News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repair or replace this trunk lid?

Started by Wakko, April 19, 2020, 01:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I need to swap out the trunk lid on my car and have had this spare for years. It has rust, inside and out, a couple dings and dents and a bent up corner.  I cannot fix it myself.  While I know it's repairable, is it worth it for me to pay to have it done or get a replacement and sell this one?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Wakko

More pics. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

green69rt

My  :Twocents:

If you have to pay to have it fixed then probably not worth it.  If you can do it yourself then maybe.  Buying a new one from AMD will need some more work as they are not, usually, very flat and will need skim coated and blocked to prep them for paint.  But the old one will need that plus much more, so......

Edit: just checked price for a new trunk lid.  SRP was $650!  Gone up since I last looked.  Maybe it is worth fixing.   :shruggy:

Bronzedodge

Mopar forever!

b5blue

Tape the holes and fill inside with evaporust for a few days and fix!

Wakko

Will the evaporust be held in from the tape? Afterwards how does the inside get coated to prevent a recurrence?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

b5blue

Yea tape will hold fine. Flush it out and dry, repair it then pour in paint and roll around to coat.

green69rt

If you end up dipping the trunk lid to get rid of the rust, you can then coat the inside with something like Eastwood Internal Frame Coating.  Spay a bunch inside until you have a puddle then just tilt the lid this-way-and-that to coat all the internal surfaces.  It's extremely runny so do this somewhere outside.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

Wakko

Good tip.  I don't expect to do anything with it at all until I make a decision on keeping/using it or not. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM