News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sad News: Larry Rathgeb 1930-2020

Started by Aero426, March 22, 2020, 10:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

I am sad to report the passing of Chrysler stock car legend and Mopar Hall of Fame inductee Larry Rathgeb this afternoon. After celebrating his 90th birthday in February, Larry contracted the Coronavirus a week ago and was hospitalized on Wednesday.

Larry was involved with the race program from the early 1960's until Chrysler's withdrawal from racing in 1978. He was the crew chief on the #88 Daytona and was responsible for chassis structure and suspension for Mopar circle track cars. He became Chrysler's man at the race track serving as a liason between teams and the company. In 1972, he became responsible for all Mopar stock car programs and was the creator of the Chrysler Kit Car. After Chrysler's withdrawal from racing, Larry remained with Chrysler until his retirement in 1987.

Larry continued his career working with Petty Enterprises into the early 1990's. He later became a consultant for Chrysler on the Gen 1 Dodge Viper program working on the suspension.

Larry was an avid sportsman and an expert clay target shooter. More than a guy with a slide rule, Larry was a trained mechanic from a young age and an Army veteran, serving as a shop foreman on General Douglas Macarthur's motor pool in Tokyo just after WW2. Larry loved his country and a portrait of Gen. MacArthur still hangs in his office at the family home.

Larry was a friend to the winged car community making multiple appearances at events beginning in 1976 through last October in Alabama. Larry was a personal friend and I am deeply saddened by his death and the circumstances surrounding it.

Larry's wife has also contracted the virus and she remains hospitalized. Please keep her in your prayers.

birdsandbees

So sorry to hear this Doug and many think this virus is a "not me" issue. God speed to Larry and hopefully his wife can beat it.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Aero426

Larry and the famous #88.   He is at the window talking to Baker.

Ghoste

A loss to our automotive heritage without question.

hemi68charger

:angel:

Thanks for the update Doug... It was always enjoyable to listen to him speak at past events... He was instrumental in getting a Dodge with wings, now he has a set of his own..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Some of the guys responsible for Chrysler's wing car program.
Photo taken in 2001 when the wing clubs had a meet coinciding with the CEMA club at the WPC Museum. 

Larry was a great guy.  I was lucky to have met him at work in 1985, when he was the Program Manager for
the Dakota truck.     He'll be missed.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Birdflu

Quote from: birdsandbees on March 22, 2020, 10:14:59 PM
So sorry to hear this Doug and many think this virus is a "not me" issue. God speed to Larry and hopefully his wife can beat it.

My sentiments EXACTLY!  :angel:

chargervert

moparchris

So sorry to hear this.  I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Rahtgeb at Talladega many years ago.  He was a super nice gentleman.  I pray for his wife and condolences go out to his friends and family.

Mopar John

Thanks Doug for posting the news about Larry. RIP!
This is the first person to die from the virus that I had a connection to.
MJ

70Sbird

Quote from: Mopar John on March 23, 2020, 03:19:09 PM
Thanks Doug for posting the news about Larry. RIP!
This is the first person to die from the virus that I had a connection to.
MJ

Me as well, I had a chance to talk to him for a while back at one of the reunions in Talladega either in 2004 or 2009, he was a real asset to our hobby and will be missed!

Scott Faulkner

Stevetona

Sad to hear....This virus has turned my life upside down the past month and my career is now in jeopardy but this is the first time I can a name I recognize has succumbed to it.  :'(

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Dave Kanofsky

Thanks for letting us know, such a loss for the Aero community.

He was such a great and positive guy.

Prayers for his family.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mike DC

odcics2

I bought this original hand painted HM sign from Larry in the early 2000s.
They both signed it on the back.

When Ford left Nascar at the end of 1970, Larry grabbed the sign, left behind from Charlie's
office at Daytona Speedway, when they were testing Petty's 1971 Road Runner in November, 70.

Larry and Charlie had the utmost respect for each other...
Great friends off the track, fierce competitors on the track!

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on March 25, 2020, 10:20:59 AM

When Ford left Nascar at the end of 1970, Larry grabbed the sign, left behind from Charlie's
office at Daytona Speedway, when they were testing Petty's 1971 Road Runner in November, 70.

Spoke to Charlie by email earlier today.   He's doing good at 86.    Did you know that he and Larry once shared a hotel room together?

ae8i

QuoteDid you know that he and Larry once shared a hotel room together?

Was that part of the deal when Petty joined Ford in 1969? ;)

I first met Larry in 1988.  He was always so gracious to me and others when sharing his time and vast knowledge with us. His legacy as both a fine person and a racing legend is rock solid.

RIP Larry, yours was a life well lived.

Aero426

Quote from: ae8i on March 25, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
QuoteDid you know that he and Larry once shared a hotel room together?

Was that part of the deal when Petty joined Ford in 1969?

I first met Larry in 1988.  He was always so gracious to me and others with his vast knowledge and his time. His legacy as both a fine person and a racing legend are rock solid.

RIP Larry, yours was a life well lived.

Actually, it was at one of the reunions,  maybe 2004,  where we had them stay at the same place in Birmingham to fly out the next day.   

The Detroit meet in 2001 with Larry and Charlie speaking to us at the same table is to me, the high water mark.     That and George Wallace talking until 2 in the morning.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on March 25, 2020, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on March 25, 2020, 10:20:59 AM

Spoke to Charlie by email earlier today.   He's doing good at 86.    Did you know that he and Larry once shared a hotel room together?

Good news!

Mopar John

As our country approached the grim mile stone of 100,000 deaths from the Corona virus
I thought there might be more reflection on our loss.
Last night as we watched a short segment about this on ABC world news they had
a picture back ground with some of the people that have lost their lives.
During this they featured short stories on just a few and Larry's was one of them.
They even included a very short clip of the 88 Daytona's record run with Larry and Buddy.
RIP Larry and Buddy!
MJ

ae8i

QuoteDuring this they featured short stories on just a few and Larry's was one of them.

The portion about Larry begins at 2:50 into the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72495fQRvo

odcics2