News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Future of Restoration Parts

Started by Ghoste, April 06, 2020, 05:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Between the declining interest in old car restoration with the next generation and the ongoing economy slowdown combined with the coming inflation and possibility of a "Made in China" backlash, what do you think will happen to restoration parts for our old musclecars? 

Lennard

Mike DC

QuoteThe quality can't get any worse

Were you trying to restore stuff in the 1990s?  It was much worse then.   

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 06, 2020, 04:27:49 PM

Were you trying to restore stuff in the 1990s?  It was much worse then.  

Year One catalog for Mopars back in 1994, when I first got my Charger, was a joke.

You guys really think there'll be a decline for these old things?  I will concede that there're about two generations of gearheads that don't care or have any interest in anything that's made before the year 2000...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kern Dog

Christ...ANOTHER doom and gloom thread?
The interest may decline some but it isn't likely to fall off a cliff anytime soon.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: myk on April 07, 2020, 03:28:06 AM

Year One catalog for Mopars back in 1994, when I first got my Charger, was a joke.

You should have seen the Year One "catalog" back in 1983 when Len first started rounding up a few of the cottage industry repro people to join forces by offering their products "under one roof", IIRC it consisted of 3 Xeroxed pages, it may even have been mimeographed pages?  :icon_smile_big:, been a few decades....

The 70's saw some NOS availability from the factory although it was sparse, and communication between the dealers was just about short of smoke signals back in the day, by about 77/79 the factory was dumping warehouse contents/tooling for scrap money...

Mike

Lennard

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 06, 2020, 04:27:49 PM

Were you trying to restore stuff in the 1990s?  It was much worse then.   

No, I'm not that old. ;)

myk

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 07, 2020, 08:07:23 AM
Quote from: myk on April 07, 2020, 03:28:06 AM

You should have seen the Year One "catalog" back in 1983 when Len first started rounding up a few of the cottage industry repro people to join forces by offering their products "under one roof", IIRC it consisted of 3 Xeroxed pages, it may even have been mimeographed pages?  :icon_smile_big:, been a few decades....

The 70's saw some NOS availability from the factory although it was sparse, and communication between the dealers was just about short of smoke signals back in the day, by about 77/79 the factory was dumping warehouse contents/tooling for scrap money...

Mike

Jesus, lol.  I would like to see that flyer, lol.  Yeah, back in 2010 or so, I was visiting a friend at a GM dealership and they were destroying parts for car lines that were canceled, such as the Holden/GTO, etc.  I was like..."dude, stash these parts and sell them later!"  To my friend and the staff, it was just junk.  If only those guys in the late 70's knew what was to come.

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 07, 2020, 07:56:30 AM
Christ...ANOTHER doom and gloom thread?

Lots of that going around, lately...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MoparMike68

Apparently the fast and furious franchise feature the charger and other classic mopars as the stars of the
show I think that will help spotlight these cars as disirable and bring more young people into the mix.  :Twocents:

Mike DC

The Fast & Furious car has bought the 2nd-gen Charger decades of future popularity.  It's done more for the car's future than anything else since the General Lee.