News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

grandson's honda

Started by poppa, April 07, 2020, 04:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hey guys , my grandson has a 99 civic , 1.6 5 speed. Did a swap (engine) cuz he blew a rod.   now it has no spark . I want to test the coil and crank sensor. What order should I check these in ?? I was told the sensor has to work to check the coil but does the coil have to work to check the sensor ??? Ideas ? Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Todd Wilson

poppa

No codes. It's not sparking. It will spark once when you try to start it but no more. Changed the coil cuz we had one . Trying to find a way to test the crank sensor. Had a bad ground but took care of that. A video showed how to test the coil not sure if I am good with either coil. Going to try and find a decent wiring diagram for the engine compartment and check all connectors for color , may be difficult though , he has something called a Frankenstein engine. 2 different ones to make one. Thanks for the reply

b5blue

Jeep's had pickup fail due to crap getting on the end where the magnet sweeps by. OHM tester should show a pulse when cranking across leads. (Like Hall Effect in dist.)  :scratchchin:

poppa

Tried the test for pulse @ the neg side of coil , no pulse (blinking). Swapped igniter with an extra we had , no difference. I did get shocked twice unexpectedly.
once checking voltage at coil and once resting my hand on the trans while looking for spark from coil tower. That was fun. I don't understand how I got shocked though , I was well back holding the test light there???

b5blue

No ECU uses a crank position sensor most likely...one pulse per revolution. (Again I'm not a Honda guy.) A do dad pointed at the flywheel someplace.

smithenhiven

What year motor did he swap in?  If its 98 or earlier, the engine may have "OBD2A" plugs/wiring (unless he's reusing his 99 distributor and such), instead of the needed OBD2B for a 99-00.  Most engine sellers assume 96-00 Civic engines and components are interchangeable, and they are to an extent; but the distributors (and possibly things like crank sensors) were changed in 99.

This link may help with troubleshooting/testing the sensors

https://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/06/25/dtc-p0335-how-to-test-a-honda-civic-crankshaft-position-sensor/