News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Six Barrel Superbird Throttle Return Spring Bracket and Washer Questions

Started by Mopar John, February 26, 2020, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

Photo was after a de-greasing & a pressure washing. A fair amount of paint came off.

I tried to get it running over the weekend & it still has the date coded condenser.

I have not seen anything about this engine that indicates any modifications yet.

aerolith

Great subject indeed!
Earthing issues has besieged us all over the years.
Mother Mopar knew that a bad grounding on the engine would cause problems.
So she tried to work out the 'best remedy'...

Serrated washes are a good idea, but are prone to breakage and a bad earth would result.
So they serrated the bracket as a 'failsafe' but where to put the cable?

ON top or BELOW?

Any sane person would say 'ON TOP' as it comes into contact with the carefuly created serrations made by Mother Mopar... :shruggy:

Putting it underneath, ie sandwiching makes NO sense. :slap:

The washer is also needed as the copper cable END (IMO), would 'tear-up' when the manifold is tightened.

CLEAR AS MUD... :2thumbs:

My surivor 68 R/T Charger had the same set-up as this with the cable up above.
Over the years it has become corrupted and fitted below which is just plain DAFT!!! :badidea:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

A13

If the cable end is under the return spring bracket it will not rotate as the bolt is tightened.  Possibly why Chrysler speced it to be done that way.

We were not there, that bolt could have very easily been removed at some point.  Possibly the intake manifold removed to repair a leak under warranty.  We don't know, and to assume anything 50+ years later is just that, an idea, a guess.

No paint or rust on the cable end of that 68 440 is interesting.

Also a good example of why pressure washing a survivor engine is a bad idea, you loose original details.

62 Max

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 16, 2020, 06:58:55 PM
Photo was after a de-greasing & a pressure washing. A fair amount of paint came off.

I tried to get it running over the weekend & it still has the date coded condenser.

I have not seen anything about this engine that indicates any modifications yet.

So what I see where the paint came off is rust or orange paint ?  :scratchchin:

aerolith

THAT'S WHY YOU USE A WASHER, under a bolt head... :slap:

Basic engineering practise... :pity: :shruggy: ::)
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

62 Max

Quote from: A13 on March 18, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
If the cable end is under the return spring bracket it will not rotate as the bolt is tightened.  Possibly why Chrysler speced it to be done that way.

We were not there, that bolt could have very easily been removed at some point.  Possibly the intake manifold removed to repair a leak under warranty.  We don't know, and to assume anything 50+ years later is just that, an idea, a guess.

Also a good example of why pressure washing a survivor engine is a bad idea, you loose original details.
[/quote

If you look close,where there is no paint is just about what portion of the cable end if it were originally under the bracket.,hence no paint. :Twocents:

birdsandbees

Exactly and the cable end is even manufactured to fit UNDER the bracket with a tab to put it in the correct place/orientation.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

62 Max

Quote from: 62 Max on March 19, 2020, 12:54:11 PM
Quote from: A13 on March 18, 2020, 12:49:14 PM

[/quote

[/quote

If you look close,where there is no paint is just about what portion of the cable end if it were originally under the bracket.,hence no paint. :Twocents: