News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger fuel gauge not working properly help

Started by Lost Sheep, April 12, 2020, 01:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Sheep

I have a 68 Charger and the fuel gauge is not showing 3/4 of a tank like it should. Replaced the sending unit in the tank and wont show over 1/2. Anyone have any ideas why or ideas to make a ground to the tank? Thanks 8n advance.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

Kern Dog

Check this out:

XH29N0G

You might also look up information on sending units. The original mechanism, as I understand it, has resistance that changes in a non linear way.  The replacements can change in a linear way.  The gauge is calibrated to work with the non linear windings.  I could be completely wrong, but my fuel tank stopped reading correction with a change in sending unit.  I suspect it has been in and out of the tank when restored because there was a small change, but it still isn't right.  I do not remember if I tried the thing KD suggests.  I replaced it in the mid 1990's with the tank.  Next time I am under there I will check.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Yea the winding's spacing is constant on new units. Factory adjusted spacing to reflect volume reading something aftermarket has no chops to do.