News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody use a locking gas cap on their Charger ?

Started by 70 sublime, March 24, 2020, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

With the locking gas caps that are listed in the for sale section got me thinking ( ouch that hurts my head )

Does anyone here use one on their car that locks inside the filler neck under their pop cap lid ?

At one time I had a bunch of parts with a project car and it came with the lock in the filler neck but I never had a key for it   :'(
So when I sold that pile of junk it went with it

With the way the gas cap lid pops open is such a cool thing it would be very tempting just to push the button as someone walked by just to see it open but I can not see anyone dropping something down the hole unless they really had it out for you

Most of you guys probably do not let your car out of your sight when you are out and about but I tend to drive mine and park it to go for dinner or a movie ( well have not gone to the movies yet but is part of the plan )
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mr. hemi

I have used an OEM one on my R/T for nearly 40 years.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

b5blue

kent

I have my original one and I will be using it when the time comes. Since I have it. Right?
Kent

Wasco

What is the opinion of the reproductions sold by Laysons?  About $100 shipped.  Seems like a good deal, especially since I've heard the OEM ones have longevity issues?

http://www.laysons.com/catalog.cfm?action=viewcart&message=Shopping%20Cart%20Updated&nocache=69910408_310&CFID=4477101&CFTOKEN=69910408

bull

I bought one of the Layson's caps in 2014 and it has always worked great. The only complaint is that the key doesn't look original, unless they've changed it.

Wasco

Quote from: bull on March 24, 2020, 01:48:41 PM
I bought one of the Layson's caps in 2014 and it has always worked great. The only complaint is that the key doesn't look original, unless they've changed it.

Thanks!  Great car, by the way.  I'm planning to convert my '68 383 to a four speed, once I get another project car out of my garage.  I'm in Washington state - how are things in Oregon?

TexasGeneral

kab69440

Still have one on my car from the early 90s when the stash of NOS originals was offered for $25@. Needs nothing but the occasional squirt of graphite powder.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

70 sublime

Well I have saved the link for the locking gas cap so I can order one if I need to  :2thumbs:

myk

My car came with one, so I use it.  Besides, I don't like the idea of the flip up gas cap being the only thing that keeps anything other than gas from going in to the tank...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Quote from: Wasco on March 24, 2020, 01:44:04 PM
What is the opinion of the reproductions sold by Laysons?  About $100 shipped.  Seems like a good deal, especially since I've heard the OEM ones have longevity issues?

I had always heard the opposite, that the repro ones had fitment issues?

CDN72SE

Have never used one, don't think anyone would know it's behind my license plate, lol.
1972 Charger SE

green69rt

I had one on my old Charger and have one for my current Charger.  I've always been paranoid about folks dropping stuff in the gas tank.

c00nhunterjoe

I have a fuel cell in the trunk. The flip cap and tube are still in tact, just nothing under the car is there anymore. Every fall i check and pull 5-6 cigarette butts out of the tube....

darbgnik

I'm using the seemingly factory one mine came with.

To be honest I never much thought about the possibility it was an extra, and not needed.....  :scratchchin:
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

6pkrtse

I have had one on my red Charger that came with almost 30 years ago and it that still works and locks as needed.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

jefferson

Were these optional from the factory ?
Anyone have a scan of the order form.  Always thought these were aftermarket

ht4spd307

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 25, 2020, 02:03:17 PM
I have a fuel cell in the trunk. The flip cap and tube are still in tact, just nothing under the car is there anymore. Every fall i check and pull 5-6 cigarette butts out of the tube....
Wow you need new friends

6970Charger

From the 1970 Data Book. Sorry poor picture...Had mine since early 1990s with no problems.
XS29U0G - Sold after 32 years - 2021
LS27H9B
XS29J9B

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use one.  Also added the locking cap screws to prevent theft....  Hey I live in NYC...gotta lock shit up!   LOL

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Quote from: jefferson on March 29, 2020, 02:37:35 AM
Were these optional from the factory ?
Anyone have a scan of the order form.  Always thought these were aftermarket

Definitely factory.

375instroke

I totally forgot I bought one of these from a guy parting out a '68 Barracuda when I could only afford Darts, in anticipation of getting a Charger some day.  Looks like I have something to do now during the covid lockup, looking for where it may be hiding.  Hope the key's in it.

70 sublime

I ended up buying one from Layson so will see what it looks like when it gets here
Sounds like they did not have it in stock but were getting 30 of them shipped in air freight so they could have them
This virus thing was messing up their shipping container shipments

70 sublime

It seems like a lot of Chargers have these locks in the fuel filler tube

What do you guys do with the locks when you take them out to pump in the gas ?
Set them on the trunk lid ?
Set them on top of the gas pump ?
Set them on the ground ??

Think If I put it any place other than right in front of my nose on the trunk lid I might forget it
My paint is not too fancy yet but some day it will be better and not sure I would want to set it on the car