News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C to non-A/C conversion

Started by rikubot, March 29, 2020, 09:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

I'm converting my car from an A/C car to non-A/C. I'm looking to save a little weight and a little money by not having to rebuild the box. Has anyone posted their process of doing this? I don't want to cut up the firewall in case I change my mind later on down the road so I was planning on making a block-off plate for the large blower motor hole. I've got the dash side of it figured out, converted the side vents to bezels, got the pad without the hole in it, got the controls.
Any info is greatly appreciated!

- Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

CDN72SE

Your topic caught my attention as it's similar to my decision making process on my heater box.
Good luck with the switch.
1972 Charger SE

Nacho-RT74

Not sure on 2nd gens, but usually try to fit a heater box into an AC car is not just about block off the AC blower hole, because the heater blower fits in another place, so will require to open the hole for the blower to heater box anyway.

unless 2nd gens blowers are internal on heater cars? dunno. But then... the heater outlets at firewall ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rikubot

I've done a little looking online to see if the third gens are similar to the second gens. If I remember correctly, a friend of mine had done it on his '68 roadrunner and I think it fit okay except for the mounting points. This guy didn't even have a proper block off plate, but the heater box was installed.
'69 Charger, 440/727

WHITE AND RED 69

Easier method is to go with a vintage air unit and leave the a/c ports capped. You can keep all the original a/c vents usable, comes with block off plates, brackets are a direct fit, and has new controls. That way if you decide to run a/c later all you have to do is run the lines.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

I mounted a heater from Classic Auto Air to a flat plate that blocked off and let me pass heater lines through existing holes on my 70. :2thumbs:

rikubot

I've looked into those aftermarket systems and they are really neat. But they are quite a ways out of my budget. A friend of mine has a box for me in decent shape, but probably needs gone through and rebuilt. I'm hoping to make that work with My car.
'69 Charger, 440/727

AKcharger

lol, I'm in the process of Non-A/C to AC!

rikubot

I don't envy you! There's a lot of parts and they want a lot for the cores and whatnot. How's that going for you? What option are you going with?
'69 Charger, 440/727

green69rt

Quote from: rikubot on April 01, 2020, 09:49:32 AM
I've looked into those aftermarket systems and they are really neat. But they are quite a ways out of my budget. A friend of mine has a box for me in decent shape, but probably needs gone through and rebuilt. I'm hoping to make that work with My car.

Save everything you take off!  That center dash pad is worth some coin if in good condition.

AKcharger

Quote from: rikubot on April 08, 2020, 08:06:51 PM
I don't envy you! There's a lot of parts and they want a lot for the cores and whatnot. How's that going for you? What option are you going with?

yup, as with everything it's more work than anticipated.
- Went with a Classic Auto Air universal set up
- I am using all the factory dash components so it will look like a factory job
- its a a shop now for the plumbing installation but had I known I'd be sitting home for a month I would have finished it on my own