News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Javits Center (NYC) 5 Years Ago....Now a Covid 19 Hospital

Started by chargerperson, April 05, 2020, 03:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerperson

What a difference 5 years makes

5 years ago today the NY auto show was underway now the building is a 2,500 person Coronavirus hotel.

Picture of my car from the show.  Restoration shop had the car at the show to demonstrate their work.

5wndwcpe

chargerperson

Mytur Binsdirti

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

chargerperson

AKcharger

So is it full? I keep hearing of all the cases and deaths but haven't heard about hospitals overflowing???

chargerperson

So far, per the NY governor, no one has been denied care due to lack of resources at NY area hospitals.  There are some very grim news stories though and pictures/videos of temporary morgue tractor trailers being filled up.  I do have first hand observations from someone at NYC hospital and it is a very challenging situation.  The Javitz center though does not have many patients yet (going off news stories - cannot verify). 

myk

Quote from: AKcharger on April 06, 2020, 02:04:03 PM
So is it full? I keep hearing of all the cases and deaths but haven't heard about hospitals overflowing???

You have people saying that the entire thing is a hoax, perpetuated by the Illuminati to control the population, destabilize the economy and affect the next POTUS election, and then you have people saying that everyone is infected, it's just a matter of time before we all succumb to the virus, the streets are filling with corpses.  I don't know what to believe or think anymore.  How is it possible that with all of our technology we can't get reliable information?  This puzzles me.

Nice car, btw OP.  It's cars like yours that sometimes make me think I should've gotten a 1st gen Charger instead of a 2nd Gen...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

QuoteYou have people saying that the entire thing is a hoax, perpetuated by the Illuminati to control the population, destabilize the economy and affect the next POTUS election, and then you have people saying that everyone is infected, it's just a matter of time before we all succumb to the virus, the streets are filling with corpses.  I don't know what to believe or think anymore.  

It's hard to know.  

Both extreme ends of the predictions are probably wrong.  Like everything else it has become politicized and that clouds up the picture.      

QuoteHow is it possible that with all of our technology we can't get reliable information?  This puzzles me.

Simple.  We've never done adequate testing for the virus.  

In February the US govt elected to come up with our own test rather than use the WHO one that most countries were using.  Our CDC flubbed the first attempt at a test and our leaders generally didn't make virus preparation a priority.  A month later we still weren't doing very much testing in proportion to the size of our country.  

IMO it's remarkable that California hasn't had much 'Rona virus yet.  They should have gotten it before anyone else, with all the Chinese tourism there.  The Cali outbreak has been "about to blow up huge this week" for at least 3 weeks now and it still hasn't.  There are factors like the lack of public transportation and wide open spaces, but still.  IMO there's something to learn here.  

I've heard a lot of people say the "flu" that passed through Cali over the winter was really nasty.  Some people wonder if that was really the Rona virus.  The theory goes that the virus already made one pass through the state and some 'herd immunity' got started.  Along with that theory, it's possible that the virus had a less dangerous 1st wave, and the current one hitting NYC is a worse one.  That happens with viruses sometimes.  (IIRC it happened with the 1918 flu.  The 2nd wave was worse than the 1st.)      

Scientists are just now (this week) nailing down an antibody test for the virus.  Once we get some widespread testing and info from that, we should know a lot more (assuming US leaders have enough sense to put the resources into it).  That will identify everyone who has already had the virus.  That means with or w/o symptoms, and even if they've already recovered from it.  We may find out this virus has been bouncing around months longer than we thought.  That would suggest it's less dangerous than we thought.   

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 07, 2020, 03:03:27 AM
QuoteYou have people saying that the entire thing is a hoax, perpetuated by the Illuminati to control the population, destabilize the economy and affect the next POTUS election, and then you have people saying that everyone is infected, it's just a matter of time before we all succumb to the virus, the streets are filling with corpses.  I don't know what to believe or think anymore.  

It's hard to know.  

Both extreme ends of the predictions are probably wrong.  Like everything else it has become politicized and that clouds up the picture.      

QuoteHow is it possible that with all of our technology we can't get reliable information?  This puzzles me.

Simple.  We've never done adequate testing for the virus.  

In February the US govt elected to come up with our own test rather than use the WHO one that most countries were using.  Our CDC flubbed the first attempt at a test and our leaders generally didn't make virus preparation a priority.  A month later we still weren't doing very much testing in proportion to the size of our country.  

IMO it's remarkable that California hasn't had much 'Rona virus yet.  They should have gotten it before anyone else, with all the Chinese tourism there.  The Cali outbreak has been "about to blow up huge this week" for at least 3 weeks now and it still hasn't.  There are factors like the lack of public transportation and wide open spaces, but still.  IMO there's something to learn here.  

I've heard a lot of people say the "flu" that passed through Cali over the winter was really nasty.  Some people wonder if that was really the Rona virus.  The theory goes that the virus already made one pass through the state and some 'herd immunity' got started.  Along with that theory, it's possible that the virus had a less dangerous 1st wave, and the current one hitting NYC is a worse one.  That happens with viruses sometimes.  (IIRC it happened with the 1918 flu.  The 2nd wave was worse than the 1st.)      

Scientists are just now (this week) nailing down an antibody test for the virus.  Once we get some widespread testing and info from that, we should know a lot more (assuming US leaders have enough sense to put the resources into it).  That will identify everyone who has already had the virus.  That means with or w/o symptoms, and even if they've already recovered from it.  We may find out this virus has been bouncing around months longer than we thought.  That would suggest it's less dangerous than we thought.   

Lotsa good points there.  I was pretty ill in November, too.  Maybe I'm a survivor...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

QuoteWell, the WHO can't be trusted as they are too cozy with the Chinese...

Somehow I doubt the WHO's test was designed to lie to America.

We could have used the WHO's test along with our own.  That would have helped cover our butt in case our first attempt at developing a test failed (like it did).  And we could have devoted a lot more resources into coming up with our test.  

The US govt's response to the virus was (and still is) inadequate.  There's no way around that.  

QuoteAnd most of the US media can't be trusted either...

QuoteAnd you can't believe what are so-called experts say either....

That's true, but the other sources you list are biased too.    

Mike DC

QuoteLotsa good points there.  I was pretty ill in November, too.  Maybe I'm a survivor...

Thanks.  

You could already be a 'Rona survivor.  We really don't know enough to say yet.  

I don't know what outcome to bet on.  But the last two weeks have been a lot less bad than they could have been.    

I mean, the infection & death counts keep going up, and that sounds terrible, and it makes big news . . . but they aren't going up as much as they were feared to.  Some of that is definitely due to the virus-fighting efforts.  Whether that's the whole story, I dunno.        

One thing is for sure - this economic lockdown will be called an over-reaction in hindsight.  I'm not saying whether it really is or not, but it will be remembered that way.  A correct response to a threat like this SHOULD look like an overreaction.  

Imagine if the govt had raised the security standards for airports before 9/11 happened.  We would think they were getting overprotective - because we never saw the outcome that was prevented.  

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: myk on April 07, 2020, 01:32:39 AM
it's just a matter of time before we all succumb to the virus, the streets are filling with corpses. 

Not because ppl is exactly "succumbing" due the virus, but because medical and funeral services are not being enough, but somehow is happening in Guayaquil Ecuador. Corpes are being left on the streets and burnt. There are not enough coffins and now cardboard coffins are being made. When they are not burnt they simply buried at any place available around.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 07, 2020, 04:39:38 AM

You agree that the US media and so-called experts can't be trusted, but you don't like the sources I listed because you say that they are biased against the sources that you say that you don't trust?   :shruggy:

Challenger340

I get a kick out of the insistence by many that it's 'just a few weeks' and then COVID-19 lock downs end, life returns to normal and everyone goes back to work ?

The stock market rally yesterday and today sure thinks so as well.

But for me, and it's just my opinion here, I don't think I need any 'sources' to know:
1.) this Virus is extremely virulent/contagious and easily spread
2.) it Kills some where between 2% and 4% of those who get it depending between 40 and 75 years old
3.) Herd immunity from COVID-19 is only achieved once everyone has either  a.) had it and recovered      or b.) been vaccinated against it which is still 12-18 months away
4.) Being as contagious as it is ? and I believe COVID-19 has proven itself highly contagious... all it takes is ONE.... and there is expected to be 'waves' of new outbreaks for a very long time as this Virus cycles around and around again until #3 above is achieved.

So I guess we either all get up... get going, and get back to work and unfortunately I guess just let the chips fall where they may ?
or,
get used to a really crippled economic reality for some time to come ?

Curious for me anyway.... is I just don't think you could design a better killer of prosperity to screw up a free country's entire 'open' Economy if you were trying to do just that ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mike DC

QuoteYou agree that the US media and so-called experts can't be trusted, but you don't like the sources I listed because you say that they are biased against the sources that you say that you don't trust?   shruggy

Exactly.

Mike DC

QuoteSo I guess we either all get up... get going, and get back to work and unfortunately I guess just let the chips fall where they may ?
or,
get used to a really crippled economic reality for some time to come ?

Curious for me anyway.... is I just don't think you could design a better killer of prosperity to screw up a free country's entire 'open' Economy if you were trying to do just that ?

We won't go on like this for another half-year.  Either our ruling class has to start giving the masses some actual money or else the economy will restart out of sheer need.  People may die from the virus but they will definitely die from no food & clothing & shelter. 

Either way this will probably force the healthcare issue to a head.  The health insurance industry will slap everyone with massive price increases next year. (Do you expect a health insurance company have spare money just lying around, ready to pay for a medical emergency?) 

chargerperson

Nice car, btw OP.  It's cars like yours that sometimes make me think I should've gotten a 1st gen Charger instead of a 2nd Gen...
[/quote]

MYK

Thanks.  That is funny, because I originally bought this car in 2000 because it was cheaper than a 2nd Gen and then proceeded to hire a shop to do a full restoration/resto mod 14 years later (i.e., more than spent anything I saved with the cheaper acquisition).  If I add a car it will be a 2nd Gen Charger.  

mel t

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 07, 2020, 04:39:38 AM

QuoteWell, the WHO can't be trusted as they are too cozy with the Chinese...

Somehow I doubt the WHO's test was designed to lie to America.

We could have used the WHO's test along with our own.  That would have helped cover our butt in case our first attempt at developing a test failed (like it did).  And we could have devoted a lot more resources into coming up with our test.  

The US govt's response to the virus was (and still is) inadequate.  There's no way around that.  

As someone who is clearly biased, it's fair to say that anything you say can't be trusted either.     :eyes:

Mike DC

QuoteAs someone who is clearly biased, it's fair to say that anything you say can't be trusted either.     eyes

Now you're catching on.   :nana:

----------------

Look, I'm glad the orange guy wasn't removed from office over the Russia bullshit.  And I'm glad he didn't invade more countries, which is more than I can say about the previous brown guy.

But the handling of this virus outbreak was bungled.  It's still being bungled now.  It's costing lives.  

I'm not trying to shift the topic to the orange guy.  I'm just trying to say, I don't lean as far & blindly in one political direction as you might think.  

AKcharger

You have people saying that the entire thing is a hoax, perpetuated by the Illuminati to control the population, destabilize the economy and affect the next POTUS election, a...

Just for the record, I'm not saying anything about hoax. I saw hospital ships, Javits center, hospitals in central park ect. and then...nothing?? just wondering about that

chargerperson

Quote from: AKcharger on April 08, 2020, 09:07:23 AM

You have people saying that the entire thing is a hoax, perpetuated by the Illuminati to control the population, destabilize the economy and affect the next POTUS election, a...

Just for the record, I'm not saying anything about hoax. I saw hospital ships, Javits center, hospitals in central park ect. and then...nothing?? just wondering about that

Death count is up in NY area or a few days in a row now which is certainly something especially to people who knew or lost someone close to them.
Number admitted to hospitals on a daily basis has been declining so deaths should start decrease in a few days.  Declining faster than originally modeled.