News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hello i need help fitting the deck lid filler and quarter panel

Started by moparqueen, March 01, 2020, 08:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparqueen

hi i am fitting the quarter panel and deck lid filler on my charger and it is not looking right.
can anyone please post photos if they have replaced these parts please?
and please critique and add input of what you think may be going on with this fitment
( i have been told the quarter may be too low but when the quarter comes up higher it makes the door gap too tight so i'm not sure what to do on that)
here are pictures below
any help is very much appreciated

also can someone please critique the door gap as well and if you have pictures of yours please send them

infiniti q70 v8 0 60

Highbanked Hauler

I am a retired bodyman and doing the exact job that you are. DO you have all the metal out of the rear window or dutchman panel as you should be way tighter than you are. The door gap is good at the top but tight at the bottom which tells me the top needs to go up a small amount. What is happening with the outer wheelhouse,original or replaced ? The back end of the quarter needs to go up SLIGHTLY.. A 1/16 up at the tail light panel will improve your door gap at the bottom. What does the back of the car look like ?

The rear window panel and the quarter both need to go up. The quarter into the roof gives you plenty of room to go up.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

cincyboy

Geez...getting ready to do this and I have anxiety about it.... :popcrn:

Basketcase69

Just finished the exact same job last month...

Yep. You're tight on the lower quarter. Have you put a floor jack under the rocker panel seam where the quarter attaches to the rocker to push the quarter panel up to the rocker in that area? If not, don't judge your door gap until they're in contact. Also, if your valance corners are not yet attached to the quarters, the panel will sag causing that gap to be tight at the bottom of the door. That quarter is heavy and long. A small adjustment at the rear (upward) should adjust that gap.

The AMD deck filler panels in the area of the rear window corners are terrible. Same with the AMD quarters in that area. Begin by getting the quarters where you want them. Temporarily attach the quarters, valance corners, rear valance, and tail panel using sheet metal screws or similar in their aligned positions before even looking at that filler panel. Then install and align the trunk lid. Install the quarter panel caps (extensions) on each side to get the trunk lid position perfect. Then, and only then, position the deck filler panel and line it up with the trunk lid, making sure the gap is consistent between the two. You will most likely be left with some of the rear window lower inner brace still exposed once the gap is where you want it. Now use a 5 pound sledge hammer and a piece of wood to coax that lower window frame brace in line with the window flange on the deck filler panel. Run a measure from the top of the upper window flange (on the top of the car) to the lowest part of the lower window flange in the center of the rear window. 22.5 inches is where you want it (if I remember correctly). If you want to be sure, do a test fit of the rear window at this time.

The corners will be difficult to the point that you may have to slice and reweld the quarters and deck filler to the proper shape of that curve. Use your rear window corner trim pieces to get the radius of this curve correct. Much time will be spent here due to the way these panels were made.

Good luck. About half way through this you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking when you bought the panels, but your refusal to give up will pay huge.....and besides, you've spent too much to give up now.....

Bronzedodge

Make sure your door is parallel to the rocker also, and the hinges are in good shape.  The gap along the bottom is usually wider than what you expect, but that's how they were built.
Mopar forever!

Mike DC

QuoteThe gap along the bottom is usually wider than what you expect, but that's how they were built.

:iagree:

That gap between the bottom of the door and the rocker is bigger than some of the other gaps.  That was probably to let out rainwater, and to give the hinges some room to sag before the two edges started rubbing.  

moparqueen

I'm sorry I've been so late to replying back I was surprised to find all these replies. Thank you so much everyone for responding to me! :) . one of the biggest problems when fitting that was causing the issue was the deck filler panel compared to the original it was the reproduction one that wasn't cut the same on both sides , but we had to keep looking it over to tell because it was such a slight change that made all the difference , the person helping me instructed to put extra metal into the corner that was cut differently from the manufacturer. we also brought the quarter more slightly up like you guys suggested , it seemed more right.