News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Vacuum Canister - Help!

Started by Birdflu, March 21, 2020, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdflu

Hey guys!
Posting this for a friend who just joined the family! Pat, my buddy, was finally able to buy a Superbird! (Thanks Lon!) Anyway, I told him about DC and the Aero board, he's planning on joining. In the meantime, he's got a leaky vacuum canister. After ordering and receiving one from Classic Industries, he's wondering if anyone re-produces a more correct canister, or if there is another OE Mopar canister that can be used (like one form a Charger?). Anyway, I told him I'd post this up and see what the community has to say!

Mytur Binsdirti

That looks like a canister for a 1970 Road Runner air grabber hood.

B54SPEED

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 21, 2020, 03:51:06 PM
That looks like a canister for a 1970 Road Runner air grabber hood.

I agree.
Is he sure they shipped the right one

birdsandbees

Grab a can of Heinz 57 Tomato Juice, empty the can while making some Cesar' and then transfer his fittings/mounts over to the new can and paint black.. install.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Sgt Superbird

Exactly what birdsandbees said. That is how we did the can on my previous bird. Worked and looked perfect. It was years ago, but I remember it was a little bit of a trick transferring the fitting, but we did it.

Sgt Superbird

And, if he decides to go the repop way (if he finds a "correct" one), don't let your friend toss the original one, because someone will want it.  :yesnod:

graybo

Don't junk that one just yet!  The Heinz can is a great idea also, but, blast that thing and I think you will find pin holes in the bottom near the attachment brackets.  You can braze these pin holes and smooth the braze for a permanent fix.  Clean it up and see what you got to work with.  Let me know if you need any help. Most young folk aren't gonna know what braze is, but it works for this application.    :2thumbs:

Birdflu

Thanks for the input guys! I'm anticipating Pat will stumble on this thread and maybe chime in??  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

You should be able to locate one easily enough.. Same thing as a 68-69 Charger...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

FJ5WING

Unfortunately I don't recall the vendor but there was only one company reproducing that can
and it was the 68 version which is incorrect as far as details but exact in dimensions!

A quick search reveal Vans carries them but I purchased mine from Charger Specialties.
wingless now, but still around.

Dragon Slayer

I am really interest how you transferred the fitting as it is internally peen on to one end of the can.  The fitting is a cast pot metal, with gasket, baffle.  Did you epoxy it on?

I have 2 charger cans, and one air grabber.  The air grabber was badly holed so I dissected it to see how it worked.

I don't have pictures, but can generate them.  What could be done if you had access to a canning machine.  Is you could thread the exterior piece that mounts to the can.  Insert a brass screw with a through hole to mount to the lid.  At that point a canner could attach that lid to a new correct looking can.  Bracket can be moved over with care.  Paint black and you have a new can with original fitting.

Or if appearance not important, and the lid with fitting is not holed.  You can smoothly cut it out. Braze, silver solder that lid to a new can like a Heinz tomato juice can that has a center drilled hole.  Basically double lid with the silver solder around the edge.  Or if your can just has some rust holes, you could then seal with epoxy from inside the can, then reattach lid.  Certainly will work, but would not look correct when inspected closely.

Sgt Superbird

I really wish I could remember the details of removing the fitting. It was in the mid '90s. I remember we opened the can up, and saw what you saw. I do remember the finished product had a non-perfectly finished top, so I'm going to say it was brazed. It actually looked pretty good and held a vacuum.

If you did have the means to have the canning machine to crimp the lid on, that would be the way to go. I'm assuming, from the installation of the fitting, they must have done it in that similar manner. Again, it was so many years ago, and maybe I shouldn't have commented.  :shruggy:

Sgt Superbird

I looked through my old photos, and, unfortunately, I only have a picture of it installed, showing the end we aren't talking about...sorry!

birdsandbees

If it's just a few pin holes that you find after a light blast. JB weld for metal.. mix up a batch and smooth it over the offending area. Scuff, paint and nobody will know the difference, especially when it's hidden under the battery tray. If JB over a crack in my stainless lift tank for my airplane at camp can withstand pressure, it'll surely hold vacuum.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

DoubleDlover

I just grab the cans from cadillacs and some fords. They have many different size ones. some are exactly the same size as the charger bird ones. Yes its SLIGHTLY different in apperance. Like ribs and the fitting. but. You pop the bracket off the old one and on that one. Plug the line in and thats it. If someone tries to put there head in there with a mirror and look to see if its correct to give you a hard time just punch them in the face...

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Birdflu on March 21, 2020, 02:53:59 PM
Hey guys!
Posting this for a friend who just joined the family! Pat, my buddy, was finally able to buy a Superbird! (Thanks Lon!) Anyway, I told him about DC and the Aero board, he's planning on joining. In the meantime, he's got a leaky vacuum canister. After ordering and receiving one from Classic Industries, he's wondering if anyone re-produces a more correct canister, or if there is another OE Mopar canister that can be used (like one form a Charger?). Anyway, I told him I'd post this up and see what the community has to say!

They sent you the wrong canister, or the wrong one was ordered.... the repro is the multi ribbed can, and is correct for a Superbird, I know you have the wide ribbed can which may be the original? but the wide ribbed can is usually found in Chargers/C500 (unused) and Daytona's

While not 100% OEM, it's close enough...

Mike

benny70hemibird

A can from a 1992-1995 Ford F-150 pickup looks just like it. Grab one.