News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can i install 440 with transmission mount and driveshaft connected

Started by Back N Black, March 26, 2020, 03:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Do I have to remove the driveshaft and the trans mount in order to install the engine or is there enough wiggle room with everything connected.

c00nhunterjoe

Oddly worded question, if the question is: can i remove/install a 440 with the transmission still in the car- yes.
If the question is: can i install the 440 with trans, mount, and driveshaft- ive never tried.

Canadian1968

by the sounds of it. The engine is out and then transmission and driveshaft are all install ? Just take the nut off the tranmission mount and go from there . The UV joint will give you more than enough play.

you will probably have to jack the tranny up a bit to get the bell housing lined up.... Hence roving the mount nut

Charger_Dart

I did just that with my Road Runner a couple of months ago. It was a 727 so it went together with a little persuasion and just enough movement in everything. I don't see how you could do it with a 4 speed though.
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

green69rt

All sorts of thing to consider.  I just installed my engine with the tranny in but no drive shaft, but if you have your drive shaft installed there should be plenty of movement available .  I had the transmission mount removed and the tranny setting on blocks with a jack available to raise, lower and tilt it as needed.  Do you have headers?  If so then they need to be set in place but not bolted to the block.   Generally the motor mounts need to be bolted to the block.

You need to mark the flex plate and torque converter to make sure they line up right.  The flex plate bolts to the torque converter go in only one way!  The FSM will tell you about this.  This is really important!

Do not use the transmission to engine block bolts to pull the bell housing up to the block.   If you mess this up you could end up stripping the treads in the block, cracking the tranny case or bending the bolts.  Spend the extra time getting everything lined up before starting the bolts.

Go slow, you can really mess things up in the engine compartment if you rush.  Sometimes I moved my engine 1/4 inch and then checked stuff.

Good luck.

Dano 1

When I put my 440 in I dropped just the engine in then mated the transmission up from underneath. I was concerned about having enough height/angle on the engine hoist to safely navigate the engine & trans together. Depending on your header setup i would strongly advise against putting the engine in with headers, get the trans and everything bolted up then lift the engine a few inches and snake the headers down into place. I couldn't fit the trans in between the headers and had to shuffle things around a bit to get it all to fit.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Back N Black