News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LA Valve Covers on Magnum Heads - Any Leaks?

Started by TexasStroker, April 06, 2020, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

I'm working on my truck (2001 Ram) and always wanted to put a set of Mopar Performance Valve Covers on it.  They are all sold out and require going to ebay etc.  The current crop that look good cost a TON.  Edelbrock has some but they are $320+ for the set.

So, since LA valve covers are still easy to procure and priced reasonably that brings up the question.

I know the LA covers will fit the Magnum head, but with the 10 bolt Magnum vs 5 bolt LA it gives up some ground.  I'm assuming I'd run LA gaskets as well.  Has anyone done this and were there any issues with leaks?

Part of me hates it because I know one of the reasons Magnums went to 10 bolt covers is to eliminate leaks, but $320 seems absurd.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Yeah, $145 is about what they should cost.  Sadly, nothing on that page can be ordered...I tried to get them a couple months ago, lol.  I'd think $150 for a new set is fair, not a good deal, but fair.  I have no clue how Edelbrock can think they should charge $320.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, the experiment will fall short on my end.  I was able to score a set of MP Magnum valve covers for around $160. 

Still interested in seeing LA covers up top and if the leak can be stopped with a good set of covers, but luckily I won't have to guinea pig that one just yet.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Rolling_Thunder

I put factory 340 valve covers on the 5.9L i swapped into my old '73 Chally - never leaked but only ran it for a few hours before i sold it
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip