News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Scam

Started by light man, April 16, 2020, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

light man

There is a Daytona for sale on Washington D. C. craigslist for $40,000. I sold this car XX29L9B405172 in 2009  to a fellow in New York. Late last year he sold it to someone in Washington D.C. I received a call from Galen Govier's office about this and after much talk and checking, we are pretty sure this is a scam. Obviously this price is way too cheap for a real Daytona. Buyer beware!!

birdsandbees

You'll kick yourself in the nuts if it's not!  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

70 sublime

Quote from: light man on April 16, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
There is a Daytona for sale on Washington D. C. craigslist for $40,000. I sold this car XX29L9B405172 in 2009  to a fellow in New York. Late last year he sold it to someone in Washington D.C. I received a call from Galen Govier's office about this and after much talk and checking, we are pretty sure this is a scam. Obviously this price is way too cheap for a real Daytona. Buyer beware!!

OK I will ask .   How much did you sell it for in 2009 since you think it is not the guy you sold it to now selling it ? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

For the heck of it I replied to the ad with this

does it still have the original numbers matching motor in the car ?
when could come see it in person ?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/silver-spring-1969-dodge-charger-daytona/7105124649.html

I got back this reply that did not answer any of my questions

Let me say that the Dodge Charger Daytona is available for $40000.
One of the cleanest Dodge Charger Daytona for sale anywhere. 1969 with only 50800 miles. One of the best all around driving cars you can buy.
A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle. Never been in any accidents. Clear title.
Where are you located?
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask.
Don't let this beauty go away !!!
Thank you   

PettyMower

Same here.....exact same message:

One of the cleanest Dodge Charger Daytona for sale anywhere. 1969 with only 50800 miles. One of the best all around driving cars you can buy.
A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle. Never been in any accidents. Clear title.
Where are you located?
Thank you

70 sublime

I sent another email this morning with this on it and got another reply an hour later

can you answer my questions I sent you ?
is it the original motor ?
when can come see car in person ?

This is what I got back

I'm sorry for this late response but I was out of civilization and I had no internet connection. I am working overseas with Weatherford International and I don't know when I will return because of this coronavirus.
Unfortunately my cell has no network coverage on the oil rig and the internet is pretty bad, just for email usage.This Daytona has not been restored but has been maintained over its lifetime by my father. The car runs and drives great, it has a non number match 440 and automatic transmission. The master has been sleeved, wheel cylinders replaced and calipers rebuilt, there has been at least one repaint and minor touch up on that coating. The interior looks fantastic for the age although the front seats need to be reupholstered (they have covers on them now) . The underside shows only surface oxidation on exposed metal and you can address that during restoration. The lower rear glass trim is not correct, heater core is bypassed due to a leak, front metal nose needs some attention. The headlights open and close as they should. This is a used unrestored 50 year old vehicle that shows age/use/climate wear, scuffs scratches, and worn finish. Please see the attached pictures, and confirm that you receive them as my internet connection is pretty bad, if you are still interested, get back to me please.

70 sublime

I bet when I press to come see the car it is sitting in a shipping container in say Alaska and they will deliver it for free   :nana: :nana:

held1823

yes, because legit people post a sale ad for their car when they have no internet access

the beauty of this is a scammer copied the scam ad of a scam ad of the real ad, word for word
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70 sublime

I asked this next

did your father buy it new ?
does it still have a fender tag ?

And just got this reply with a picture of VIN and a picture of fender tag

I believe my father was the second owner.
Please see the attached pictures.

I have now asked when can I come see it  :icon_smile_big:

PettyMower

It's description and the replies would make one think this is a legitimate deal. You can see the heater hose looped...just as they mention. This guy is good!  LOL

light man

I bought this car in Milwaukee, Wis. about 1985 and it had been run /street raced in town for I don't know how long. Someone had put a 4 speed tranny in at one point but had an automatic back in when I bought it. Totally non numbers matching. The car was originally sold at G.L.Miller Dodge in Chicago,Ill. This guys story about his father having it is complete B.S. !!! When I sold it in Feb. 2009 it went for a lot more than $40,000. The guy I sold it to did a lot of work on it and when he sold it late last year I am told he did make some money on it. This $40,000 price is a bunch of crap. Be very careful with this one.

Birdflu

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 17, 2020, 08:37:42 AM
I sent another email this morning with this on it and got another reply an hour later

can you answer my questions I sent you ?
is it the original motor ?
when can come see car in person ?

This is what I got back

I'm sorry for this late response but I was out of civilization and I had no internet connection. I am working overseas with Weatherford International and I don't know when I will return because of this coronavirus.
Unfortunately my cell has no network coverage on the oil rig and the internet is pretty bad, just for email usage.This Daytona has not been restored but has been maintained over its lifetime by my father. The car runs and drives great, it has a non number match 440 and automatic transmission. The master has been sleeved, wheel cylinders replaced and calipers rebuilt, there has been at least one repaint and minor touch up on that coating. The interior looks fantastic for the age although the front seats need to be reupholstered (they have covers on them now) . The underside shows only surface oxidation on exposed metal and you can address that during restoration. The lower rear glass trim is not correct, heater core is bypassed due to a leak, front metal nose needs some attention. The headlights open and close as they should. This is a used unrestored 50 year old vehicle that shows age/use/climate wear, scuffs scratches, and worn finish. Please see the attached pictures, and confirm that you receive them as my internet connection is pretty bad, if you are still interested, get back to me please.

WOW! I just cannot believe that there are people out there that think there are people out there that will digest this $hit! I, at least, understood what I was trying to say!  :rofl: :rofl:

Bronzedodge

I got the exact same reply at everyone else.  I said:

When is a good time to come see the car?

and got back...

Where are you located?
Thank you   

I might play a bit longer.  He didn't answer my question.
Mopar forever!

70 sublime

I still say the car is going to be in a shipping container someplace just waiting for some money to deliver it  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

steve817

Someone will fall for this scam and send him the money either as a down payment or entire amount. This scammer has all the right words to convince someone so desperate to own one of these awesome cars. Did everyone or someone report this? It's so sad that this animal has to take advantage of others!

Wakko

I emailed and asked if I could ship the car.  Let's see how long I can string him along.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

70 sublime

Think they have stopped replying to me  :P