News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kc-20 final wash from house of kolor

Started by AmadeusCharger500, March 22, 2020, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I am half way through "custom painting made easy" video by john krosnoski. Simultaneously I'm in the midst of final stages of blocking my project, 73 hemi charger. Lots of great tips in the video. But now realize I might be screwing up some things. One of those is how I clean between fillers-guide-primer. He says, do Not use wax and grease remover between guide coats and primer surfaces, but instead use kc-20 final wash. Ok, so  have I screwed up? Will this show in the final paint?
Also looked up getting kc-20, and it's $50 per gallon. WHAT!

AKcharger

Is the remover you used a solvent? if so it should "off-gas" I'd just let it sit for a few days

Highbanked Hauler

Pre-wash by design is slow to evaporate so it soaks into tar,wax and whatever else. Final wash is to take off sanding sludge,fingerprints and dust so it needs to flash rapidly. At the end of my painting we were using something that was mostly alcohol and water which works but needs to evaporate.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

AmadeusCharger500

Yes the remover I used is called Pre-Clean Solvent based, 100% virgin solvents. So I am out today placing guide coat on to a small area on the hood. After blocking I find some low spots that need more filler or skim coat. I would normally air hose the surface area and then wipe with the pre-clean. It seems to work just fine but what he said in the video made me 2nd guess my procedure.