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 20, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
A original hemi Coronet 500 sold a while back on carsonline that would have likely met my needs.  It went in the 50s I believe.  I don't think I'd be interested in a clone either.

I remember a Coronet was in Ohio I think . Car sold pretty quick and I think it was in the low 50s . Best I remember. And it was a running driving car.
There was a Teal colored Coronet on ebay last fall maybe and I think it was low or mid 50s. And it was a stellar looking car I gave serious thoughts to ,,,and I dont even like the 66-67 Coronet body style
The car I'm working on is mid $50s is a 1966 Plymouth

Ive been keeping an eye on sales and auction results the past year or so . And 2 1966 Satellites sold last month at Mecum for upper 70s
There are a few 1966 Satellites around for sale

Black one in Ontario . This one Im shocked has not sold. Car looks great in pictures and I dont think is priced out of hand . And is a real black on black 4 spd car
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2162227.html

Red one in Texas
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2318099.html

Black one in Phoenix AZ
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2364674.html

lloyd3

Thanks folks. Why is everything red?

Mike DC

There's a popular shade called 'Resale Red'. 

Green cars don't sell.  Red ones do. 

It's also a mid-1960s Mopar drag racing thing.  Red and white color schemes were big in those years. 

gtx6970

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 20, 2020, 07:40:32 PM
Thanks folks. Why is everything red?

These are just the ones I looked at recently and knew where the advertised links were.
I've seen a lot of red coronets, but several whites and maybe 1 or 2 pale yellow

One of the Satellites I saw recently is black, but originally a white car ( might be the one advertised in Phoenix ,,,or maybe not cant remember  )

lloyd3

Well, I talked to the fellow handling the '66 yellow hemicar in Ohio. He offered me 35k for my car against 72k for the Belvedere so....I guess not.  An interesting  exercise none-the-less. His opinion was that mine would retail for around 40. I'm thinking he's a bit low but....oh well.

Mike DC

Early Hemi cars are cheaper because those bodystyles aren't aging as well.  The B-bodies from 1967-down are looking a lot 'older' than the later stuff.   

lloyd3

No question.  The cars being designed and marketed before the "youth market" was fully explored (and then heavily-exploited) don't seem to have the panache the '68 and up Mopars do.  One reason why the 2nd Gen cars are seemingly "evergreen". Unless there is a personal connection to these earlier cars (as I do happen to have) they seem archaic to the following generations of drivers. My 16 year old son seems to be an exception to this rule, however.  

gtx6970

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2020, 11:13:50 AM

Early Hemi cars are cheaper because those bodystyles aren't aging as well.  The B-bodies from 1967-down are looking a lot 'older' than the later stuff.   

IMO, one of the the biggest obstacle with the earlier cars is parts availability . I cant make a phone call and get ' just about anything '  I need like you can for the 68-70 models .

Ive always had a slight likeness to the 66-67 Plymouth B bodies. And parts was always a factor if I pursued a purchase for one or not . I almost bought a red with red interior 1967 GTX , hemi auto project many years ago. But finding trim for that car was gonna be tough. so I passed ( yes,,,I know should have bought it anyway for the $5000 he wanted for it ( with hemi in it ))

The primary reason Im after the 1966 Satellite,,,,,,,,its done. On top of the fact its my dream color combination

lloyd3

Yeah....you better buy the earlier cars already done (or original). Way cheaper in the long run. Another issue is safety & driveability. Earlier single-reservoir systems and drum brakes do not mesh well with modern traffic. Newer cars are much lighter and usually have discs all the way around now.  They can stop so-much shorter than any of the musclecar-era cars, it isn't even funny. Moreover, seat belts were almost non-existent pre-1966.  Most of the nicely re-done cars have addressed both issues. Original cars....oh well.

Mytur Binsdirti

You'd be better off selling yours and finding something you like rather than trading.

lloyd3

No question.  In all likelihood I'll just sit tight. I've had this car so long now it's like a member if the family. That's certainly how my son sees it.