News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield lower moulding clips

Started by RealRT, March 04, 2020, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealRT

My 69 Charger do not have holes for the 10 lower windshield molding clips.

green69rt

Is there a question here or a problem?  Or just sharing info.  Quality control was not that good in 69 so some may have been left off of the hole filled in at some point.  They are easy enough to drill if one is missing.

RealRT

I had no luck posting pictures to show what I am talking about. I ordered a new set of windshield molding clips and installed the small one's on top and side. The 10 larger one suppose to go on bottom but my cowl do not have any holes drilled and I am not sure exactly where to drill or how high or low they should be.

green69rt

The bottom clips set in shallow indents in the metal.  Example picture attached.  The holes are close to centered in the indent.

RealRT

Thank's, That is what I needed to see. Do they extend over top of cowl panel or are they about flush?

green69rt

Quote from: RealRT on March 04, 2020, 01:43:20 PM
Thank's, That is what I needed to see. Do they extend over top of cowl panel or are they about flush?

What you need to do is install them without the windshield in place.  Then install the metal trim pieces and check the fit and how far it sticks above the sheet metal of the cowl.  If you can, put the gasket in place and check the trim fit again.  This is mostly a matter of personal preference and most folks don't want the trim to stand very far above the cowl metal.  Most important to me is that the trim is uniform around the window.   The clips have a small amount of adjustment but not much.  I don't remember if the slips stick above the cowl,  I don't think so.  If you look at the picture, you can see that it looks like the bottom curve of the clip sets into the bottom curve of the indent.  That should be as low as the clips install so put them in place and drill the screw hole at the elongated trim screw hole.  Or just drill the hole in the middle of the detent and take whatever you get.  I would do a lot of fitting first though and see how it looks to you.   Once you drill, you're committed.

Look at the back of the trim.  You can see the lip of the trim that the clip hooks into. 

And get a new set of screws, they have a dab of sealant on the threads to seal the holes.  Use the old screws till you understand how everything fits then install with the new screws.

5wndwcpe

On my car, many of the screws were snapped off and a previous hack had painted over the indents making it appear as though there never were any holes.  What we did was to take a very worn out (read:small) zip wheel and run the edge back and forth lightly.  You should be able to see a very small circle, which is what is left of the screw.  At this point there is about a half of a thread holding it in.  A small punch knocked mine out and left the hole intact.