News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about pulling my vinyl top off

Started by 70 sublime, April 05, 2020, 09:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Thinking what I might find under my vinyl top if I take it off

This is an after market top that has been put on some time in the 70's
The top is too wide for the car as you can see the seams are on the curve part of the back window and not in the center where it is straight
My car has had the passenger 1/4 replaced and I am thinking they only went up as far as the edge of the vinyl would be to help hide the job

Sooner of later I want to change the back window ( Vega hatch ) for my Daytona project and this will have to come off

Is there going to be glue every where or just along the edges ?
Will the glue come off easily ?
Will this rip the vinyl into many little pieces when I try to pull it off ?
The roof should still have the factory paint as it was never a vinyl car to start with

Has anyone pulled one off and what did you find ? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CDN72SE

Here is mine on my 72, I did have glue everywhere, I wasn't trying to preserve the paint so the glue came off during soda blasting.
It did come off in pieces because it was pretty dry and brittle. I used a plastic putty knife to remove mine.
I did have the factory Y8 underneath.

1972 Charger SE

oldgold69

I took mine off of my 69 there can be a lot of glue my top was cracking at the seams the only place I had rust was at the font seams and the center of the rear window  I used lacquer thinner and a lot of rags to get the glue off  has a fair amount of paint under it so pretty rust free not a hard job if you take your time