News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

do I need to adjust steering box

Started by Animal, May 13, 2006, 05:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Animal

Rebuilt the whole front end,but power steering feels a little tight.If I disconnect outer tie rods from both wheels,they turn easily,so I have no problem with upper & lower ball joints on both sides.
Checked idler arm & that moves freely,(new one),all I can put it down to,is a tight power steering box I got from year one.Tyres have correct pressures,anyhow,it is tight even when wheels are off ground.Also it is very hard to move wheels from lock to lock by hand.You would of thought a new box shoud'nt need adjusting.When driving,steering does not return by itself.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Adam.

bull

Normally I'd say be thankful that the steering is a little tight on a Charger, but this sounds too tight. There may be a fluid restriction somewhere, is it making any noise as it would when the fluid is low? Are there any problems with the pump and reservoir? Kinked hose? If everything looks to be in order on your end I'd say Year One has some explaining to do, or the vendor they use. If they won't help you out you might try Firm Feel.

Animal

The steering is pretty light,but the wheels won't centre themselves when driving,I have to pull the steering back.Is this normal?
Thanks, Adam.

Chryco Psycho

no that is not normal , it is dangerous though , it must return to center , caster adjustment will help this a lot but I think you have other problems

Animal

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 15, 2006, 01:07:11 AM
no that is not normal , it is dangerous though , it must return to center , caster adjustment will help this a lot but I think you have other problems
So,if I was to take the essentric bolts in,it would increase the castor,pulling the steering back on its own?  :-\
thanks adam

Animal

I've seen another thread that says to adjust the castor to its max,if you are using larger rims. I have 8" rims, with 245 tyres. Which way do you turn the cam bolt,(in or out). As mentioned earlier,steering will not turn to centre.
Thanks Adam.