News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

high output ignition coil ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 29, 2020, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I have used stock ignition coils forever but this 440 with mopar electronic ignition is a problem. I put a plug test light in the wire and  the spark is minimal at best. Will a high output coil  improve the spark  to the plugs ? Thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XH29N0G

I believe it will, but see what others say.  My reasoning is that the voltage (potential) determines how far the spark can jump (related to the gap and somehow to the air and gas in the cylinder when compressed). So higher voltage would mean more jump.  That said, I do not know if the coil voltage ranges are near the threshold for making a difference or not? 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Each of your current posts seems to all have 1 common denominator- lack of current. I suggest investigating why before changing all of these parts.

b5blue

All things the same it could. However stock has gotten the job done for 50+ years so can you read the voltage @ the battery and coil with ignition in run? Are you using points or ECU type?

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: b5blue on March 02, 2020, 11:10:13 AM
All things the same it could. However stock has gotten the job done for 50+ years so can you read the voltage @ the battery and coil with ignition in run? Are you using points or ECU type?

Mopar Electronic  chrome box now, was points.           THE 12.5 VOLT BATTERY  CRAPPED OUT TODAY. Had the voltage but O power.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

Okay now have you a backup you can pull out of something? Be sure it's fully charged if ya do! (New battery is getting costly!)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: b5blue on March 02, 2020, 08:16:09 PM
Okay now have you a backup you can pull out of something? Be sure it's fully charged if ya do! (New battery is getting costly!)

Was doing a compression test. Yes put in another battery and it cranked over no problem.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser