News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Awakenings...

Started by lloyd3, March 03, 2020, 04:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Springtime in the Rockies here today. Dragged it out on the starter and dumped a cup-o-gas into the AVS.  Needed to add a bit of power steering fluid as well, but otherwise...

Runs about the way it did when I put it away last November.  Went and bought 10-gallons of premium and ran it long enough to put a fresh charge into the battery. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice too.  If I get a chance for another toot then...great!  After that, it's back in the garage and under the cover for a few more months. My 24-year anniversary with this car is in May.

Challenger340

You're a lucky dawg there Lloyd.... and your Charger looks just awesome  :2thumbs:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

birdsandbees

NICE.. can't say I can do that ANY time soon ! :P
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

VegasCharger

DownZero

Kern Dog

That is a good looking car. Why put it away for 2 more months? Are you busy with something ?

lloyd3

Thanks folks!

Kern Dog: It might get out a little sooner but springs here have been pretty spotty anymore. And....the usual complications apply here as well. You know the mantra...everything else (work, wife, kid, dog) comes first.  It did feel good to get in a few strong pulls with it coming up the hill to the house.  Still as visceral as it ever was. The sounds  (and g-forces) of a happy 440 are still a big hit for me after all these years, still music to my ears.   It's also always a surprise to drive it after a steady diet of modern cars and trucks because it requires so-much more effort, so-much more deliberation.  Your attention is demanded and is immediately required or else(!). No screwing around with your cellphone or daydreaming is tolerated. Either the gates on my shifter need attention or I need to re-learn the subtleties of an old A-833. At first, the synchonizers seem balky and slow to work or even mesh, then things start to warm up a bit (both me and the car) and soon after that it all starts to come back.  It needs washed and wiped down to look right, and the windows are all smudgy but....it won't be long now.

Kern Dog

Glad to see that you still are out there with it.
I drive mine dirty, clean and in between. I used to treat it like a tuxedo...never taking it out without it being super clean. Oddly, I got more attention with the car when it was the original color and ratty !

Mytur Binsdirti

Nice looking color combination Lloyd. We haven't had much snow here this winter & the streets are pretty clean. I had mine out a couple weeks ago.

odcics2

My first Charger was a 68, same color, black top, blue interior.
I had Ansen slots on it with the LARGE Goodyear Rally GT tires.

Those of you that are older will remember those as looking like Nascar stock car tires!   :coolgleamA:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

lloyd3

Pretty dramatic before and after Kern Dog!

Mytur/odcics2: I don't remember many blue car, blue interior combinations from my youth. Most were blue and black.

Nice again today but the roads are still loaded with dirt and sand. Winter is far from over here (March is the snowiest month in Colorado).  I'll make one more spin in it and maybe wipe it off before re-internment.

Mytur Binsdirti

comet_666

Wish I could take mine out but they salt the streets here like crazy. Also our "spring" starts in June and lasts for a week before it's 90.
Sweet rides though guys!

70 sublime

I keep looking at the road in front of my house and think it will not be long .. then I look at how much mud is between where the car is sitting and the road  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Kern Dog

I wish this forum allowed our locations to be listed to help me see where everyone lives.
Here in Northern CA, it still rains off and on through early May but we rarely ever see snow. It has been mid to high 70s for a couple of weeks.

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 04, 2020, 07:03:21 PM
I wish this forum allowed out locations to be listed to help me see where everyone lives.
Here in Northern CA, it still rains off and on through early May but we rarely ever see snow. It has been mid to high 70s for a couple of weeks.

Lucky Dog! 

Er, I mean Kern Dog!    :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

lloyd3

Got a reminder of about some of the challenges of driving these old cars in the modern day. Cool and bright this morning so...while about and about with the car, I stopped at Starbucks for a cup of Joe. Took it back to the car to drink it and then headed off before it was gone.  Unlike all modern cars and trucks, there is simply no place to put a cup of coffee anywhere in that interior while driving. The gyrations I went through to shift and steer while switching hands with that cup were pretty comical.  Between the traffic in that parking lot and then the main drag through town, it just wasn't much fun. Didn't spill anything and... it was good to get it out one last time (sure runs good in the 40-degree temps we had this AM!). Back under the cover again now for a few more weeks as I'm back on the road this Sunday.

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

myk

Somebody's gotta figure out a cupholder solution for these cars.  I had an idea but I dont want to hack my console.  Glad you got your car out and about Lloyd...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

LaOtto70Charger

I screwed a Advance auto black storage organizer with 2 cup holders to the floor in mine. One good thing about a buddy seat and and column auto.  Than I glued a blue tooth portable speaker to the top of the organizer for the music.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: lloyd3 on March 19, 2020, 06:24:18 PM
Weather here today...

Whatever you can do to keep that weather there would be greatly appreciated.

myk

Quote from: LaOtto70Charger on March 19, 2020, 07:21:56 PM
I screwed a Advance auto black storage organizer with 2 cup holders to the floor in mine. One good thing about a buddy seat and and column auto.  Than I glued a blue tooth portable speaker to the top of the organizer for the music.

Nice.  Pictures, if you please...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

6pkrtse

I have had mine out a couple of times already this early spring.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

darbgnik

Quote from: myk on March 19, 2020, 06:34:32 PM
Somebody's gotta figure out a cupholder solution for these cars.  I had an idea but I dont want to hack my console.  Glad you got your car out and about Lloyd...

Not elegant, but 3m-taped a couple parts store generic cup holders to the floor of the console towards the front for more ease of access.

You have to have the console open for them to work, but the same was true for the cupholders inside the console of my old Stealth twin turbo I had years ago. Of course the upside to that is they are hidden with the console closed. And they do actually work for holding coffee.

Pretty sure these are the ones:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/small-dashboard-cup-holder-0371336p.html#srp
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html