News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you drive a standard transmission ??

Started by 70 sublime, February 29, 2020, 09:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you learned how to drive a standard transmission on the road ?

I am 50 years of age or over and know how to drive a standard transmission car on the road
75 (61.5%)
I am younger than 50 years of age  and know how to drive a standard transmission on the road
45 (36.9%)
I am 50 years of age or over and do not know how to drive a standard transmission
1 (0.8%)
I am less than 50 years of age and do not know how to drive a standard transmission
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Todd Wilson

I drive a Toyota Corolla 5 speed every day to work.  Also have an old non sync 4 speed in my big old 47 Dodge truck.  How many can drive double clutch?!  :smilielol:

Todd

chargerperson

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on March 01, 2020, 09:23:47 AM
Funny to see, so far, all who cannot drive a stick shift trans are not responding. LMAO  :rofl:

Suspect there are few here that cannot drive a standard

BLK 68 R/T

I learned how to drive stick in an 83 Volkswagen rabbit "pickup."
Then around the time I was 17 I got a farming job and drove wheat trucks, Dodge d700 and d800 mostly with a 2 speed axle. Also drove tow truck after that on long haul, but mostly local towing. Lots of middle of the night state patrol calls and AAA calls. All the tow trucks were manual transmission. My brother has a lot of big trucks so he has showed me how to drive truck as well, 10, 13 and 18 speeds, although I do need a lot more practice with them and don't have a CDL. My daily driver for quite a few years was a beater 68 GTX with a 4 speed.

Daytona R/T SE

Yes, I can drive a manual transmission, also called a stick shift.

I don't know why some of you call it a "standard" ?  :shruggy:

I guess maybe, back in the dark ages, the cheap cars came with a three speed manual shifter mounted on the steering column "standard" and anything else was an extra cost option?  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Someone up North is bored to death posting a thread like this.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 01, 2020, 11:03:59 AM

I guess maybe, back in the dark ages, the cheap cars came with a three speed manual shifter mounted on the steering column "standard" and anything else was an extra cost option?  :shruggy:
You are right. The term "standard" did refer to the base model equipment, the 3 speed manual was most often the standard transmission, the 4 speed or automatic were extra cost options.

BLK 68 R/T

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 01, 2020, 12:39:40 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 01, 2020, 11:03:59 AM

You are right. The term "standard" did refer to the base model equipment, the 3 speed manual was most often the standard transmission, the 4 speed or automatic were extra cost options.

:cheers:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 01, 2020, 12:39:40 PM

Good subject for debate; "standard" could also mean the standard of the time wherein automatics were a new phenomenon and manual transmissions were the norm. "Stick shift" covers the whole gamut from 3 to 18-speeds.

BTW, my first stick shift car was a '55 Buick Century ex-CHP car...circa 1960.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

darbgnik

First vehicle I ever drove was in the mid 90's as a teenager: my Dad's Ford F100 with a 3 on the tree. A pretty rare setup by this time.
Of course I didn't actually have lessons, nor his permission for that matter.........

Without being able to operate a manual, I would not be able to drive my current, or past Vipers, as they only come in manual.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Manuals are fun in rural settings.  They aren't much fun in dense urban traffic.

XH29N0G

So how many of you have chirped the brakes on an automatic with a big wide brake pedal because you were reaching for the clutch.  I was a slow learner did this a few times as a teenager with my Pontiac. All my parents cars were manual and that is what I was taught on.  I remember my dad having me drive to the barn on the windy one lane road with stops starts and big hills.  After I got there he said to drive the mile back in reverse gear. not only a clutch and hills, but a sore neck.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

stripedelete

Almost rolled a new Dodge Mirada because my foot went for the clutch at a high speed.  It was a real Starky and Hutch experience.

I had a 72 Chevy C/10 with a badly worn 3-on-the-tree.   It was the ultimate theft deterrent.  Sometimes for me too.

Last fall I rolled up on a dead Silverado at an intersection.   The guy jumped out and asked asked for a little push.  It felt like the old days.

Did anyone else make sure they were parked down hill when when their battery was getting tired?

Supercharged Riot

First time driving was kn an automatic.  But when I actually bought my own first car it was manual. So I taught myself how to drive stick

69bronzeT5

I can drive standard very well. My first insured vehicle was a 1990 5.0 Mustang I bought at the age of 18. Taught myself how to drive standard on it. Currently own 3 standard transmission vehicles. For the record since the poll asked about age, I'm 27.  :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Q5XX29

Many of my "toys" are manual transmissions, so I make sure that all of my kids are proficient with them. Here's a clip of my 14 year old son driving my 1967 Lamborghini Miura. It was my first time in the passenger seat, which as you know, offers a much different enjoyment experience (and you can see, in the video, I enjoyed it)!

https://youtu.be/FEVtLY4TvBU

Same 14 year old son, at age 12, driving our "project car" S-code 1967 mustang 390 GT. You can tell that he doesn't pay for the tires.

https://youtu.be/0VBM01CrcPI
dakota_gt on Instagram

Ghoste

It's what I learned on and mostly what I've driven.

Homerr

We have an '02 Accord with an automatic and an '94 F150 with manual transmission.  I really prefer to drive the F150.

F8-4life

I made a point to have all my cars being factory 4 speeds. But for my daily driver I like an automatic.
I did not learn to drive stick until rather late, but in an old car it just adds to the fun of it.

CDN72SE

I'll be 54 this year, just learned to drive stick, two years ago. My daily driver, 2003 Cooper S 6-Speed.

1972 Charger SE

timmycharger

I had to learn if I wanted to drive. My parents gave me my first car, a 1981 Chevy Chevette with a 4 speed. Sink or swim for me.. 

I converted my 68 to a 4 speed, nothing like rowing the gears in a muscle car!!

HANDM

Taught my son (now 20) to drive when he was sixteen on my ranger. He has a 00 pontiac sunfire coupe and just recently acquired a 91 prelude SI with 4 wheel steering both manual

He's part of the manual gearbox preservation society  :lol: :lol:

Bronzedodge

It was a 79 Ford van with a 4 speed, my Dad just got a company car and I had just got my license.  I used that till I found a $200.- Super Six Aspen, but it was an auto.   

That 300 six was a good running motor too.
Mopar forever!

oldgold69

since I was twelve  I learned how to start out on a hill with out putting it in the hog pen  took a lot of tries   It took a 8 year farm kid to show me how to do it   my kid was about ten when I taught to drive a twin stick truck  5 by 4 speed

RallyeMike

What % of new cars and trucks in North America are manual anymore? It's got to be single digits at this point. Even a low-power car is fun to drive if it is at least a manual transmission.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/