News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Chrome (68 Charger Taillight Bezels)

Started by METROID, March 19, 2020, 12:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

METROID

Saw a couple of older threads on here for restoration of the taillight assemblies but I just need a quick fix to paint the black circle that goes on the bezel around each of the four taillights lenses. Everything I have tried flakes off and the only solution I have heard is to scuff it up before painting it. The factory was able to put paint on a mirror chrome surface that lasted for over 50 years so I'm sure someone on here has a better solution to repaint these.

Canadian1968

confused . You want to paint the black or try and duplicate chrome ?

The chrome on the OEM is not paint.

METROID

I want to make the bezels look like they did when they came from the factory. The stock portion of the bezel that was painted black has since faded and when I cleaned the bezels all the paint came off and now I can't seem to get any type of paint to stick.

Lennard

Tape off the chrome that you don't want painted.  Use scotchbrite to scuff the part you want black. Degrease the scuffed part, spray a coat of primer on it. Let it dry thoroughly, spray a couple of thin layers black paint over the primer. (Let the paint dry completely in between the layers) Done