News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel

Started by john108, March 24, 2020, 02:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Charger
Having trouble pulling the steering wheel.
I don't want to break it!

Horn Ring Off.
Center Nut off steering wheel.
Make shift wheel puller with metal plate across center stud and a bolt in each of the two (2) threaded holes in the steering wheel.
Tightening nuts on face of metal plate trying to pull steering wheel towards me.
It wont budge.
I am cautious as I don't want to break it.

Am I missing some catch some place??
Tried some PB blaster and a rubber mallet.

b5blue

Go to Advance Auto and get the loaner wheel puller to use. You don't want to damage anything!  Tighten up and tap with brass hammer. I liked that puller so much I kept it and let them keep the deposit. (Purchase price.)  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

And when you have the actual puller, the wheel is sometimes on there pretty tight.  You will start to turn the center bolt to pull it and it seems like nothing happens until all of a sudden it sort of "pops" free.

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2020, 05:23:48 AM
And when you have the actual puller, the wheel is sometimes on there pretty tight.  You will start to turn the center bolt to pull it and it seems like nothing happens until all of a sudden it sort of "pops" free.

Yes, agree.  I haven't pulled that many but when they have been on a long time they will "sticK".  Sometimes it helps to give the center hub a tap with a hammer.  Be really careful, put the but back on to protect the threads and tap, don't pound hard.  The splines on the wheel and the matching splines on the column have a :"index" spline that need to match up when putting it together.  Picture of the shaft splines attached and you can see the "index" on the side.

Edit, after some more thought, forget the hammer.  Too many things to go wrong if you get get too enthusiastic with the pounding.  But, before applying the puller, put the center nut back on the hub.

john108

Thank You for every comment.  Combined, they gave me confidence that I can make it work.
Mitch, from your picture I was able to see how close the spline was. 
I lightly and intermittently sprayed PB Blaster around the center bolt.
I used my kludge wheel puller, and the wheel popped off, as stated above.
Thank you again,
John

green69rt

Quote from: john108 on March 25, 2020, 02:29:27 PM
Thank You for every comment.  Combined, they gave me confidence that I can make it work.
Mitch, from your picture I was able to see how close the spline was. 
I lightly and intermittently sprayed PB Blaster around the center bolt.
I used my kludge wheel puller, and the wheel popped off, as stated above.
Thank you again,
John

If you think you might be doing anything like this in the future, think about getting a universal puller.  Pretty cheap at places like Harbor Freight.  The universal ones can be used for steering wheels, harmonic dampers, and other things.

john108

Mitch, you are right.
I wanted to remove the wheel and had no puller, so I made one.
Since the virus, I haven't driven any place in over 2 weeks.
Old buzzards like me have to be cautious.