News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Amsoil or PennGrade1?

Started by Captain D, March 06, 2020, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Just curious to see if I could get some opinions on the info below, if I may ask please:

In your opinion, would you recommend the Amsoil Z-Rod *FULL* synthetic oil (10W-30 or 20W-50) or the synthetic *BLEND* 10W-40 from PennGrade1 (both have that much needed zinc / phosphorous additives + winter storage bonding capabilities)?

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/z-rod-keeps-vehicles-street-ready/

Just curious if the full synthetic or the blend would be better for my 69' Charger 383, here in southern Pennsylvania. I've been running the PennGrade1 (AKA Brad Penn) for the past several years, so I didn't know if I 'could' switch or would it be best if I simply keep on w/ the PennGrade1 altogether. Thank you for your time and any info...

Challenger340

I don't use nor recommend any synthetics whatsoever in these old Engines.... NOT because synthetics are great Oils... they are !
but very simply....
because from our experience anyways... the Synthetics extremely high viscosity would seem to promote oil leaks ?
To explain further, and again here you do as you see fit... because this is just a caution and yours may be just fine.... but we've seen where even the slightest "weep" of a gasket in older generation engines/gasket Tech very quickly becomes a full blown Oil leak when Synthetic Oils are introduced ?

And remember.... these Old Engines used much Older Gasket Technology than any of these newer engines designed with far better gasket technology ?

Again, just a word of caution, yours may be just FINE ?
But if you develop a full blown oil leak after switching to Synthetic Oil ? you may know why...
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

The only time i would run synthetic in a big block mopar is with a solid roller cam. Anything else gets brad penn.

Captain D

Sounds good - Thank you gents; that's all I needed to know, ;). PennGrade1 / Brad Penn it is :cheers:

Highbanked Hauler

In my sleds I run  Shell Rotella 15-40 , figure its good enough for the Cummins . :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 07, 2020, 11:08:42 AM
   In my sleds I run  Shell Rotella 15-40 , figure its good enough for the Cummins . :popcrn:

The diesel oil used to have high zince when gas oils dropped, but that was only for a year or so. Rotella is low zinc too.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Captain D on March 06, 2020, 07:48:31 PM
Sounds good - Thank you gents; that's all I needed to know, ;). PennGrade1 / Brad Penn it is :cheers:

Good choice ! Been running BP racing semi-synthetic for years with great results in both flat tappet and roller cam builds.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs