News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What does this tire wear mean?

Started by triple_green, April 05, 2020, 06:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

Quote from: 375instroke on April 10, 2020, 10:25:48 PM
How's the retirement?  You got out at the right time.  The pressure on the tire is maximum.  Car manufacturers always recommend lower than that maximum.  I see a lot in the 26psi to 28psi range.  That 275 BFG has a 2149 lb. rating at max psi.  Your Charger has a lot less weight than that on that tire.  Some charts show that size tire will work on a 7" rim, which was the biggest I could find for $6 at Pick a Part back in the day.  I had to drop the pressure down to 18psi, and was still wearing in the middle.  The black R/T has 15X8 with that tire, I'm running 22psi, and wearing in the center.  The front are 245/60-15, on a 15X7, at 35psi, and wear even.  I think it's more about weight, and load rating, than anything.  Wider rims do help, though.  The cordovan Charger, with 275/60-15 in back, on 15X10 rims, wears even with 35psi, but they look like balloons, but that could be because the front tires are so tiny.  The BFG is a hard tire.  Mine chunk up like yours, too.

What wheel is that on the green charger in the middle picture?

375instroke

On another thread, he says they are Magnum 500s with 4.25 backspace on the 15x7 front, and 4.5" on the 15x8 rear.