News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank Sensor Removal *** UPDATE

Started by john108, April 06, 2020, 05:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

How would you remove the fuel level unit from the tank.
A suggestion was to re-use it when replacing the tank.
I removed the lock ring but don't see an easy way to remove the unit without damaging it.
I can see a black seal but it is very hard.

Nacho-RT74

Just pull it out and will get loosen. Then will need to twist around it to sway the floater and tube bents from the opening. You'll figure it out.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Canadian1968

You just going to have to wiggle it.... You can try a small flat head to try and break the seal if its really stuck in there.
Then just pull it out.

john108

Okay, I will try tomorrow.

Can a replacement seal be found?
And what is it called?

dual fours

You can call it a ''sending unit to fuel tank seal''. Save your old lock ring. Some will say the new lock rings are thinner and will not make a good seal.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

john108

Finoke

Reusing the sending unit is fine if it reads properly. You may want to change out the sock that goes over the suction line and also check the float to make sure there is no liquid gasoline in side of it. If there is some liquid inside of the float, it is leaking and would also need to be changed. Which is easy to do.

Canadian1968

Yes you can get a new gasket. They usually come with a new lock ring as well, at least the one i bought last year from Napa did.

john108

I tested the resistances of the original sender.  It was totally Bad, no variation with travel.
So, I bought a new one from Summit.
The resistances tested good.  8 ohms to 75 ohms.

Problem installing. 
It appears that the low point of the sender touches the bottom of the tank before the flange lays flat on the seal.
I am not sure how and where to tweek the tube to raise the the lowest point about 1/8, I think, of an inch up.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: john108 on April 11, 2020, 09:09:39 PM
I tested the resistances of the original sender.  It was totally Bad, no variation with travel.
So, I bought a new one from Summit.
The resistances tested good.  8 ohms to 75 ohms.

Problem installing. 
It appears that the low point of the sender touches the bottom of the tank before the flange lays flat on the seal.
I am not sure how and where to tweek the tube to raise the the lowest point about 1/8, I think, of an inch up.

You want it to be as low as possible, like an oil pickup.  See if you can push on it a tiny bit to get it in place.  The ohm spec is close to the FSM spec, 73 ohm empty and 9.6 ohm full.  The linearity will likely be off, as noted lots of times.
Mopar forever!

70 sublime

You want it to be as low as possible, like an oil pickup.  See if you can push on it a tiny bit to get it in place.  The ohm spec is close to the FSM spec, 73 ohm empty and 9.6 ohm full.  The linearity will likely be off, as noted lots of times.

Are you sure you have your resistance the proper way ?
I always thought the more ohm would make the gas gauge move over to Full mark
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

birdsandbees

Bronzedodge is correct. If you want to calibrate your gauge you put a 10ohm resistor between ground and the gauges input lug and then tweek the gauge mechanism to show FULL.  73 empty. Think of the gauge as a volt meter.. no resistance gives the meter a full sweep, resistance in the line lowers the voltage = less sweep.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

misty440

Hey guys, I am checking my fuel gauge as well and hopefully will not need a new one. So is Summit the best sending unit to get? I have read multiple posts that all lead to the same ending that all sending units are not accurate. I could not find a sticky or write up to solve this issue. I did find someone say to remove the old resistance box and install on the new unit. What is the reason the original units fail? Is it not caused by this resistance box if the readings from the sending unit are not accurate? Also, I do not understand what it means to have a linear resistance versus a nonlinear or not sure what it was called and how this will affect the gauge accuracy? I really only need to know when to get more gas so i don't have to drive around with a small gas tank in the trunk for when I get stranded. Right now I fill her up everytime I take her out and she only seems to get stranded when I drive with the wifey.
Thanks,
Chris
70 Charger R/T 440C.I 727 3.23's