News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modman intake

Started by c00nhunterjoe, April 09, 2020, 10:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Im tossing the idea of an intake swap. In the past i looked at the modman setup and there just wasnt enough info on it. Still not much out there. Long story short, im considering the max wedge port modman with a 6 pack top. Any of our resident engine guys have any direct experience with the modman in general? The open plenum and short runners reminds me of the inside of the factory crossrams so im familiar there.

cdr

I would talk to PRH  Dwayne Porter, he is also an Indy dealer.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on April 09, 2020, 01:52:02 PM
I would talk to PRH  Dwayne Porter, he is also an Indy dealer.

Dwayne is one of the guys im hoping chimes in with some hands on testing.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 09, 2020, 10:11:29 AM
Any of our resident engine guys have any direct experience with the Mosman....

I got nothing for ya.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on April 09, 2020, 06:38:20 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 09, 2020, 10:11:29 AM
Any of our resident engine guys have any direct experience with the Mosman....

I got nothing for ya.

Disappointing... i love your abuse stories. Reminds me of mine.

TexasStroker

I was just on Indy's website looking (or trying to look) at heads for a Magnum build.  They still have one of the worst websites I've seen, which is a shame.

I knew of a guy bracket racing that got one for his 500" Wedge powered Dart...he sunk a lot of time trying to get it figured out and ultimately switched back to a tunnel ram to be competitive/consistent.

I think they have potential, but the plenum is massive.  I guess if you have the right combo of CID and RPM and dial in the carbs it could be killer.  I agree though, not much solid info on them.  Really cool concept nonetheless.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: TexasStroker on April 11, 2020, 04:42:42 AM
I was just on Indy's website looking (or trying to look) at heads for a Magnum build.  They still have one of the worst websites I've seen, which is a shame.

I knew of a guy bracket racing that got one for his 500" Wedge powered Dart...he sunk a lot of time trying to get it figured out and ultimately switched back to a tunnel ram to be competitive/consistent.

I think they have potential, but the plenum is massive.  I guess if you have the right combo of CID and RPM and dial in the carbs it could be killer.  I agree though, not much solid info on them.  Really cool concept nonetheless.

Im hoping with the ownership change at indy, some things get updated as far as the site goes.
I am running a stock stroke 440. It currently shifts at 6800 and goes through the traps at about 73-7400. I also have a 426 wedge running a crossram. Im familiar with the large open plenums, just never messed with this particular one.

PRH

I haven't done any first hand testing of the Mod Man.

I can think of two that I sold that saw some regular track use.
One was std port size that was being run on a 493 with std port SR heads.
An Ede 6bbl intake was removed and the Mod Man with a 6bbl top replaced it.
No change in ET.
The "plan" was to at some point remove the heads and open them to MW size, and do the same to the manifold.
I have no knowledge of whether that happened or not.

Another customer took an Indy 440-2 off and installed a Mod Man to be legal for NSS Racing.
It was a little slower with the MM.

Whether or not it would work for the OP's combo is probably one of those "only one way to know for sure" scenarios.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

c00nhunterjoe

Thanks dwayne. I have the indy 2d  opened up to mw on it now with a 950. Looks like i might just have to pull the trigger on it and see what happens.

TexasStroker

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 12, 2020, 10:34:20 PM
Thanks dwayne. I have the indy 2d  opened up to mw on it now with a 950. Looks like i might just have to pull the trigger on it and see what happens.

Hopefully you can get it dialed in!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

heyoldguy

I believe if you are already running the Indy dual plane and switch to the Modman you are in for one heck of a disappointment. I've only seen one Modman run on a dyno and that was a disaster power wise. It wasn't on one of my engines so I don't have any records but I remember looking at it and thinking, "Well, back to the 1950's with the log manifolds."  Phew. It's cute but it never ran as good as the manifold it replaced (if I could just remember what manifold it replaced). The Modman would probably be better for boosted applications with it's big plenum and short runners.

c00nhunterjoe

Thanks for the info. I suspect a tenth or 2 loss switching from the indy dual plane to the modman 6 pack based on the engine in the car currently. It is only a 440 with 440-1 heads and a big roller. Runs 10.50s @128 at 4000 lbs in humid summer heat on the east coast on a 9 inch tire and stock suspension. Been .20s in good air. I have not raced the car with the indy intake. Times were taken with a welded up torker to fit the max wedge ports. From what i gather looking at images of the modman plenum, it needs big cubes or forced induction. Neither of which i have. Will be interesting if i pull the trigger on the setup. Still pondering.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 22, 2020, 07:31:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I suspect a tenth or 2 loss switching from the indy dual plane to the modman 6 pack based on the engine in the car currently. It is only a 440 with 440-1 heads and a big roller. Runs 10.50s @128 at 4000 lbs in humid summer heat on the east coast on a 9 inch tire and stock suspension. Been .20s in good air. I have not raced the car with the indy intake. Times were taken with a welded up torker to fit the max wedge ports. From what i gather looking at images of the modman plenum, it needs big cubes or forced induction. Neither of which i have. Will be interesting if i pull the trigger on the setup. Still pondering.

Have you really scaled that car ? just asking for a friend :)
Time slips, last time you talked about the Charger it was 10.90's, not doubting your word, I just get confused how stripped down Chargers & other B bodies weigh as much as my Charger with a Dana, A/C, & that very heavy A518, its just baffling to me, :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on April 22, 2020, 08:17:59 PM

Have you really scaled that car ? just asking for a friend :)
Time slips, last time you talked about the Charger it was 10.90's, not doubting your word, I just get confused how stripped down Chargers & other B bodies weigh as much as my Charger with a Dana, A/C, & that very heavy A518, its just baffling to me, :)

Thought i had my notes on my phone. Cant find them. Im 99% sure it scaled at 4011 pounds at the time of the 1st pass which was 10.99@ 124. That was a few yrs ago now and not a wide open run since i dont have a cage. The goal was to beat my buddies turbo mustang and lift. Soft launch, 1.6 60', I had him by 5-6 cars before i saw him in the mirror and lifted. That one is on video. I will find the notes tomorrow evening when i go to the garage. Car has a full interior less heater box. Has sound deadner and carpet. LOTS of bondo in the 1/4s. All steel factory panels and glass. It is far from gutted. Dana 60 with stock drums. Factory disc brakes up front. 727. Steel 440, alum heads, intake, wp housing and radiator. Aluminum vector wheels, 7s up ft 10s out back. All lights, switches, vacuum pods work etc.

cdr

I Know whats left of my glass hood is MUCH lighter than a steel hood, lots of sound deadener in mine also, was that race weight? mine is 3900 without me.
I guess if I had a steel hood it would ad 50ish LBS

128Mph@ 4klbs in the heat would put you in the over 700 Gross FWHP, 650ish net FWHP with a dual plane Indy intake,440 cid,, VERY impressive.

c00nhunterjoe

I cant remember if that was with or without me in it. Probably with. The mph was with the homemade intake. Have not ran it on the indy yet.

c00nhunterjoe

Only video i have unfortunately. 1st pass after it was together. You can hear how easy i left and rolled into and hear the lift top end when i saw the gap. If the quarantine ever ends i would like to run it with the indy intake to see the power difference against the hacked up intake before the 6 pack swap. I will try to find the low 10 time slips. The mustang in the video runs high 10s. He gave up with the gap and lifted as well as he has no cage either.

https://youtu.be/wsQhqrPZg4c

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 23, 2020, 06:24:59 AM
I cant remember if that was with or without me in it. Probably with. The mph was with the homemade intake. Have not ran it on the indy yet.

no matter what intake, over 700hp is impressive for a stock stroke 440, Fireman Rons Heavy ass Charger dont run 10.50's @128 That I know of,,, No matter his 572 cid  made 700 hp on the Dyno

c00nhunterjoe

My goal was 9.99 on stock oe suspension before i made changes. Dont quite think i will make it without a mineshaft air weekend and incredible track prep. The 9" tire is at its limit. It is incredibly streetable with the exception of fuel economy and speed. It cruises nice at 50, and gets a measured 3 miles per gallon. Will run on 93 pump gas at 34 degrees of timing and no signs of detonation on the plugs although i have not tried to race it that way and it will not hook at all in any gear on street tires. The 10 second passes were on c12.

c00nhunterjoe

Cant find the breakdown sheet. Just total, 4011 lbs. Im going to assume that is with me in it. Guess i have to break out the scale Saturday morning

cdr

And in good air the Charger has gone 10.20's  NA  4000lb  WOW

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on April 23, 2020, 10:47:05 PM

And in good air the Charger has gone 10.20's  NA  4000lb  WOW

REALLY good air and REALLY good track prep. only done that once. 10.50s is the norm. The car is not happy on hard launches. It twists creaks and pops on 1.4 60' launches. I need to put a cage in it. The car runs strong and is alot of fun.

c00nhunterjoe

For what its worth, i scaled the car this weekend. With 12 gallons of fuel in the cell,  3880 less driver. I weigh 260.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 18, 2020, 11:19:56 AM
For what its worth, i scaled the car this weekend. With 12 gallons of fuel in the cell,  3880 less driver. I weigh 260.

so race weight is 4140

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on May 18, 2020, 12:33:39 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 18, 2020, 11:19:56 AM

so race weight is 4140

Correct,  i gave just the car as well since you were curious as a comparison to your car. Again on mine- all stock body parts, fully functional grill, full carpeted interior less heater box. Aluminum radiator, heads, wp housing, intake, rims. Headers to 18" collectors, 727, kevlar blanket, dana 60, stock suspension. Fuel cell, 31 series battery in the trunk. Dont think i missed any of the basics.