News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona - Superbird 440 & 426 Original Block Drain Plugs?

Started by Mopar John, March 28, 2020, 03:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Today I was out in the shop going through my hardware bins and I came across a drawer with some block drain plugs.
Over the years I have removed these from my race engines and installed drain valves to make draining the block for the winter easier.
The more I looked at these the more I wondered about them.
I have attached a picture of what looks like 4 originals.
2 of them have what looks like a flattened "S".
Another has an "S" but it's more 3D looking.
The last one has a small circle in the center that looks pourous?
None of them look like they were painted either!
So for those original engine guys I would like for you to look at your drain plugs when you get a chance and report back.
Thanks!

Mytur Binsdirti

I know it's a different year, but the original plugs in my survivor 68 Charger are flat on top.

Mopar John

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 29, 2020, 10:13:51 AM
I know it's a different year, but the original plugs in my survivor 68 Charger are flat on top.
Mark,
Thanks for the reply!
Since your 68 is a survivor are the drain plugs painted with the block or bare steel from being installed later?
Thanks! John

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mopar John on March 30, 2020, 09:51:56 AM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on March 29, 2020, 10:13:51 AM
Mark,
Thanks for the reply!
Since your 68 is a survivor are the drain plugs painted with the block or bare steel from being installed later?
Thanks! John

They have been taken out and the threads wrapped with teflon tape. They are unpainted. Shoot me a pm with your email address & I'll send you a couple pictures.

mopar4ya

I pulled my original untouched 440 from my Superbird back in June, and for what its worth it had square headed drain plugs. I would assume they were original. Unpainted from what I can tell from the pictures I have in front of me.

Mopar John

Quote from: mopar4ya on March 30, 2020, 06:36:59 PM
I pulled my original untouched 440 from my Superbird back in June, and for what its worth it had square headed drain plugs. I would assume they were original. Unpainted from what I can tell from the pictures I have in front of me.
mopar4ya,
Thanks for your reply!
When you get a chance could you post those pictures here?
MJ

62 Max

Same here !

mopar4ya

Maybe some others can confirm my findings, like Bill !

mopar4ya

Sorry for the bad pictures. Haven't figured out how to properly compress he photos from my phone  :shruggy: Hope these help.

Mopar John

mopar4ya,
Thanks for the pictures of your original Superbird engine block and drain plugs!
That is exactly what I was looking for.
Now we need to see a few more originals like yours.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

So after seeing the possibility of square ended plugs I went back out to that hardware drawer in the shop.
I found a pair of square ended plugs that have an "I" stamped on them and no signs of paint!
I also found a single NOS plug with that familiar "S" stamped on it?
MJ

maxwellwedge

I knew all this at some point....Lol.
My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
He has 100's of reference photos as to the shape, which one or if both were painted or unpainted etc.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 02, 2020, 09:46:23 AM
My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
He has 100's of reference photos as to the shape, which one or if both were painted or unpainted etc.
Jim,
Thanks for your reply as always.
I was hoping for a close up shot of the ones on your low mileage and original Superbird.
As far as Frank goes I am not a customer of his and don't want to take up his time asking questions.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 62 Max on March 30, 2020, 11:30:41 PM

Same here !
62 Max,
Thanks for your reply!
If you get a chance could you take a picture of yours?
I would be interested in any markings that would be cast or stamped into the ends.
MJ

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on April 02, 2020, 11:38:36 AM
My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
Jim,
I was hoping for a close up shot of the ones on your low mileage and original Superbird.
As far as Frank goes I am not a customer of his and don't want to take up his time asking questions.
MJ

I sold the car a few months ago and can't find any pictures of that area. I asked Frank and will let you know.
Cheers,
Jim

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 03, 2020, 08:44:34 AM
My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
Jim,
MJ

I sold the car a few months ago and can't find any pictures of that area. I asked Frank and will let you know.
Cheers,
Jim
selling off all my inheritence   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
Jim,
MJ

Cheers,
Jim

440 - Square, unpainted

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on April 16, 2020, 12:03:31 PM
My opinion?
Just ask Frank Badalson.
Jim,
MJ

Cheers,
Jim

440 - Square, unpainted
Thanks Jim!

Mopar John

Found this over on the Charger Discussion forum.
This was in the pictures of Kern Dogs $5,000.00 1970 383 Charger!
Too bad it's got cob webs all over it and you can't see the details?
MJ