News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you drive a standard transmission ??

Started by 70 sublime, February 29, 2020, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you learned how to drive a standard transmission on the road ?

I am 50 years of age or over and know how to drive a standard transmission car on the road
75 (61.5%)
I am younger than 50 years of age  and know how to drive a standard transmission on the road
45 (36.9%)
I am 50 years of age or over and do not know how to drive a standard transmission
1 (0.8%)
I am less than 50 years of age and do not know how to drive a standard transmission
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 122

70 sublime

Just curious how many can drive a standard car
I have been gathering parts to swap my Charger over to a 4 speed got me to thinking this
When I got my driver permit I learned on the family farm truck which was an auto
Dad got me my first very own car from the local junk yard and it was a standard so it was sink or swim right from the very start   :icon_smile_big:

And when I say standard I do not mean lawn mowers or motor cycles or 4 wheelers or farm equipment

I tried a dirt bike once but it did not go well so ever since any thing I have driven has had at least 4 wheels   
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

Story from my kids was that one of their friend's brother's manual transmission car get car-jacked and then driven about a block and abandoned at the next intersection.

We own two older manual transmission cars.  The charger is one of them. I would have bought one if it had been available at the right price and if my daughter hadn't 'claimed' she wouldn't be able to drive it.  This argument annoyed me because she has driven my son's older manual transmission car when necessary.  So everyone except my daughter would say they could drive a manual transmission.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

tan top

I'm 48 ! learnt to drive with a manual transmission   :yesnod: , my daily driver for the last 11 years is standard transmission ,
thinking more about it out of all the daily drivers ive had since passing my test late 80s almost all my daily drivers have been a stick shift 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

lloyd3

Short answer.....yes. First real street experience (well...dirt road) was a 1966 Dodge truck 3 on the tree when I was 13-years old (11 in an automatic '59 Merc in a farm field). Taught my son on my car as his feet were too-big for his mothers 5-speed Volvo (and 440s are comparatively rather hard to stall).  Heck, with the 3.54 Dana, mine will start off in 3rd if you so-desire.

70sixpkrt

I learned to drive a stick at one of my first jobs. Used to wash tow trucks when I was 16. Boss told me to move the tow truck and I told him I don't know how to drive a stick. He said if I blow the clutch, just use the other tow truck to tow it.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

chargerperson

Learned to drive standard in a Ford 150 3 speed on the column.  Anything after that was quite easy.

67 Charger - converted from automatic to 6 Speed

triple_green

I learned to drive a 4-speed on my cousin's 1972 LS5 454 4-speed daytona yellow t-top Corvette. On the backroads of Centralia, WA the year was 1975
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Kern Dog

I have had a few 4 speed vehicles. I converted a 76 Camaro, a 74 Duster and might convert my Charger to a manual transmission.

white

I learned to drive a stick in my 64 Impala super sport with 327 4 barrel when I was 16.

odcics2

Daily driver years ago was a 3 on the tree Dart.

198 with a 3:55 rear end !!  Fun times!  Spanked many Gremlins, Mavericks and Novas on the street!    :coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Topher

Yep. Taught my wife and 2 sons how to drive the Charger years ago. Just in case we were out and Daddy got attacked by adult beverages.  :cheers:
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

kent

Learnt how to drive standard when I was 11. Our 70 D-100 three speed on the tree. Does that count. If not Fuller 18 speed should qualify me then. When I was a kid use to load potato trucks under the boom and run them to the road. After that about 20 years over the big street.
Kent

70 sublime

So 162 have read the thread and only 32 have voted and all 32 can drive a standard
Does that mean the 130 that did not vote can not drive a stick ??????

Well it looks good that Dodge people can drive by the votes so far  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

nchrome

learned on a 54 chev 3 on the tree six popper what a hoot ran it in the ground too

green69rt

Quote from: nchrome on February 29, 2020, 09:36:28 PM
learned on a 54 chev 3 on the tree six popper what a hoot ran it in the ground too

Wow, pretty close to me.  53 Chevy column shift.  I learned in Kansas City Mo.  If anyone remembers it, KC is a series of hills, all up and down.  I learned early how to feather a clutch!

HANDM

Learned on a 80 something Chevy Luv with a worn out clutch before I even had my license
Perfected on a 70 something Datsun 620 pickup
The 73 Cuda I sold had a 440 and a PG-4
Sold my 99 Ranger manual when I got my new Ram... The ranger was the easiest to kill with too much clutch and I did it so regurlarly I felt like I was learning for the first time....lol

kab69440

I much prefer them, actually. Autos leave you disconnected from the pavement. No stick, no sale. Praise Jesus for the late model Challengers!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

JB400

I played in a few work trucks with a clutch, but the first time on the road was in a Neon headed to auction.  Told the guy I never drove one; he said I'd figure it out.  Drove plenty ever sense. :2thumbs:

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

dual fours

It had flat front fenders, four wheel drive, a four cyc. and was painted red over olive drab paint. I would drive it down the dirt road to the local gas station to buy candy. It went slow. I may have been around ten years old. No cops on the back roads around the farm. I do not recall using a seat belt :o. Then I graduated to three on the tree and three and four on the floors. Lately these past years the knees hurt so bad. It's funny these days, that when I drive an auto. on the center console, I have the left hand on the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and the right hand on the auto. shifter knob. Maybe more then one time in an auto. and power brakes, I had to brake fast and hard, both feet went on the brake pedal at the same time, good thing I had the seat belt on that time. Old habits never die.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

duckmanreno

Learned to drive a 62 Willy's Wagon. It has a Muncie 4 speed and a 283 my dad converted. It was a pretty smooth shift. My Charger is a 4 speed, and my truck is a 6 speed.
I prefer them.
22 Ford F-150 5.0 super cab FX4 hunting rig and tow vehicle
92 Toyota Tercel.  Commute Car
69 Charger 383 4 speed project car.
73 Boston Whaler Montauk

A bad day hunting beats a good day at work!

INTMD8

In regard to knees, I've not experienced issues with that but would say that may not be an issue with hydraulic actuation and diaphragm pressure plate compared to mechanical actuation and borg and beck pressure plate.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

gtx6970

Quote from: chargerperson on February 29, 2020, 01:13:40 PM
Learned to drive standard in a Ford 150 3 speed on the column.  Anything after that was quite easy.

67 Charger - converted from automatic to 6 Speed

I learned to drive in my moms  1965 Buick lesabre. then moved up to my dads 1973 Ford F150 , six cyl with 3spd column shift. My wife can drive a stick, my daughters can not . and neither have any desire to learn

Seems most if not all  of my 'non car people' friends can not, yet ALL the car people can.

Im looking for a classic car and if its a 4 spd, I keep looking as Im not interested

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Funny to see, so far, all who cannot drive a stick shift trans are not responding. LMAO  :rofl: