News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A reasonable hemicar?

Started by lloyd3, February 19, 2020, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Other than buying a trashed newer Charger/Challenger, what years/models in the 60s demand the least money?  Off the top of my head, I'm  thinking something like a '65 Satelite?  What do the Plain-Jane, sleeper-type cars go for anymore?

Daytona R/T SE

The '66 and '67 Hemi cars seem to bring the least money.

RallyeMike

I agree the early Satellites and Belvederes. I've been looking at these for awhile. They made a reasonable number of them and there seems to be a high percentage of survivor-types compared to other models.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lloyd3

I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 19, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Have I got a 572 cu in crossram equipped hemi 4 speed car for you!

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

lloyd3

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 19, 2020, 03:04:18 PM
Quote from: lloyd3 on February 19, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
I was looking around a bit this morning (while trying to warm up in the truck). Some nice examples out there for 60 to $70k.  A fella could likely trade in a decent Charger for a nice hemicar if so motivated...

Have I got a 572 cu in crossram equipped hemi 4 speed car for you!

Nice ride!  👍
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RallyeMike

QuoteToo flashy. I like sleepers.

:yesnod:   I've been drooling over the light yellow 4-speed Belvy for sale with manual everything, heater and radio delete and something like $14k miles, .... but no garage space  :'(   If I had an empty slot I think I'd be on a plane to check it out.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Yeah, those 66 and 67 Hemi cars just never gain the dollar factor of some of the other cars.

lloyd3

Yeah, that 66 Belvedere is pretty neat (a bit shopworn, but ultra low-miles if it's real). There's a comparable 67 R/T Coronet automatic out there as well (both yellow).  Neither have the visual appeal of the 2nd Gen Chargers but....a hemi is a hemi, no matter where it originated, and I've owned enough of the mid 60s B-body stuff to fully appreciate them.

gtx6970

Depends on condition. I think the cheapest way into a Hemi car is probably a base line model 1966 Coronet or maybe a base line Belvedere sedans

If you are patient I think you could find a running driving car for low $50s  ,,,MAYBE even upper 40s if your willing to take on some work

I think a 67 RT or GTX will push that number into the sixties or seventies money wise .Im in the market and have looked at a bunch of 66-67 Plymouth B bodies ( both hemi and 440 cars ) At least for anything Ive found the past 12-14 months .
FYI, There was a blue 67 hemi GTX advertised for a while last fall and I was told 2nd hand that maybe the car could have been bought for low 60s MAYBE even upper 50s And it was a running driving car with some small detail issues . But looked ok in pictures

PS, I base my opinion on real cars not clones.

lloyd3

A original hemi Coronet 500 sold a while back on carsonline that would have likely met my needs.  It went in the 50s I believe.  I don't think I'd be interested in a clone either.

gtx6970

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 20, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
A original hemi Coronet 500 sold a while back on carsonline that would have likely met my needs.  It went in the 50s I believe.  I don't think I'd be interested in a clone either.

I remember a Coronet was in Ohio I think . Car sold pretty quick and I think it was in the low 50s . Best I remember. And it was a running driving car.
There was a Teal colored Coronet on ebay last fall maybe and I think it was low or mid 50s. And it was a stellar looking car I gave serious thoughts to ,,,and I dont even like the 66-67 Coronet body style
The car I'm working on is mid $50s is a 1966 Plymouth

Ive been keeping an eye on sales and auction results the past year or so . And 2 1966 Satellites sold last month at Mecum for upper 70s
There are a few 1966 Satellites around for sale

Black one in Ontario . This one Im shocked has not sold. Car looks great in pictures and I dont think is priced out of hand . And is a real black on black 4 spd car
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2162227.html

Red one in Texas
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2318099.html

Black one in Phoenix AZ
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/satellite/2364674.html

lloyd3

Thanks folks. Why is everything red?

Mike DC

There's a popular shade called 'Resale Red'. 

Green cars don't sell.  Red ones do. 

It's also a mid-1960s Mopar drag racing thing.  Red and white color schemes were big in those years. 

gtx6970

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 20, 2020, 07:40:32 PM
Thanks folks. Why is everything red?

These are just the ones I looked at recently and knew where the advertised links were.
I've seen a lot of red coronets, but several whites and maybe 1 or 2 pale yellow

One of the Satellites I saw recently is black, but originally a white car ( might be the one advertised in Phoenix ,,,or maybe not cant remember  )

lloyd3

Well, I talked to the fellow handling the '66 yellow hemicar in Ohio. He offered me 35k for my car against 72k for the Belvedere so....I guess not.  An interesting  exercise none-the-less. His opinion was that mine would retail for around 40. I'm thinking he's a bit low but....oh well.

Mike DC

Early Hemi cars are cheaper because those bodystyles aren't aging as well.  The B-bodies from 1967-down are looking a lot 'older' than the later stuff.   

lloyd3

No question.  The cars being designed and marketed before the "youth market" was fully explored (and then heavily-exploited) don't seem to have the panache the '68 and up Mopars do.  One reason why the 2nd Gen cars are seemingly "evergreen". Unless there is a personal connection to these earlier cars (as I do happen to have) they seem archaic to the following generations of drivers. My 16 year old son seems to be an exception to this rule, however.  

gtx6970

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2020, 11:13:50 AM

Early Hemi cars are cheaper because those bodystyles aren't aging as well.  The B-bodies from 1967-down are looking a lot 'older' than the later stuff.   

IMO, one of the the biggest obstacle with the earlier cars is parts availability . I cant make a phone call and get ' just about anything '  I need like you can for the 68-70 models .

Ive always had a slight likeness to the 66-67 Plymouth B bodies. And parts was always a factor if I pursued a purchase for one or not . I almost bought a red with red interior 1967 GTX , hemi auto project many years ago. But finding trim for that car was gonna be tough. so I passed ( yes,,,I know should have bought it anyway for the $5000 he wanted for it ( with hemi in it ))

The primary reason Im after the 1966 Satellite,,,,,,,,its done. On top of the fact its my dream color combination

lloyd3

Yeah....you better buy the earlier cars already done (or original). Way cheaper in the long run. Another issue is safety & driveability. Earlier single-reservoir systems and drum brakes do not mesh well with modern traffic. Newer cars are much lighter and usually have discs all the way around now.  They can stop so-much shorter than any of the musclecar-era cars, it isn't even funny. Moreover, seat belts were almost non-existent pre-1966.  Most of the nicely re-done cars have addressed both issues. Original cars....oh well.

Mytur Binsdirti

You'd be better off selling yours and finding something you like rather than trading.

lloyd3

No question.  In all likelihood I'll just sit tight. I've had this car so long now it's like a member if the family. That's certainly how my son sees it.

lloyd3

I just went out and looked hard for comparables to my car to mostly see if this hemicar guy knew something I didn't.  Wow! Anything comparable wasn't anything I'd really be interested in and it was still frightfully expensive (~$75k plus).  Even if they're building in $10k of wiggle room into their on-line prices, they seem pretty unrealistic.  I'm guessing the live auction prices (Barret Jackson & the like) are a bit more representative, but I'm still not sure what to think.

gtx6970

I watch Ebay, ck the recent auction listings, even will  cruise around some of the online for sale pages , Cars online etc  . If it interests me, I bookmark it and keep an eye on if / when it sells and how long it took from the day I saw it.

take any sale price with a grain of salt to determine value. Unless you know the car or seen it in person you are relying on pictures someone may have taken to hide or highlight   flaws if any
So  I tend to think of any sale price as an average

Keep all this in mind and you will get a fairly realistic idea of value range pretty quick

I've come up with the idea most 66-67 hemi B bodies will sell fairly reasonable in the mid 60s , probably more  if its an upper trim level car such as GTX  or Coronet R/T

This is what I've been searching for so haven't really followed values on much else

fc7_plumcrazy

Hi,

a factory 66 Hemi Charger just sold on eBay a few days ago for 45k$$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233500197195

Carsten

gtx6970

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on February 23, 2020, 04:41:24 PM
Hi,

Carsten

Someone looking to get a Hemi car , IMO a 66 Charger is about the cheapest way in  / bottom of the barrel . Looking at that car I think it still needs $20k to make a nice driver out of it.
OR, do nothing and drive the snot out of it if that makes you happy. But IMO $45k is absolute top dollar for one in that condition ,,,probably over priced.  But it at least appears to be complete. So maybe not .
To each there own i guess.

Again my  :Twocents: only.

chargerperson

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 23, 2020, 06:04:07 PM
Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on February 23, 2020, 04:41:24 PM
Hi,

Carsten

Someone looking to get a Hemi car , IMO a 66 Charger is about the cheapest way in  / bottom of the barrel . Looking at that car I think it still needs $20k to make a nice driver out of it.
OR, do nothing and drive the snot out of it if that makes you happy. But IMO $45k is absolute top dollar for one in that condition ,,,probably over priced.  But it at least appears to be complete. So maybe not .
To each there own i guess.

Again my  :Twocents: only.

Agree, $45k for that car was a little steep.

lloyd3

What I think I'm seeing is that decent 2 gen chargers are worth as-much or more than decent early hemi b-bodies. Styling and visuals are becoming more valuable than raw performance (perhaps this isn't new?). I'm guessing that part of that is the "care & feeding" component  of a hemicar.  A stock 440 car is pretty easy to live with. A hemi...maybe not so-much?  In my early adulthood, a 383 or a 440 car made much more sense for the simple reason of "practicality".  Cost and dependability was paramount then and big-wedge cars were arguably both. That isn't much of an issue now (for all the obvious reasons) but the market seems to still be affected by that to some degree. I'm guessing that one still needs to be a fairly competent gearhead to own, operate, and then maintain a true "elephant" car. Surely that still acts to limit the pool of potential buyers for these units?

Aero426

Quote from: lloyd3 on February 24, 2020, 08:51:13 AM
What I think I'm seeing is that decent 2 gen chargers are worth as-much or more than decent early hemi b-bodies. Styling and visuals are becoming more valuable than raw performance (perhaps this isn't new?). I'm guessing that part of that is the "care & feeding" component  of a hemicar.  A stock 440 car is pretty easy to live with. A hemi...maybe not so-much?  In my early adulthood, a 383 or a 440 car made much more sense for the simple reason of "practicality".  Cost and dependability was paramount then and big-wedge cars were arguably both. That isn't much of an issue now (for all the obvious reasons) but the market seems to still be affected by that to some degree. I'm guessing that one still needs to be a fairly competent gearhead to own, operate, and then maintain a true "elephant" car. Surely that still acts to limit the pool of potential buyers for these units?

I agree.   The wedge engine will always be the practical choice if you really want to use the car.   Multiple carb setups and Hemis have always been more finicky.    That said, there are still only two kinds of Mopar people.    Those who want Hemis and those who have Hemis.    :2thumbs:

gtx6970

Quote from: Aero426 on February 24, 2020, 09:50:24 AM

I agree.   The wedge engine will always be the practical choice if you really want to use the car.   Multiple carb setups and Hemis have always been more finicky.    That said, there are still only two kinds of Mopar people.    Those who want Hemis and those who have Hemis.    :2thumbs:

Wedge engines are / were simpler to work on . hydraulic lifters, a single carb( most of the time ) usually a single point dist all lend itself  towards the main stream mechanics.

In the right hands a street hemi can be just as pratical, so to speak.
Ive always felt the hemi is best to dial it in , and  unless something breaks ,,,,,,, then LEAVE IT ALONE .  ( solid lifter cars might be an exception depending on how much it gets driven.)

I am of the former group and about to become a part of the latter here shortly if all goes as planned

moparchris

I just picked up a 67 hemi GTX here in Phoenix.  Black with red guts, Red stripes.  Owner had started trying to do a light restoration but only got as far as rebuilding the engine and sanding down the engine compartment.  Rest of the car is plenty nice enough to drive as is and have a very nice driver level car.  These cars are out there and I think as the population continues to age, more and more of them will hit the market.  Is it as beautiful as some other Mopars?  No, i don't believe it is.  But at a certain point I think money talks for most of us and I'd rather have $50K all in on a nice hemi car to have fun with than $90 and be intimidated to ever drive it. :Twocents:

gtx6970

Quote from: moparchris on February 24, 2020, 09:33:37 PM
I just picked up a 67 hemi GTX here in Phoenix.  Black with red guts, Red stripes.  Owner had started trying to do a light restoration but only got as far as rebuilding the engine and sanding down the engine compartment.  Rest of the car is plenty nice enough to drive as is and have a very nice driver level car.  These cars are out there and I think as the population continues to age, more and more of them will hit the market.  Is it as beautiful as some other Mopars?  No, i don't believe it is.  But at a certain point I think money talks for most of us and I'd rather have $50K all in on a nice hemi car to have fun with than $90 and be intimidated to ever drive it. :Twocents:

Dude,
You just bought my dream  color combination in a body style thats very high on my list as well.
The car Im after is 1966 Satellite, also black with red interior. Hemi Auto

Was originally planning to have it here by end of March. But we've decided to wait and go back , make the deal and take the car to the Mopar Nats in Columbus this August,,THEN have it shipped  here to Tucson. Odds are it will be the last time I get to the Nats ,,( maybe not )

lloyd3

I hope I'm wrong but... I'm guessing that as the Boomers continue to age-out, more and more of these cars will be coming onto the market.  With a few exceptions, most 20-somethings couldn't care less about them. For many, they are a political anathema (not "green" man!) and most simply won't ever have the disposable cash needed.  Moreover, the vast majority don't even remotely possess the skill-sets needed for the care and feeding component discussed here earlier.  That will likely be an issue for all the older modes of transit in the fairly near-future, but for something as finicky as a solid-lifter, dual carb hemicar...

moparchris

I think the time for most of these cars is winding down (in general).  There will always be a few guys who want to have an old car and the bigger the reputation the more they will want it.  Playing the long game on valuation for cars from the 60's is not a real good plan IMO.  If you want a car that's very fast, very fun and all Mopar more people should be looking at Vipers.  That's a car that is faster than a stock 60's street hemi and will appeal to the younger crowd, some of whom will have disposable income in the not to distant future.  I know the Viper's don't feel like our beloved older cars, but they do everything better in reality.

lloyd3

I finally had a quiet moment to digest some of the earlier posts here. That 66 hemi Charger that sold on ebay for $45k is pretty illustrative.  Somebody (the seller?) put a fuel tank on it, rebuilt the automatic transmission, replaced the original carbs with modern Eidelbrocks,  put disc  brakes  on the front, and gave it a modern distributor.   Talk about a rat-rod(!), that thing would be perfect to puddle around-in back in Hillbilly Hell where I grew up (which was where it was also sold...West Virginia!). Heck...if I was still a girl-chasing, beer drinking hellion (sadly, 40 years ago now I fear).  Oh well, I'd like to think that Charger defines the bottom on these cars. Lots of the other cars listed range from $60 to $80k, depending on overall health and originality.  The red Satellite automatic in Texas is about what I'd  be looking for (originality & condition) for a driver (if it wasn't red).  There's even a 66 Coronet here in Denver that was originally a turquoise green, but was repainted to a cinnamon red (ugh!). There is the black one listed earlier here that even admits that the block was broken and then welded and they still want $72k for it. Not only no but hell no.

Jay Leno has a 1966 hemi Coronet that he's done one of his garage shows on. Dark green, auto, black interior. Now.... that is a nice Coronet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qooCmc7h78

I'd consider light or dark green, yellow, bronze, silver....anything but red.

gtx6970

Quote from: moparchris on February 26, 2020, 05:18:34 PM
I think the time for most of these cars is winding down (in general).  There will always be a few guys who want to have an old car and the bigger the reputation the more they will want it.  Playing the long game on valuation for cars from the 60's is not a real good plan IMO.  If you want a car that's very fast, very fun and all Mopar more people should be looking at Vipers.  That's a car that is faster than a stock 60's street hemi and will appeal to the younger crowd, some of whom will have disposable income in the not to distant future.  I know the Viper's don't feel like our beloved older cars, but they do everything better in reality.

I would agree they seem to have leveled off value wise . But I'm not so sure they are winding downward. I know of a few sales the past year or so and all purchased by guys my age ( 60 ) and most are close to or over $50k

The biggest problem I see  is the cars have got so expensive . A lot of guys need to sell one in order to buy one. Disposable cash flow is rare to make that kind of single purchase for a toy . The hemi convertibles and wing cars IMO will always have top dog value to collectors. Although I can see them loosing 'some '  value simply because the big money guys move there money around to generate expendable cash . And the IN at that level is expensive to get started.
Its the more upper level  mainstream cars that will take the hit percentage wise  ( imo )  such as the six pack and  hemi hardtops .

mid-level Cars such as a 383 road runner or 340 Duster will always retain a 'decent' value simply because they are a cheaper 'IN ' so to speak

I'll use myself as an example .
I'm about to retire in the next 2 years or so and have been without an old car for nearly 10 years now. I have reached a point in my life this one will most likely be my last one. I'll need something to take up some new found free time and why not let that be an old car . One that really pops my buttons ,,, I can afford it.   So I want to ck ALL the boxes on my wish list, as far as power train, colors and options. So Im after a Hemi car . Might not be the absolute dream body style ( that would be a 1969 GTX ,,,which for a hemi  is way out of my budget ) ,,
,but the one Im after is pretty darn close and it IS my dream color combination of black with red interior . Im not to worried about the value versus costs to much,,,to a point  . My kids can work that out  once Im sniffing dirt. I'm 100% sure they will NOT sell it anyway. probably fight over who gets it which weekend actually

odcics2

Most of the professional younger guys I know have the money for an expensive, old, muscle cars but choose NOT to get involved. 
Their priorities are different.
If you GAVE them a Hemi 'cuda, they would cash out.

I've talked to many guys in their 60s that see the same thing.  A few have kids that SAY they'll take car of dad's old cars when he kicks...

Look at Steve Juliano's collection!  He had it all planned out to be self sustaining and it got cashed out ASAP!!!!!!!    :rotz:   

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

Do not know if this one is an original Hemi car but it has one now

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/barrie/1965-plymouth-satellite/1490130063

Description
1965 Plymouth Satellite, 528 Hemi, TTI Headers, TCI Street Fighter Transmission, 8 3/4 Sure Grip, 3;55 Gears, American Racing Torq Thrust Rims, BFG T/A's, Car is extremely clean, Body is excellent, Paint is excellent, Interior is excellent, Chrome/Trim is excellent, Underneath is as clean as the top, Car is a 9 out of 10, No Trades

1965 Plymouth Satellite
$57,500.00

This is in Canadian money so if you use $1.34 Canadian is the same as $1 US the price works out to around $43000 US
That might be what you are looking for not too flashy
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

gtx6970

not factory Im sure.
No street hemi was put in a 1965 Satelite

lloyd3

It looks to be a very nicely done clone.

gtx6970

Quote from: CAPER on March 20, 2020, 04:14:09 PM
Mecum-66 Hemi Coronet Sold $40,700

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0320-404935/1966-dodge-hemi-coronet-500/

I wonder if it actually changed hands OR if the owner bought it back

if it changed hands , thats a screaming deal and odds are the current state of the country played a very big part in sale price